Hotel de la Herse d'Or

Aeg007's Profile Photo

Excellent value, very charming

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 3, 2010

I studied in Paris for a fall semester, and retourned by myself to Paris for the following spring break (I just can't seem to stay away from Paris, I love it too much)

The neighborhood is very safe, which I knew when I booked the hotel. I was very picky with hotels since I was a young, college-aged girl staying alone. The Bastille neighborhood is safe, and the hotel is very safe. The people at the desk recognized me after only a few days, and were very helpful if I needed any advice. The only drawback was having to leave the key at the desk when I left during the day, but it was really only a minor annoyance.

This hotel was a great deal for the price I paid. I stayed on the 3rd or 4th floor (if my memory serves me right), and there was no elevator, but this isn't a rarity in Europe, so I only minded it when lugging my suitcase up the stairs. The room was very cute, had what was probably a full-ish sized bed, a desk and chair, small closet, a sink, mirror, tv, and hair dryer. The bathroom was on the same floor, and rather small, but clean. The shower was one floor up. It was a small room that had been converted into a shower, so it was quiet spacious! The only drawback was that it was hard to keep everything from getting wet - so have a plastic bag or something to keep your towel dry. I only once had to wait for it, and I never had a cold shower, which is more than I can say for some hostels. Unlike some people, I did not have to go down to the reception desk to get a key for the shower or the bathroom, and I was never charged. Perhaps it depends on which floor you are using?

There was a computer, though rather slow, in the lobby for travelers to use!

My window faced an ally way, and my room was very quiet! At one point there was a huge protest/march going by La Bastille, and I could barely hear a thing from my room! Though the walls were pretty thin within the hotel, but again, i wasn't surprised, as most small hotels in older european cities are older buildings.

The hotel is excellently located! It is very close to the Bastille Métro stop, which connects to three métro lines, the 1 (a good tourism line that hits many tourist spots), the 8 and the 5. And not far from the Saint Paul stop, and a few others.

I have recommended this hotel to people my age, looking for a good, well-located, but inexpensive place to stay in Paris.

Directions: Bastille Neighborhood, in the 4th arrondisement, near central paris, near le Marais.

kcrismier's Profile Photo

Good value in the Bastille neighborhood

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 4, 2005

We would recommend this hotel as a good value in the Bastille area. Sure, the room is small and narrow, and the bed is not exactly a queen size, but what do you expect for 48 euros a night? The location is good, being right on rue St Antoine, and with shops, restaurants and metro stop (Bastille) nearby.

Our room had a balcony looking out over the busy street. We liked the view, and the noise wasn't so bad that we couldn't sleep. Our room had a sink, TV, no a/c.

The only bad thing was having to go down to reception every morning to get the shower key. Showers were 2 euro per person per night, although they didn't charge us for our last 2 showers.

The dining room served breakfast for 5 euros which we skipped.

Directions: Get off at Bastille, walk up rue St Antoine. Hotel is on the right.

Nearby Hotel de la Herse d'Or

• Room Service
  • Business Services
  • Free High Speed Internet

Paris Travel Forum

Need advice about Paris, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Paris and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Paris hotel reviews