Hotel du Parc

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• davequ's Profile Photo

Affordable Rooms in Montparnasse

Hotel du Parc in Montparnasse is a decent, clean and affordable 2-star hotel.

Sitting under the shadow of the Montparnasse Tower (about 4 blocks away), there is one flight of stairs from street level to the first-floor lobby.
    After that, there is an elevator to take you to rooms on the higher floors.

Like most hotels, (my recommendation)skip breakfast and walk 2 little blocks to the famous Montparnasse cafes (Atelier, Select, Rotonde and Coupole) for a great Parisian breakfast in historic surroundings.

The hotel is conveniently located a block from the very useful Edgar Quinet Metro stop on Ligne 6 which will get you anywhere you want to go in Paris in just minutes, or a stroll a couple streets down (south) to Metro Gaite.
    The neighborhood is deceptively historic, effectively 'Henry Miller Centrale' (his room 40 at the Hôtel Central he shared w / Anaïs Nin & June is directly across the street, along with the moody little Cafe Milou)

My top floor room was clean, functional/adequate, and looked out over the park and the distinctive Montparnasse roofline.

For Eu74 / $89 a night I think you still get your moneys worth: a clean, well furnished room with shower, and a lift/elevator from the lobby to your floor. (They also have "Single économique" rooms for 50 Euros, but the bathroom and shower facilities are shared .... eewwww ...)

There are possibly as-good or better deals in Paris, but if you're stuck looking for a budget hotel room in a decent location, du Parc will do the trick.
    I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Unique Quality: A small park (Sq Gaston Baty - sometimes called 'Square du Maine') is right across the street.

Staff is helpful. Breakfast (5,5 Euro)is ok if you're too lazy to walk to a cafe.
    They now have highspeed internet access.
    Good views if you get a room on a high floor overlooking the park with Tour Montparnasse on your right.
    With a shower & private toilet, about 74 Euros / night with internet offer bookings in high season.
    OK for Paris, and in an area that has character Montparnasse/(Gaite).

You won't rave about it, but you won't hate it, and the area's fun.

Directions: Walk 1 block south by sw from Metro Edgar Quinet. On a strange little triangular shaped block, across the street from a little park (Sq Gaston Baty).
    At the confluence of rue Jolivet, rue Poinsot, Gaite, and rue du Maine

More about Hotel du Parc

Good value and location, not so great for young child

by TripAdvisor Member njpenne

My parents, my almost three-year-old daughter and I stayed at the hotel du parc for two nights in May before traveling to the Pays-Basque for an extended stay. We were looking for a reasonably priced hotel room close to Gare Montparnasse as we had an early morning train to Biarritz, a young child and quite a bit of luggage (including carseat, stroller, etc.) The hotel is only about a five minute walk from the train station, which was perfect. However, as others have mentioned, there is no elevator up to reception and after flying from the US and hauling all of our luggage it was pretty exhausting getting it up to the reception. The woman working at the front desk was very, very helpful and nice and even helped us carry our things up to the lobby.

The rooms are outdated, wear-worn and quite small (normal in Paris), but as others have indicated, they were spotlessly clean and the bathrooms were larger - almost the size of the room. There were surprisingly modern flat screen tvs in both of our rooms with cnn English. We ate breakfast at the hotel for the convenience and it was great (normal French breakfast with orange juice, tartines, croissants, butter, jam, and your choice of cafe au lait, hot chocolate or tea.) It was very nice to have a computer and internet access available in the lobby (for a small fee.) The staff were all very friendly, helpful and accomodating. They were really the best part of staying in the Hotel du Parc.

My only major complaint, and one I wouldn't have thought much about if I was traveling without a child, is that we were on the sixth floor down a long hallway and there was no exit other than the main stairwell. There was a fire extinguisher near the stairs, but it still felt like a possible fire-trap. My husband, daughter and I are going back to Paris soon on our way home and we are not staying at the Hotel du Parc because of the lack of a fire escape.

Overall, a good value, not at all fancy, but a clean place to sleep after a long day sight-seeing in Paris.

