Hotel de Reims

More about Paris

Seine river banks, ParisSeine river banks, Paris

Les InvalidesLes Invalides

The ThinkersThe Thinkers

View from the top the other way.....View from the top the other way.....

Rooming questions?

by dersh62

Arriving May 10 staying in Paris for 2 nights before taking the train to Rome. I have read alot of the hotel forums and have looked at several sites. Has anyone ever used Priceline Name Your Own Price in Europe? I've used it tons in the U.S. and never been disappointed. I was in Paris about 10 years ago so I am familiar with the area. Three females wanting to stay in one room for less than $150 a night.

Thanks!

by alza

hi dersh
I don't know Priceline.
I was automatically directed to a general site "Federal" or something.
There is something available at 3 star hotel Best Western Star Champ Elysées, with discount rate about 125E per night, and there's room.
Follow this link to check it out and search for more hotels from same site if you wish.

by the way, an extra bed, folding or otherwise, not permanent, can be installed on request and usually for a supplement. It's called a "lit d'appoint" in French. Or you might ask for a double room (2 big beds OR one big bed and one sofa-bed (called "divan-lit")

Good luck and bon voyage!

by Dabs

I've used Priceline a lot in London, I've used it in Brussels and Budapest as well, works the same way in Europe as it does in the US. I've not used it for Paris, I always seem to be able to find something reasonable and the deals in Paris that I see people getting aren't as dramatic as the savings you can get on London hotels.

You might check out this website to see if bidding in Paris makes sense for you

One thing I will mention though is that Priceline does not guarantee more than room for 2 people and Parisian hotels can be quite small, it might not be a risk you want to take. I have stayed at hotels that are barely big enough for the two of us and the hotel is not required to make room for a 3rd with Priceline.

by dersh62

Thanks for the good tips! www.priceline.com is the website and then click on the banner "Name Your Own Price" and you can negoiate for a room It's a little scary at first but it works great!

by Dabs

Pedmar, do all hotels in Paris have rooms that can accomodate 3 people? Before bidding on Priceline I would take a look at biddingfortravel.com, see what hotels people are getting and make sure that the hotel class I was bidding on had larger rooms. I would think most Hilton/Hyatt types would be able to accomodate a 3rd person.

I did Priceline once when we had 3 people in London (2 were kids) and I was able to get an extra bed brought in but it wasn't very comfortable, fortunately it was one of the kids who got to sleep in it. Just be aware that person #3 might be getting a cot and not a real bed.

After you get a winning bid, contact the hotel and verify that you can have a 3rd person in the room. They will likely charge you extra as mentioned, I think our charge was an extra £10 for the bed per night.

Travel Tips for Paris

Go out and eat at as many...

by Mr_Edd_20

Go out and eat at as many Parisian Restaraunts as possible, the food is well worth the sometimes hefty price. I especially liked the pizzas. But places that you must see are of course, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Take a river cruise on the Seine River, See the Arc de Triomphe, Moulon Rouge, Museo D'Orsay (an old train station renovated into a museum), and the Louvre Museum (this museum houses many fine, world reknown works of art, ranging from the painting of Mona Lisa to Napoleon's house with all of it's GOLDEN furniture and chandeliers.) Make sure you set aside almost an entire day to see the Louvre, because its corridors and halls are so vast, that you probably wouldn't see everything if you spent a week in there. This is not really a fond memory, but it is kinda funny now when I look back on it. My friend Dale, & I had to catch a train to Paris as soon as our plane landed in Frankfurt, Germany. Well, our plane was late, so in turn, we were late for our train, so I had to drive all the way to Paris so we wouldn't miss the Tool, Papa Roach, and Alien Ant Farm concert in Paris. They drive like maniacs in Paris, and I knew this, which is why I dreaded driving there. I didn't stand a chance on the streets of Paris. Well, God-willing, I'm still alive, but my car has a dent and scratch from the front fender to the rear of the car. Now, I know what you're thinking, 'he wrecked his car in Paris!' Well, you're wrong....I am a proud survivor of Parisian streets, but not of the long drive hone on the autobahn........I fell asleep and hit a guard rail. What does this have to do with traveling to Paris? Nothing, but be carefull of the maniacs on the streets though.

How to get a good snog off a Frenchwoman

by sourbugger

There is a certain poster (see opp.) that adorns student walls all over the place. The great beauty of the picture is whether is has been caught 'candidly' or whether it was staged.

When the woman featured in Robert Doisneau's classic photograph of a couple kissing outside Paris city hall sold her original print at auction then we knew the answer - it was staged.

The picture in question , "Kiss by the Hotel de Ville", sold for 155,000 euros recently.

Francoise Bornet and her then boyfriend agreed to pose for the picture in 1950.

You too can recreate the scene outside the town hall (Hotel d'ville) by getting a load of photo equipment and getting a friend to set it up. Then find a long coat, pull your head through a hedge backwards, and finally approach a likely looking statuesque Freenchwoman for a surprised snatched kiss. It may work, and you can sell your work for a fortune or, alternatively you may end up in hospital with bruised shins and on a charge of sexual harrassment.

Wine

by CALSF

I like that you can go to a cafe and order wine by the pitcher. It's called 'en pitchet' (in a pitcher) and there are several sizes to choose from. This way you don't get convinced to buy an entire bottle of wine. We ended up purchasing a regular size bottle of red wine at Vieux Bistro and the type we ordered was their cheapest at approximately 27 euro! They do sell smaller bottles which is generally equal to two glasses or a little bit more. It's still not reasonable either.

I noticed when I came here...

by Bluereptile

I noticed when I came here that there were quite alot of Japanese here. This was a little surprising for me since I'd never seen any Japanese in the UK. I wonder what it is about Paris which attracts them?

Champ de Mars

by iamjacksgoat

The Champ de Mars is not out of the way or undiscovered; it is right by the Eiffel Tower. However, I could not find where to write about this green spot, so I decided to put it here. I sat on the green for a while and stared at the Eiffel Tower at night. It was beautiful. It is nice to stop touring and just take a break.

The metro station closest would be Champ de Mars - Tour Eiffel