Logis De France Saint Christophe

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• timecop's Profile Photo

Could have been better

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in June 2005, and I was disappointed. Very, very small room, but I guess that was to be expected. You open the door and you can touch the bed, but it was clean, as was the bathroom, with adequate closet space. The only electrical outlet was in the bathroom, and I did not like the fact that there was no peephole or a chain on the door. Tiny TV, no air, but a reasonable size fan and you could open the windows, which of course let in all the street noises. I guess because of the size of the room and the fact that my bags were kind of blocking the bed, it was not made up for 2 days. Once I squashed my bags on top of each other, the bed was made. The breakfast was sparse in choices, and after the first day we left it alone.

• CALSF's Profile Photo

A Latin Quarter Charmer

This is the second budget type of hotel I have researched. It's inexpensive, staff is helpful and friendly, and the location is superb. Last December I recommended the hotel to my VT friend UK Grant. He and his girlfriend reported that they liked the hotel very much. As with the Hotel Delambre, I intend to stay at the Saint Christophe someday.

The hotel is located in the Latin Quarter not too far from Place de la Contrescarpe and the rue Mouffetard. Therefore, one will find a great selection of not only affordable restaurants and cafes but also the nice rue Mouffetard street market. It's about a 20-30 minute walk down to the Seine and a 10 minute walk to the Luxembourg Gardens, closer than that to the Pantheon.

Unique Quality: The hotel boasts clean, modern facilities in their rooms. The rate is reasonable given the location and a double room costs 105 euro plus 8 euro for the breakfast. My friend, UKGrant, said that the staff printed a birthday card and signed it when he mentioned it was his girlfriend's birthday.

More about Logis De France Saint Christophe

Looking for a clean, comfortable hotel in great location?

My husband and I recently enjoyed four wonderful days in Paris. The Hotel Saint Christophe is situated in the vibrant Latin Quarter/Jardin de Plantes arrondissements. The hotel was everything I wished for my first trip to Paris. Very clean, comfortable rooms and friendly staff, not to mention the excellent location. The rooms are not large though we did not spend any time in the room, except to sleep. The bathroom was lovely and room 52 had two balconies that afforded two views up the street (would recommend this room). Restaurants, cafes, bars, boulangeries and supermarkets, were all in close proximity (within five minutes walk) to the hotel. The Place de la Contrascarpe (at the end of our street) was a delightful area to retreat to after a day's shopping and sight seeing. The Rue Mouffetard markets (next to Contrascarpe) were splendid. We did not feel like tourists at all. There was certainly a local village ambience to the area.

I do wish to recommend (on reading prior reviews on this site) that you prepare yourself with a little knowledge of the French language or in the very least a phrase book from which you can translate. The French are very proud of their language. It is quite a beautiful language and all part of a travellers experience in visiting Paris/France. We were always given a friendly smile (albiet a giggle) and helpful assistance when my husband (referencing his schoolboy French and me- my text book French) conversed with the locals. From my recollection, Singapore Airlines actually offers you a online language course during your flight, with a selection of about six or eight different languages including French. And most of the good guide books (Eyewitness guides are fabulous) have language glossaries attached.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and the district for anyone wishing to avoid the heavy tourist areas and who wish to experience a little of the French culture.

Au revoir
ps might I also suggest for summer visitors to Paris - the open top tour bus which stops at all the tops sights in Paris.

Quiet, affordable, great staff

by TripAdvisor Member Madtown79

We stayed here in early September, 2004, and found it perfect for our needs. The hotel is conveniently located and very close to two metro stops; the staff was friendly but unobtrusive; the bed was comfortable; the bathroom nice; and, best of all, the room was incredibly quiet! We never heard noise from other guests, nor street traffic at night.

The staff does lock the hotel at night, but there is always someone working at the desk - we returned late several evenings and it was no problem at all. They even stored our luggage for us when we arrived early, and loaned us an iron before a couple of nice dinners out. And they sent us a 'Happy New Year' e-mail!

I would definitely stay at the Saint Christophe again - it's a great find.

Maybe best kept a secret

Have recently returned from 7 nights at the Saint Christophe, which we found excellent value, comfortable (if a tad cozy), and wonderfully situated. This small hostelry is very well maintained and helpfully staffed. Our rooms, though small, were efficiently designed and lacked no desired amenity. (We had duly noted the advice of previous reviewers to bring our own wash cloths.) Thanks to well-insulated windows on the street side, and bathroom windows that opened on a quiet interior airspace, the only noise was the occasional muffled rumble of a subway train below ground. That subway, line 7, has a stop at Place Monge, just a block away from the hotel; and it provides a direct shot to the Louvre, no less!
Probably no street in central Paris is totally devoid of tourists, but the Saint Christophe is surely located in one of the less touristy neighborhoods - as attested by the splendidly native market held three days a week at Place Monge. Yet well-known destinations on the Left Bank are nearby. Stroll a couple hundred yards from the hotel in one direction and you're at the botanical gardens. Stroll a couple hundred yards in the other direction and you're at the Place de la Contrescarpe and the top end of the Rue Mouffetard. Proceed thence another 300 yards or so, and you're at the Pantheon and the collegial environs of the Sorbonne. For those with slightly greater ambulatory powers, Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle, and the charming Ile St. Louis are all within walking distance. And as for the rest of inexhaustible Paris, the metro or bus can get you there.