Friendly hotel, good location

by TripAdvisor Member Sunshine131

A nice location on a small square a short stroll from the Montparnasse Tower. Rooms clean with air conditioning and a super shower. No kettle. Breakfast a waste of money and best opt out of this option. Breakfast room minute and you had to wait for a table. Staff excellent and helpful

Loved the Hotel du Parc

by TripAdvisor Member IrishMam

My family stayed here for two nights at the end of June.We went to see Disneyland and this hotel was so close to the Metro we had no difficulty in reaching Disneyland for the day.We had two rooms which worked out fine for 2 adults,one teen and one child.
The room was spotless,had very comfortable beds and had a good sized shower in a new bathroom.The rooms were at the back and were nice and peaceful.There were plenty of cafes and bars just around the corner.There is a little square at the front and the area is just like I had always imagined Paris to be.The staff were friendly and helpful.The breakfast is a normal continental one.I would definitely like to stay here again..especially at the decent rate we got.

Great service, very clean, a little scruffy in parts

by TripAdvisor Member yankeedoodlehandy

Location
I won't describe the location in relation to the nearest metro etc. as this is already well described, but the hotel faces a pretty, quiet and tree covered and gated "square" (a triangle in fact). The "square" has a few ride on springy hobby horse thingies, and is well used for boules/petanc - I wasn't sure which.
On the opposite side to the square is a mini supermarket, nearby is a Monprix and some other big supermarkets.
The Montparnasse Tower shopping/office complex is 10 minutes walk and has lots of clothes/shoe shops etc. There is also a swimming pool in the main rail station complex (opposite the tower).

Getting there by car
Near the centre (a couple of k's away) of Paris. If you are travelling by car, make sure that your map or sat-nav is well up to date or you'll waste an hour trying to navigate the complex one way system.

Parking
There is "pay for" on-street parking outside the hotel, but to pay at the meters you'll need to get a "cartes de stationnement" or parking card from a newsagent or similar. Most mini-mart type shops and tabacs seem to have them and there are quite a few near the hotel. You can't use cash for the parking meters so if you plan on any driving around you will need these cards.
The local traffic wardens were OK for me being there 15 mins while I was loading up/unloading.
Once you've unloaded and want to leave your car somewhere longer term, there is long stay parking within 10 minutes walk near the Montparnasse tower complex (at about 25EUR/day).

Entrance
The hotel entrance has automatic entrance doors to a small lobby. You need to negotiate two flights of stairs to reach the small reception on the first floor, so if you are elderly or have small children and lots of bags you'll want some help - you could try asking at reception - I found them very helpful at all times.

Floors/shared areas
The floor my party stayed on was a little bit shabby, the carpets and decor had seen better days, but were very clean. There was automatic lighting that came on wherever you walked which worked well.
The shared toilets were newly decorated, with new looking fixtures, and spotless - very clean.

Rooms
We had two rooms, both were quite small with slightly tired decor and bedding (the sheets were newish and spotless and beds were very comfortable though).
The cleanliness throughout was excellent, and the shower rooms/toilets in both rooms looked quite new.
The view was classic Paris, backs of other buildings, but they are all quite old and interesting and in good repair, nice.
All the rooms had electronic locks with security cards, which worked well.
New looking air conditioning units were in each room, but we didn't need to use them.
Both rooms had nice LCD TV's, remote, with French telly, and (rather grainy) CNN. But who wants to watch TV in Paris?

Breakfast
Was included in our room rate, and was well served, the usual croissants/coffee/juice etc. The breakfast area was nicely fitted out but quite small, so you'd have to be up early to be sure of a table without waiting.
Service once you got seated was excellent.

Reception
Manned all the time, right through the night. The reception staff /owners we found friendly and very helpful at all times. It probably helps alot (as in most situations) if you are civil, and have a go with your French (but not too often if you're accent was as bad as mine...). Seemed to cope well with people of all nationalities.

Daytime/Evening Eating
If you want to stay local, there are stacks of bistro's, Thai, Japanese and other foreign eateries within a couple of minutes walk. Most are reasonably priced with reasonable food.

