56 Rue Du Montparnasse, Paris, 75014, France

Le Petit MarcheLe Petit Marche

Hotel Cheyanne Street sceneHotel Cheyanne Street scene

Private Dining Room

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion - -

The week between Christmas and New Years I will be traveling to Paris with 25 graduate business students. Part of our Paris itinerary includes two mornings of lecture on the EU. Our hotel is charging an outrageous price for the meeting room. So, I'm checking to see if I can come up with a better option. My thought is that I might be able to find a small restaurant/cafe with a private dining room where we could hold the lectures in the morning. Rather than paying for a meeting room, perhaps the same fee could go towards a group meal and they would allow us to use the room for about three hours in the morning.

Does anyone know of a restaurant or cafe that might be set up with a separate dining room or one that is typically closed until lunch that might allow us to use the space for a lecture before lunch? It would be best to find one that is close to our hotel (near Eiffel Tower).

Any suggestions or resources would be appreciated!

by TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER

My recommendation would be to contact VT member Pedro Febles (Pedmar) at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/89526/. He is a food and wine critic in Paris and is most helpful with area recommendations of this sort.

One unique idea, a little outside the box, may be to have an event catered at a art gallery. Maybe contact a local culinary school and see if some students want to do a top chef competition for your guests. I recommended this to a friend of mine in the States last year. They did not do it at a gallery, but the students did it for free, he just had to pay for the food. It was a great success.

I have no idea what kind of budget it would take but maybe worth looking into.

Cheers!

by leanneedwards

Pedro I always wonder what we would do without you!!!

Pedro my friend
I had little doubt we were leaving this in good hands.

Cheers!

by fwfrog

So sorry to reply so late. I had to turn my attention elsewhere for a while. I will definitely check out these suggestions. We also need a restaurant that will do a large group dinner but it doesn't have to be private. Like to stay between 30E and 75E (less is always better) I'd love for it to be near the Eiffel Tower since we are staying there or near Place Vendôme since we will just be finishing a tour at that location. Not too formal since the group will be tired. However, we'd definitely be willing to travel around a bit for something unusual or fun!

Any suggestions.

Topshelf,

I love your suggestion re: the Culinary School! Do you know which one your friend contacted???

Sandy

Hi Sandy
As I stated earlier, it was not in Paris, it was in the States.
I believe he contacted Pittsburgh Culinary Institute, but I could not say for certain.

Travel Tips for Paris

Museum Insider Tip

by kls67

You need to order this and have it sent to you in the States - I opted for them to deliver to my hotel in Paris and it was lost - either by the delivery person or by the front desk person - nobody would admit to anything......but regardless - it is the best investment that we made...
It allows you to jump in and out of museums all over Paris without waiting in lines and the value is extraordinary - we figured we saved about $65 for the 3 day pass - P.S. I was advised not to go with the transport option since you can get anywhere in Paris on the Metro

People Watching is the Ultimate Paris Pastime

by davequ

People watching at a cafe.

I like to find a good location somewhere in the city:

(Opera, Montparnasse, Latin Quarter or the Champs Ellysees but almost any cafe in Paris will do);

order my favorite beverage
(carafe vin de la maison rouge, juice, an espresso, whatever);

light up, ... and just sit there & watch Paris go by.

What else is Paris for?

"Happiness is the best facelift...." Joni Mitchell Copyright Joni Mitchell
I tried my best to learn enough polite French to avoid as much as possible being perceived as "le touriste americain laid grossier."

Conversational French ( especially hearing & understanding it at normal speed ) was and is still difficult for me but I worked at it for weeks before I flew to Paris for the first time.

One day I needed to use a telecarte phone card I had purchased at a tabac, but could not get it to work. The call was important and I was very tired and frustrated.

I stopped a typically fashionable and lovely Parisian woman on the street and struggled in my primitive French to apologize and explain my small problem.

She immediately took me by the hand into a phone booth, got my card to work, and made the call for me.

When I thanked her simply in French ("Merci beaucoup, Madame") she smiled, hugged me, and in perfect English (she spoke it all along...) said "and thank you sir for the 'Merci Beaucoup!' You are very polite and it was my pleasure."

I will never forget her or her wonderful example of "parisian gentilles."
Madame, wherever you are, Merci... Vous etes tres gentile, et tres aimable. x

At upper-left is my homage to a classic cafe shot from Anthonys "Street Scenes" collection you can find here:
An Anthony Atkielski Facelift

Thank you Anthony.

see The Arc De Triomphe,...

by steventilly

see The Arc De Triomphe, another of Paris' most famous landmarks and one of the worlds busiest traffic islands!
It's great fun to go stand in the middle of the Arc De Triomphe and just watch the traffic. It's unbeliveable how they don't crash into each other, but somehow they don't!

Bonjour

by amazingclick

Everyone starts with "Bonjour'no Mossieur" and means "Hello Mister". So start with that while talking with anyone. I used to first ask "Parle vous Anglais" means "Do you know English". Most don't so, they wont be able to understand what you are trying to say and no communication will happen. Try and ignore people who are rude to you when they know you donot know french. Thats a part and parcel of the country I guess.

Hey, shoes! You better not suck!

by Bela_LUng

If you plan on walking around Paris like most tourist do, then go and find the worlds most comfortable shoes, buy them, and then wear them while walking around Paris. A fellow VT user rex Vaughn commented on how I seemed to be resting all over the place and sure enough, half the reason for my many rests was because my feet were soooo sore. My entire small toe on each foot was blistered and painful due to my stupid shoes I was wearing.

As soon as I got home I went and bought myself a kick pair of walking shoes. Now every time I wear them I think of Paris! hehe. Bring a giant laser!

Comments