Hotel de la Herse d'Or

Hotel de la Herse d'Or
Agoda.com Booking.com Hotels.com

• Aeg007's Profile Photo

Excellent value, very charming

I studied in Paris for a fall semester, and retourned by myself to Paris for the following spring break (I just can't seem to stay away from Paris, I love it too much)

The neighborhood is very safe, which I knew when I booked the hotel. I was very picky with hotels since I was a young, college-aged girl staying alone. The Bastille neighborhood is safe, and the hotel is very safe. The people at the desk recognized me after only a few days, and were very helpful if I needed any advice. The only drawback was having to leave the key at the desk when I left during the day, but it was really only a minor annoyance.

This hotel was a great deal for the price I paid. I stayed on the 3rd or 4th floor (if my memory serves me right), and there was no elevator, but this isn't a rarity in Europe, so I only minded it when lugging my suitcase up the stairs. The room was very cute, had what was probably a full-ish sized bed, a desk and chair, small closet, a sink, mirror, tv, and hair dryer. The bathroom was on the same floor, and rather small, but clean. The shower was one floor up. It was a small room that had been converted into a shower, so it was quiet spacious! The only drawback was that it was hard to keep everything from getting wet - so have a plastic bag or something to keep your towel dry. I only once had to wait for it, and I never had a cold shower, which is more than I can say for some hostels. Unlike some people, I did not have to go down to the reception desk to get a key for the shower or the bathroom, and I was never charged. Perhaps it depends on which floor you are using?

There was a computer, though rather slow, in the lobby for travelers to use!

My window faced an ally way, and my room was very quiet! At one point there was a huge protest/march going by La Bastille, and I could barely hear a thing from my room! Though the walls were pretty thin within the hotel, but again, i wasn't surprised, as most small hotels in older european cities are older buildings.

The hotel is excellently located! It is very close to the Bastille Métro stop, which connects to three métro lines, the 1 (a good tourism line that hits many tourist spots), the 8 and the 5. And not far from the Saint Paul stop, and a few others.

I have recommended this hotel to people my age, looking for a good, well-located, but inexpensive place to stay in Paris.

Directions: Bastille Neighborhood, in the 4th arrondisement, near central paris, near le Marais.

• kcrismier's Profile Photo

Good value in the Bastille neighborhood

We would recommend this hotel as a good value in the Bastille area. Sure, the room is small and narrow, and the bed is not exactly a queen size, but what do you expect for 48 euros a night? The location is good, being right on rue St Antoine, and with shops, restaurants and metro stop (Bastille) nearby.

Our room had a balcony looking out over the busy street. We liked the view, and the noise wasn't so bad that we couldn't sleep. Our room had a sink, TV, no a/c.

The only bad thing was having to go down to reception every morning to get the shower key. Showers were 2 euro per person per night, although they didn't charge us for our last 2 showers.

The dining room served breakfast for 5 euros which we skipped.

Directions: Get off at Bastille, walk up rue St Antoine. Hotel is on the right.

More about Hotel de la Herse d'Or

A great time overall!

by TripAdvisor Member kath555

I booked this hotel for 9 nights and I've decided that your experience in this hotel simply depends on which room you stay in.

When we first checked in we were assigned to a room that was not up to any standards i would want to stay in a lengthy amount of time in. The bathroom in this particual room was insanely small and not very clean. And the room itself was very dark (even when you turned on the lights) and it just wasnt what i wanted to stay in for 9 nights.

So - we switched our room up to the 5th floor (prepare yourself for quite a few steep steps!) to room 30. The room was facing the "courtyard" - not the street which made it so much quiter then the previous room. And second- it was a comfortable size with a much larger, more average size bathroom.There were hardwood floors and a large closet along with a clean and comfy double bed. Ive also decided the higher up you are, the quieter it is- it wasnt noisy at all during our stay and the hotel was full.

Here are my pros & cons of this hotel.

Pros:
- Very friendly staff! My boyfriend and I had great conversations with them almost every morning and night and they were extremely helpful providing us with any information on how to get us to our tourist attractions for that day

-I felt very safe in the neighbourhood and the metro couldnt be any closer to your doorstep- plus youre around a ton of great restaurants and markets for food ; shops for clothing and what not - its a very central, easy to get to location

-the hotel had a telephone and computer in it

- The breakfast in the morning is definately worth the price, a huge piece of bagette and croissant with coffee or a hot drink and juice, it was very convienient!

- A great room (be sure to climb the stairs without your luggage to check it out first!)