Summary
A conveniently located small and friendly family hotel with a good level of service. Decor of some of the floors and rooms is bit tired but very clean throughout, and a nice quiet location (for a city centre) for a short stay.

OK but single rooms share a shower next to the lobby!

by TripAdvisor Member DiScotland

The hotel is in a good location and very reasonably priced. I had a single room so no ensuite (although there was a sink in the room) but there is a toilet on each floor and only one single non en-suite room on each floor. However, the shower is in the toilet room next to the lobby/breakfast room and I was not too keen on that aspect - having to get dressed just to go and use the shower!

I didn't take breakfast as there are so many places close by and I always feel hotel breakfasts in France are surpassed by a fresh croissant from a nearby boulangerie.

The sound-proofing between rooms also left something to be desired - I could hear every word the people in the neighbouring room were saying - luckily for me they were quiet when I returned to go to bed about 11.

Great Location, Very Clean and Quiet Neighborhood

by TripAdvisor Member WishICldTrvlMore

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel du Parc for three nights in mid-September; we enjoyed the value and convenience of the hotel, in addition to the friendly and helpful staff. Don't expect a hotel with a large amount of amenities, however, the bathrooms are clean (the first thing my wife checked).

Best of all, the Hotel is close to many cafes, restaurants, and a grocery store (Monoprix). Also, the Hotel is directly across from a small park, which keeps the area relatively quiet at all times. Also, the Edgar Quinet metro station, which is two blocks away, can take you to all of the major sights in less than a half hour.

We didn't request the breakfast (around 6 Euros) because there are a few bakeries and creperies within walking distance. Also, the Edgar Quinet station is the site of a daily market (except Mondays and maybe Tuesdays), and a Sunday art market with some excellent local art.

This was our first stay in Paris - we researched a variety of hotels; we're glad we settled on the Hotel du Parc because of the overall value and convenience.

We booked our room relatively late, so I would advise you to book a room early and request a room overlooking the park. We stayed in a room that overlooked an interior courtyard, which was fine, since we only slept in the room. Also note that the hotel is not really a place for relaxation or hanging out since there are no common areas - it's just a place to crash after a long day of sightseeing.

Excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member EandANewcastle

The hotel, as stated in most reviews, is in an excellent location. The access to the metro, restaurants and shops was great. The hotel is a bit weary. Decor definitely needs updating and tidying, and our room smelt a bit musty. The bathroom was great, but maybe here should have been more room and less bathroom. No fridge facilities, but a safe was available. The rooms were cleaned very well and towels were fresh and plentiful. Did not have breakfast, as there were numerous cafes a few steps away with excellent breakfast, and a number of international restaurants, as well as a Monoprix shop (amazing cheeses!!!). The staff were very freidnly, and gave some suggestions about events to visit. They all spoke good English and were very welcoming, and there was someone available all the time. The hotel was good value for money, and as we only literally hit the pillows late at night, wa what we needed. Will not recommed for loved-up couples, but great for everyone else, especially those on a budget and those who just want a base to explore the amazing delights of Paris.

Would definately recommend this hotel to anyone

by TripAdvisor Member Misti27

We found this hotel over the internet while looking for reasonably priced accomodation in paris. Me and my boyfried would stay in paris for a week and needed something clean, near the tube and not expensive. We booked the hotel but at the same time I was a bit concerned.
The location of the hotel is very good, cantral and literally a linute away from a station. The minute I got there and saw the hotel and our room I knew I had made the right choise. The staff was very friendly, the room was very clean and the bathroom was immaculate. Granted the room was not very big but it was more than adequate for two people. I can not comment on the breakfast because we didnt have any.
All in all I have to say that if I go to Paris again I would definately stay there again. A real gem.

Friendly and well located

by TripAdvisor Member Tranquility_7

We were very happy with this Hotel, being on a quiet street, with a room which was roomier than expected for Paris. It was very clean, bathroom looked newly tiled, and had new airconditioning unit and TV. Staff were friendly, and the only criticism we feel was the 20 stairs up to the reception area, from where the lift was located. The breakfast was the usual in France, however the coffee was very good indeed.

Comments