Hotel Opera Maintenon

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Paris

head de Millehead de Mille

Northeast Garden under the Eiffel TowerNortheast Garden under the Eiffel Tower

Perfect day in Paris...Perfect day in Paris...

In front of world's famous departmental storeIn front of world's famous departmental store

Need help for first time in Paris

Greetings,
In 29th September I'm going to Paris for the first time.
I will stay 5 nights there.
I really could use help on finding a cheap place to sleep. I'm looking for a single bedroom close to the Metro.
On booking.com I can get very cheap rooms (150EUR->190EUR) but the reviews are awefull.

Also, can someone explain me how the Metro works? Is there any pass for 5 days?

Thank you in advance for any information that might help me.
Best regards.
Sandro

by hb_capri

hi,
We stayed at the Hotel De Champs Elysees in Feb'08. Its just off the Champs Elysee and walking distance from Metro station. The rooms are small but clean and convenient. Our only complaint was the size of the elevator and the breakfast was not good. So i'd advice u have breakfast outside.i'd choose this hotel for its location.Check the link below for availability on ur dates.When we stayed the rates were around 100 euros a night without breakfast. Now the rates are a bit higher coz they rennovated recently.

Abt the metro, you can get a book (carnet i think) of 10 tickets and use when needed. You can also take a day pass which worked out very cheap for us

Hope this helps

Harsha

by sandroasantos

Thank you for your reply.

That hotel looks great, but it's too expensive for my pocket.
I will return from Paris to *portugal in 4th October and then London for more 3 days, so I must try to find something as cheap as possible.

by hb_capri

oh sorry it dint work out.I thought the rates for classic rooms were around 130 euros and u said 150-190 was cheap:)have u looked at apartment options?

by weezybee

Hi Sandro!

I know a very good place in Paris that is a really great value! Actually I know two hotels, the first one is the "l'Annexe", clean, cheap and close to 'Republique' a famous place in Paris, with a lot of restaurants and shops, and the other is also located in "Republique" and it's called "le taylor", it's beautiful, well decorated, and the staff is so nice and toughtful!
You should check their websites and make up your mind! Le taylor : http://www.paris-hotel-taylor.com
L'annexe : http://www.annexe-paris-hotel.com

As for the metro, go the official site, here it is : http://www.ratp.fr/ you can have it in english and they explain everything about the choices you have regarding metro tickets and passes!

I hope it'll help you =)

by zuriga

Michelet Odeon Hotel - I've stayed there 5 times. Great location next to the Odeon Theatre and across from the Luxemburg Gardens.. one block to the Metro. Rooms are about Euro 110-120 - modern, modern bathrooms etc. Many restaurants within a short walking distance.. I love it. :-)

by sandroasantos

Thank you everyone for replying to this topic.
When I created the thread, I think I was missleading because I stated 150<->160EUR and said it was a nice price. But I meant 150<->160Eur for all the 5 nights.

www.paris35.com is a great site. I found many rooms up to 230EUR for all the 5 nights. Now I must choose one.
I would like to be as close as possible to the Metro, and in a safe area.

Thank you all for the help!
Regards

by zuriga

Glad to hear you found some choices!!

Travel Tips for Paris

Palace of Versailles

by alancollins

Saving time & money Went to the Palace of Versailles recently. Discovered that the Palace was not open till 12noon. Most people just waited and queued till 12 noon. Discovered that you can go into the gardens for free until 12. So if you get there early and the Palace is not open walk across to the Trianons first. If you get back in the main gardens by 12 there is no charge. Its only 3 euros but every little helps.

Vazaha as cleaning personnel

by Norali

My first flight was great.. no fear, no malaise... I was with my parents, comforted so it went OK... I was given a plastic gameboard (jeu de dame) as pasttime on board. Yet, I didn't have time to play with it. At that time, kids used to receive gameboards, coloriage books to keep them busy. I think I spent time listening to the many music stations available.

When we landed at Orly airport.... I admit I don't have any memory of it. Except, the shuttle in the airport we took from a point to another (terminal?).

I knew my uncle (mum's brother) was going to pick us up... So, he was there. We had a stop over Marseille. And I had some memory of it, indeed. When we landed, I could see then the sea from above... Again, it sounds silly to talk about that but this, so far, was engramed in my mind.

Something you wouldn't expect to be surprising: the sight of French (and whites in general) persons cleaning and removing garbage bins from corners in the plane. That was during the stopover. In Madagascar, vazaha (white persons) use to be bosses... not part of cleaning staff... Well, that was strange for me.

The No. 1 Paris Icon - the Eiffel Tower

by jrs1234

I've never actually climbed it - but I just love looking at it close up. While you can see it from all over central Paris, it's much more spectacular close up. Built in 1889, it attracts hordes of tourists, so expect long queues. Charges vary depending on how far you go up and whether you take the stairs or the lift. In summer it's open from 9am until midnight, with slightly shorter hours the rest of the year.

Try and get to see it after dark as well as in the day - there's a relatively new lighting system in now - and for 10 minutes every hour of darkness this is switched to make the tower "glitter" and it's very pretty!

Always greet them with bon...

by calex

Always greet them with bon jour( daytime) or bon soir (night time) and if you speak french you are golden, if not then good luck trying to communicate, on my first day there it took me a half hour to order a bottle of coke.
no need to tip but it usually makes me feel better about myself

Packing List

by Tobin

Take small bags because everything there is small including the elevators. It's kind of like the mid-west over there. The weather changes in split seconds. Take whatever you feel comfortable in. If you can afford to fly there, then you can buy some clothes when you are there. Just take the normal stuff. Maybe a shower curtain because for some reason, they don't believe in them. Oh, take an adapter for plugging your stuff in. Take whatever you want. I tool like 14 throw away cameras. Used all of it too. We went to the south of France and had a great time on the Med. Take your time and relax. Don't pick a fight with anyone and if you smoke Virginia Slims, they don't make them there.

Comments