Port-Royal Hotel

8 Boulevard de Port-Royal, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75005, France

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Between Montparnasse & Mouffetard

It's extremely affordable, ultra-clean, a little grandma hotel as my friend calls it because of the old-fashioned décor. The hotel is really nice, ultra-clean, room was small but charming. Bed was fairly comfortable and very cozy and toasty, with lots of blankets to keep you warm in bed. I was very satisfied in that respect.

The hotel was great except that during the transit strike I had trouble getting reliable info on the strikes. The only exception was Simon, the night clerk, and he was the bomb. He helped me find someone to share a taxi with back to the airport Sunday morning (my share was 26€, not too bad, about $38). Also, I didn't get most of my messages. Mr. Connolly & my friend, Michael, the tour guide, said they called for me a BUNCH of times but always was told I was out. And maybe I was but I was never told upon return that I'd had phone calls (except for from Simon).

Other problems I experienced included being charged for an extra breakfast & for shower tokens! Tokens are 2€ or 2.50€ for 5 minutes' worth of showering. Of course, I'm a French hotelier's worst nightmare as I'd easily want at least 20 minutes' worth so that'd be an 10€ shower! I just showered at the in-room sink. In their defense, though, Mme Claudine deducted the charges (after speaking to 4 people about this before gaining satisfaction).

I think all in all, I'd stay here again but never again during a transit strike!

Port-Royal Hotel is ultra-budget (41 euros/night for a single). The most expensive room is 89 euros. Breakfast is 5.50 euros but I don't think it's worth the price as it only consists of tartine (sliced baguette), butter, jam, and coffee. Too many excellent bakeries in the vicinity to bother with breakfast here.

Unique Quality: They have A/C on the ground floor!!

Rue Mouffetard, one of the most famous and best of the street markets in Paris is just around the corner a few blocks. Walk north 2-3 blocks on avenue de Gobelins and you'll find yourself at the bottom of rue Mouffetard where Eglise St-Medard sits.

Man, there's EVERYTHING close by! If you wish to stay in a typical Parisian neighborhood with few tourists this would be the place!

It's in a great spot with:
    several bakeries
    grocery store across the street
    at least 4 movie theaters within 5 mins walk including Cinéma Escurial across the street
    several great little restaurants such as Le Languedoc & Au Petit Marguery
    cafés
    banks (ATMs) in the immediate vicinity
    dry cleaners and laundromat in the immediate area
    a McDonald's just across from the hotel if that's your thing.

The métro is across the street, several bus lines are across another street, the RER is a 10 minute walk west on bd Port-Royal and also a taxi stand nearby.

Sadaharu Aoki's patissierie is 3 blocks west at 56, bd Port-Royal (corner of rue Flatters). It's one of the newer pastry shops in Paris garnering a great deal of buzz over his green tea (macha) madeleines.

There's a nice little bakery across the street that has excellent almond croissants. I tried their sugar doughnuts but they were a bit dry.

There's a nice brasserie across the street, L'Interlude, where I dined on the most fabulous dinner of boeuf bourguignon, haricots vert and carafe of Beaujolais nouveau.

Directions: On the edge of the 5th arrondissement a few blocks south of rue Mouffetard.

• A good budget choice

Stayed at the Port Royal for one night last autumn. A good place to be based in Paris, within easy walking distance to Metro station, restaurants, the gardens of the Natural History Museum and other spots. Not too far from Gare Du Nord.

Clean room with a small but well equipped bathroom. Breakfast was good (additional cost) and staff helpful. Hotel has a small reception area with comfortable seating etc.

When we arrived we found a factsheet with things to do and places to eat etc. nearby which was very handy!

Unique Quality: Good location, friendly staff.

• Pappy17's Profile Photo

Good cheap sleep

Hotel Port Royal was a good, clean, inexpensive place to spend a week in Paris. Conveniently located near Rue Mouffetard, Metro stations, and the Latin Quarter, I would recommend this hotel to someone travelling to Paris on a budget.

Even though it has a one star rating, I felt like I was in a two star hotel.

Directions: Near the intersection of Port Royal and Gobelin.

Comments