Lovely week in Paris

by TripAdvisor Member deb_christian_2004

We just returned from a wonderful 6 nights in Paris. The Saint Christophe is in a great location with wonderful little shops all around--a bakery and chocalate shop across the street and a wine bar almost right outside the door. The square around the corner had a market 3 days a week were we found marvelous cheeses and fruit which we stocked in our little frig in our room. Great little places to eat and shop were only minutes away.
The hotel itself was small and quiet. My husband is a big man, and they went out of their way to see we got a bed in which he was comfortable. The bathrooms are all new, if a little small. There was always plenty of hot water and as many towels as you ask for. We did bring face clothes with us, as it is our experience in traveling, that they are not readily available. We started our day with breakfast at the hotel. Off season and staying 6 nights, it was included in our room cost. I now very much miss the wonderful coffee and fresh baked goods! The staff at the hotel are wonderful and we can't thank Liz and Adelaide enough for making our stay so very pleasant. Try the hotel, you will not be sorry!!

same as usual!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member tjay2

Stayed here over the easter weekend is is actually right on the corner by the previous hotel i stayed in the timhotel latin quarter now named best western! So i knew the area well and i must say i believe this is the best area to stay in Paris you get a local market and plenty of local cafes, winebars etc which are very reasonable as many frequented by locals. In the latin quarter you really do get a true parisian experience i wouldnt stay anywhere else. As for the hotel in all honesty it is pretty standard as far as Paris hotels go, this hotel does win out against others though due to the fact you get a small fridge in your room and the service is absolutely impeccable!!!!
The timhotel on the corner does however have a slightly larger bedroom and definately a larger bathroom but how long do you stay in your room in Paris, I would definately return to this hotel it will probably be my first choice in paris now pushing the timhotel to 2nd choice. If your going to Paris for the 1st time you may think perhaps the rooms in this hotel are below standard but i can assure after being many times this is definately a good standard of the hotel and has an excellent breakfast included in its room price but even if you miss it theres plenty of stuff to get at the market in place monge which is right by the metro. your also in walking distance to the notre dame and the seine which has loads of bars restaurants etc on the left bank!! Go to this hotel enjoy the service and have a great time in the city of light!!

Great Quaint Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member coleman

Stayed at this hotel the first week of April. We really enjoyed the location(right by the metro) and as someone mentioned before had a great little market 3 days a week. The hotel breakfast was good to start you day off and was relaxing after a long day of sight seeing. The hotel staff was excellent and even had a plug adapter to borrow with a deposit. They were able to answer most questions. Also bring a wash cloth because they only have large towels and hand towels. The mini fridge came in quite handy with a neighborhood store right at the corner to buy waters and cokes. Overall we had a pleasant experience. Would highly recommend!

Did not meet expectations

by TripAdvisor Member Kaapeha

Stayed 4 nights in May 2005 based primarily on the gushing positive reviews posted but it led to expectations that were lacking. The rooms were very small. The lighting inadequate - women will find it difficult to apply makeup. The lift is tiny and can really accomodate only two adults or one person and a large suitcase. The hotel is not air conditioned (something I was not aware of) and is like a sauna on a moderately warm day (can't imagine what it would be like on a really hot day) even with the window open. The latter requirement, in turn, permits loud street noises to pervade the room which does not abate till the early morning, making sleep difficult. The breakfast is OK but spartan in choices and after the 2nd day, viewed simply as sustenance - nothing to look forward to. On a positive note, a two minute walk up a slight incline brings you to a large selection of moderately priced resturants of wide variety. The Metro is only a two minute walk away, Pantheon 10 minutes and Notre Dame about 20-30 minutes walk. Banks with ATM machines within the immediate area.

a curate's egg

by TripAdvisor Member DannyCunningham

I stayed for four nights in early June. It is a curate's egg in that the staff are great and the location is excellent, but it can be noisy at night and there is no air con. I was in Room 44 some way above street level but I was woken by noisy youths in the early hours on one night and the noise can be troubling. The bath was not huge and, as one reviewer noted, the breakfast was uninspiring. The good part of the curate's egg was that the staff were very helpful indeed, tolerated by hopeless French and were very happy to give me directions to wherever. For example, they found the lovely winestore, Lavinia, from Yellow Pages and located the Madeleine metro as the station nearest to it. Incidentally, try to fit in Lavinia. The staff are all trained sommeliers and the range of wines is over 6000. The location of the hotel is also a big plus. It is just round the corner from the Monge metro and in between there is this a splendid chocolate shop with a quite wonderful lady who will make up your little gifts of chocolate goodies. Just up the slight incline from the metro is the Rue Mouffetard that is heaving with excellent and good value restaurants. The one on the corner, in red, was top notch - proper French food at good prices, like £16 euro for a three course set meal and wine at fair prices. Round the other side of the hotel is the Jardin des Plantes where you can chill out among the botanical greenery. Notre Dame is also in easy walking distance and if you're reasonably fit you can get over to the Bastille on one side or the Luxembourg Gardens on the other. So take your pick - you may find it a bit noisy and a bit hot in steamy weather, but the location is very desirable and the staff are keen to help.

Comments