Cons:
-There was a ton of stairs, you get used to it after a few days- but its definately a work out depending what floor youre on!

-As odd as this sounds- our bed made a kind of crunchy noise from the mattress cover- it was almost "plasticy" instead of fabric so it could get super annoying at night if you rolled over etc.

----I would definately come to this hotel again & both my boyfriend and I really enjoyed our stay here!

A great choice, if you look for good location at a resonable price!

by TripAdvisor Member GabyNY

This is not Hotel George V. It’s hard to find in Paris a hotel happily situated and at a reasonable price. I spend 9 nights on room 15. My expectations were not so high, but what I got was way above. I booked, after I read reviews on Trip Advisory directly on their site. It is the perfect choice for a visitor that walks 10 hours/day and needs a good place to sleep. If you look for basic comfort and don’t want to pay much, this is the hotel. The location it is great, 20 min walk to Notre Dame in a very nice neighborhood; shops, cafés and all kinds of stores; wine, patisserie, chocolate, super market....... Close to Metro at Place de la Bastille. The rooms are not big, but clean with basic comfort. The staff was helpful, a very nice experience! The picture was taken from my room.

Cute and Cheap

by TripAdvisor Member jdaries

Was trying to travel on the cheap and not share a bathroom, and so we landed here. Really liked the location and the neighborhood, and the day staff was pretty friendly. I don't remember his name now, but the main desk clerk guy who answers your emails actually went out and bought a basket of chocolates for us because my mother had contacted him and got him to do it for her, so that's pretty nice service. The walls were pepto-bismol pink and the tile in the bathroom was pretty weird, so we liked the quirkyness, but the bed wasn't super-comfortable, and there was no elevator. Since it was my first time in Paris, and it was Christmas, I think I would have liked anywhere, but I'll probably look for something a little nicer next time. But a memorable place to stay on the cheap, and we stayed 12 nights so it couldn't be all that bad.

Cheap n Cheerful

by TripAdvisor Member frielp

This was just a quick visit to Paris to see a few sights and soak up a bit of culture and pastis. Hotel de la Herse d'Or was found by my sister online and she made the booking on my behalf with no difficulties. My room was a low budget option with no en suite wc or bathroom; these were located down the hall. En suite facilities are available in the dearer rooms. The room was small but clean and tidy the furniture was ok but not chic or owt. the bed was comfy enough.

Staff were friendly and helpful. I did not eat at the small dining area, so I cannot comment, though folk seemed to be enjoying their 'petit déjeuner' So small and friendly with no frills but thumbs up for the low prices.

Great location, nice staff, would stay again

by TripAdvisor Member mswan058

Very nice hotel. Was looking for a budget option, so this hotel fit the bill. I decided on the no bath washroom option, and it was fine. The shower was always available. Great location, right next to a central metro station. Felt safe walking from the hotel to metro at night. Would stay again.

Cheap & cheerful

by TripAdvisor Member Londoner054

5-7 Feb 08
Two Londoners

Simple, basic & clean - friendly staff. V good value for such a central location, would recommend for short stay. We chose the attic room for its space and angled view out over roof tops even though it did mean 86 stairs to climb! (No lift)

small hotel with good location

by TripAdvisor Member Operatraveller

We arrived from Germany and checked into our tiny room which had no closet and a uncomfortable bed with a roll as a pillow. The roll was tucked into the sheet so you couldn't take it out. The entry into the room was so narrow we nearly couldn't get the suitcase in. The little table at the left side of the room is tilted towards the middle of the room as is the little Ablage on the top of the sink. In regards to the TV only 6 channels work and all in French. The staff was very accomodating and friendly. The location is great and only a minute away from the Opera Bastille.

did not like

by TripAdvisor Member lemonaidToronto

MY daughter booked us a double room at Herse d'or for 11 nights as it looked good to us from the web. When we arrived, everything was good until we got to the room. The room was drab and dreary. Okay, we're only using it to sleep in. However, it became apparent very quickly that all was not right with the bathroom. I'm not bothered by small bathrooms, but I'm not happy with ones that are cold, have a leaking toilet every time it's flushed so much mould on the shower stall and the curtain that neither one of us wanted to take a shower. The bathroom also smelled so badly that the odour permeated the bedroom all the times. We put up with it for five nights then we left. I got us a room at another hotel (Hotel Sevigne) nearby. It wasn't perfect, but I would stay there again. I will not stay at Herse d'or again. If you think I,m being fussy, or you have friends who've stayed there and liked it, by all means check in. Just don't let them give you room 14.

Comments