Picardy Hotel Paris

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 23% less but rated 47% lower than other 2 star hotels

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Another Often Slated Hotel

As cheap Paris (or any other major city) hotels go this one is as good as it gets in my opinion. My room was bijou (HA!) but had all the basics required including a work desk and ensuite facilities; all the light bulbs worked, as did the freebie WiFi. Reception (having booked through booking.com) was swift and friendly - simply a matter of paying in advance and receiving my key on check-in and handing the key back on check-out. The creaky old lift was characterful - as was the leggy brunette who I shared my first ascent with - “Quelle etage?” She asked as she went to press the button for her floor.

“Numero sept.”

“Moi aussi.” She commented almost invitingly (or maybe that was just my fertile imagination working overtime ;-)). Then, upon arrival at our (note it’s now OUR) floor she rewarded me with a stunning smile as I held the door open for her.

I was by now already predisposed to like this hotel.

And indeed I had no problems with this hotel at all. All my stay required was somewhere to drop my bag off after my Eurostar arrival before heading straight out and then a bed to return to in the early hours before my mid-morning return journey. The bed was perfectly comfortable, the shower and towels adequate and despite the central location immediately opposite the Gare de Nord (whose main entrance my room overlooked) my immaculately clean room was surprisingly quiet and peaceful.

This isn’t the sort of hotel to stay if planning a longer visit but for a transient overnighter it worked for me.

Unique Quality: Apart from the deliciously leggy brunette - the location is great with the Gare de Nord and the Metro within paces.

Directions: Quite literally opposite the main entrance/exit from the Gare du Nord.

• Dishonest? Dirty? Thieves?

Hotel Picardy is the worst hotel we have ever experienced!!!
    On first look over the internet this hotel has been presented to be a reasonably well off hotel in a great location for travellers-just a few yards away from the Gare Du Nord.
    On first look at the actual location, this hotel was an absolute disgrace!
    The sign for the hotel was burnt out, the lobby was a shambles with laundry lying everywhere and a rather unhelpful receptionist.

After initially paying for the rooms we had booked, our bags went up in a tiny lift whereas we had to walk up the stairs with barely any lighting and laundry lying on the stairs at every corner.

Once we entered the rooms the first thing that was VERY noticable was the mold up the sides of the walls and the sunken beds with grubby sheets. There was no towels in the dingy bathroom and the maid entering to bring in a pile of towels which i am sure were just as dirty.

Our overall experience of the Picardy Hotel was horrible, shocking and awful.
    We did not end up staying at the hotel as it was considerably below the standard of any average traveller with family.
    On return the next day, the staff made it very difficult for us to negotiate any return of money and after an agreement was made to pay for one nights accomodation and have the rest returned, the money was not paid back the next day as was promised.

On a third trip back to this disgraceful hotel, the manager had to be called back into the hotel to return the money that had been grossly over-charged and a forceful nature had to be taken to approaching the subject of getting the money returned.

We would most definately not recommend this hotel to ANY traveller as we experienced the most unpleasent dealings with these people.

Unique Quality: The only redeemable feature about this hotel is the location.
    The rest of the hotel was awful.

Directions: Gare Du Nord, turn left and cross the road. Down a few meters.

Comments