RELAIS ST JACQUES

Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Quiet 4* in the Latin Quarter

I had my eye on this hotel for a few years now. I just didn't commit as I had no idea about it except for Tripadvisor.com reviews. Since I noticed that TA had recent favorable reviews I decided to take a chance and book a room for my summer visit. Luckily my visit coincided with a summer special the hotel runs yearly. I was lucky to get a room with a Pantheon view including full breakfast for 140 euro. Standard rates are between 160 to 200+ euro.

I knew that the hotel was not located next to the Seine, but it was a good choice nonetheless. It's a few blocks from the always busy Blvd. St. Michel and the Luxembourg Gardens. It takes about 15 minutes to walk down to the Seine.

Upon entering the hotel the reception desk is just that, a desk. To its right is the sitting room/bar where the decor is classical French. The breakfast room is down the hall and the elevator can hold four people easily so it's not coffin size as usual. When you enter your floor you will notice piped in music playing in the foyer.

Unique Quality: The Prestige rooms are wonderful. They are a bit larger than the standard rooms but are smaller than the suite. Ask for a room that has a Pantheon view. I got room #403 that had a nice view of the dome and of rue Gay Lussac.

Besides the view the rooms are decorated with nice antiques. It's simple and there is no toile involved thank God. If you like French classical style decor then you will appreciate the furnishings. Also the bathrooms are complete in rust colored marble countertops that are so spacious it's sinful. There are generous supplies of bath gel, shampoo, and the requisite shower caps, shoe shine sponge, sewing kit, Q-tips, and makeup remover pads.

BTW, the Relais Saint Jacques' bathrooms have 'real' hairdryers and not the 'vacuum cleaner' types which are nothing more than a hose that blows out hot air!

The breafast is not included unless you got a summer special like me. In that case you're entitled to either a complimentary American buffet breakfast or a continental breakfast in the room. It's a fair spread at the buffet: boiled eggs, cold cuts, cereals, fresh fruits, viennoiseries, baguettes, fried eggs, sausages, yogurt, orange juice, tea, and coffee or hot chocolate.

Also this is the only hotel that I've stayed in Paris that if you request it, you can check out at 1 p.m.

The staff is polite and approachable, not overly friendly except for Sayma who will chat with you about anything.

I received the hotel's excellent summer rate special as I visited Paris in July, one of the low season months. The Prestige room wtih Pantheon view was 140 euro including either American buffet or continental breakfast. Normal rates for this particular type of room is 235 euro with the breakfast charge being 17 euro!

Note: There is a well-regarded restaurant, Le Mauzac, located next door to the hotel. Also you can order room service from its menu.

More about RELAIS ST JACQUES

Paris New Years Eve

by Ian_Waldron

I am in Paris withmy partner on New Years Eve. Where is the best place to be on the 31st december. We dont mind crowds so the more the better. I want to expereience how Paris celebrates!!! Can you help please?? We are staying on the west bank in Montparnasse. by Jardin Atlantique.

by GUYON

At midnight go to the Champs Elysees all the parisians will be there.

Re: Re: Paris New Years Eve

by Hamster_Huey

Parisians tend to go to throw private parties to celebrate the new year, and don't go out that much.

However I agree with Guyon, the Champ Elysees are the place to be at midnight, with a bottle of champagne off course!! I personnaly have never done it, but so I heard...

People go out more in the street for Bastille day and 15th of August celebrations...

by miamiajp

Hello,
My name is Albert Jimper. I am from Miami. My partner and myself will be arriving in Paris from London on New Year's eve in the afternoon. Staying at the Relais St Jacques on the left bank. Since Parisians all stay at home maybe we should plan an American celebration and storm the Bastile... Email me if interested in getting together. miamiajp@aol.com

by Jenny9

I have found interesting information on Paris New Years Eve at www.parisbreak.co.uk. They have a whole page on the subject.

Comments