Hotel D'Alsace

Hotel d'Alsace
Expedia.com Agoda.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Paris

Don't cross this street!Don't cross this street!

Jardin du LuxembourgJardin du Luxembourg

The famous Bassin d'Apollon.The famous Bassin d'Apollon.

Porte Saint Martin, Paris, France 2009Porte Saint Martin, Paris, France 2009

AIRPORT SHUTTLES

by losham

I will be in Paris in October and plan to take an airport shuttle from GDG to my hotel in Paris.

Is there a difference between AIRPORT EXPRESS and BLUE VAN shuttles that you know of? Which would say is more reliable.

Thanks

Losham

by nzbased

Our only experience is with Blue Van. In June we booked them to take us from Ile de la Cite apartment to CDG at 10am. We waited with luggage on the street and after 30 mins, husband re-entered vacated apt. to phone. Said they had a puncture and he would be 15 mins. When the guy eventually arrived, he said he had just been asked to pick us up 15 mins earlier and he was angry that we were upset at now being 45 mins late to leave for CDG, saying it wasn't his fault - he was just doing his job! So an unpleasant ride to CDG. Their booking system did not work on this occasion, and their operations person was obviously untruthful on the phone!

by Beausoleil

On the other side of the coin, we have used Paris Blue Shuttle many times when we had a very early flight and they have always been on time and polite. We plan to use them again in the future if we have a need.

If you don't have a particularly early or late flight, why not take the RER train into town? Especially at rush hour, it's faster and it's certainly cheaper.

Just a thought. Enjoy your trip.

by Roadquill

I have generally had good experience with shuttles, however, we always leave (or schedule to leave) extra early due to the potential of something going wrong with the shuttle, especially when you have to be at the airport at a given time. You never know with a shuttle as to how many other stops they will make before actually heading towards the airport. From the airport to your hotel is generally no big deal. That said, if there are only two of you taking the RER B line to Gare du Nord and then taking a taxi from the train station might be a good idea. Karl

by losham

Thanks to all of you for the info.

I want the shuttle instead of the RER/metro because even though my luggage is on wheels it's difficult for me to shlep it -- especially on the metro and I don't want my husband to carry my luggage if there are stairs involved -- I'm not sure if all the stations now have elevators/escalators. It has been over 10 years since I was last in Paris and I do remember there are long walks in some stations to get to the exit.
I'm from New York and always use the Blue van to get to JFK and yes they do give you a tour of the city to destinations in either direction but they do promise to get you to the airport on time if you accept their pickup time which is at least 4 hrs earlier so for a 9AM flight 4:30 AM can be a bit much especially when there is hardly any traffic at that time. But taking the long route to the city can be nice since there may be locals in the van with you who can tell you much about areas. We always talk with people in the van going home from JFK.

So again I thank you for the info and Pedmar (your advise is always good) the yellow van looks good and charges 18 euros pp so that may be our choice. I'm also looking at which seems to quote $20 pp which if so would be much cheaper because of the exchange rate.

Happy trails.....

Losham

Travel Tips for Paris

Drinking in Public

by Bela_LUng

No, I swear, I am not an alcoholic, althought I play one on TV. In Paris you can go to the local Nicholas (wine store), grab a bottle of wine (and a bottle opener of course!) and go sit by the Seine and drink it up. Totally legal. Sure, sounds weird, but no visit to Paris is complete without a sip of a nice red wine in the shade on a lazy afternoon. Just make sure you are wearing clothes, since that is still illegal (for now! WEE!). Can't remember. But the hangover was hell, so I assume it was awesome. Oh, and I still had money in my wallet!

Riding on the Metro

by mydreamquest

I believe the Los Angeles New Wave band Berlin were referring to Paris in their song "Riding on the Metro." This is a picture of Reuilly-Diderot where I'd transfer to the 1 line to go to the main areas of Paris.

During rush hour (6pm) on any day of the week, you may have to stand a lot and be packed in with people.

You can purchase a 5 day pass at Expedia for about $45 which pays for your bus, RER, and Metro transportation. For all practical purposes, you will spend most of your subway traveling on the metro lines 1-15.

If you purchase a subway pass from Expedia, you will most likely have to go to Gare du Nord Station at the Tourist Information booth to pick up your pass and useful map. I walked from my hotel on Rue de Citeaux all the way to Gare du Nord which took me about an hour and a half.

Visit the Louvre Museum.

by sheryl_tan

The museum contains some of the most important art collections in the world. You will get to see the famous smiling 'Monalisa' here. The glass pryamid is a new addition and is now the main entrance to reach the galleries. It's only a pity that on that day, there was a strike at the museum, and we don't have the time to explore the museum.

The French are friendly! Really!

by Erin74

The stereotype of the rude Parisian could not be further from the truth. In my trips to Paris I've actually found that the French are some of the nicest people around and they will literally go out of their way to help you.

How to stay on the good side of Parisians:

1. TRY to speak French. They know that your French stinks, but they appreciate it when you try. They'll probably reply in English just to make it easier for both of you. But showing a little respect by attempting to speak their language is a good way to go.

2. Don't inconvenience them. Parisians hate to be inconvenienced. They don't mind stopping to help you out, but they hate it when you hold up lines or block sidewalks. DON'T ask 50 questions of the ticket seller in the Metro if there's a long line behind you. DON'T stop in the middle of the sidewalk if crowds are trying to get by.

3. Don't be so darn loud. Americans aren't the only ones guilty of this. In fact, there are other nationalities even louder than us. In general, the French speak in softer tones-- particularly in public places like restaurants. They find it rude when you carry on loud conversations in places like this.

If it's your first visit to Paris, I bet you'll be surprised at how lovely and accomodating the people are. I've come to truly love and respect the French and always enjoy my stay in Paris!

Berets in Paris

by BeatChick

Berets seem to have made a comeback this year in the City of Light. This year, as no other, I've noticed berets all over the place. This was one huge surprise as even on le Parisians one saw berets. Most beautiful was a stylish red one on a grandmotherly 80-ish woman on le Metro. I was glad to see that it had made its comeback since there were so few during my last visit in 2003.

Photos: February 2006