Saint Louis 4eme

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Paris

skating tour of Paris for beginnersskating tour of Paris for beginners

Hôtel des InvalidesHôtel des Invalides

Sacre CoeurSacre Coeur

The beautiful Pantheon....The beautiful Pantheon....

Restaurant with Eiffel tower views

by johnfromoz

Will be in Paris in June & wish to take my wife to a authentic french cuisine restaurant with views of the tower.Hopefully one that is not to touristy & good food, would prefer excellent food & OK view to other way around.
Also are the restaurants in the tower any good food wise? as would like the idea of eating there one night or for lunch.

by wise23girl

We had an evening dinner in Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower a few months ago. Yes the food was superb also very pricy.
There is a special lift..you do not have to join the big queue.
Book ahead like 3 months...ask for one of the tables with a view..outer table.

by christine.j

We had the best view of the Eiffel Tower from the Trocadero area. There are several restaurants, but I'm sorry I don't remember their names. I found this link
which names some restaurants, but not personal recommendation.

The restaurant I liked best was the Brasserie Victor Hugo, at the place Victor Hugo. No view of the tower, but excellent food. It's not a tourist restaurant,and doesn't seem to have a website. I have the details on my Paris page.

by TheLongTone

There was some Frech wit who recommended eating in the Eiffel Tower restaurants (despite the food being abominable) because it was the only place you could dine without being able to see the tower.....but that was a hundred or so years ago.

by venoquine

Hi,
try LE CIEL DE PARIS, at the 56th floor of the montparnasse tower, view of all the town.

by von.otter

Le Jules Verne Restaurant on the Tower’s mid-level is wonderful. You can read my review and see photos at my VirtualTourist Paris pages. The food was delicious; the service was top draw; the view, it was Paris! All these pluses come at a cost that is well worth it for a special occasion you will remember for many years. Ask your hotel to make the reservations, which must be made three months in advance; that is the approach I took and all went smoothly. If the view during our meal does not have to be of the Eiffel Tower, try la Tour L’Argent, with a view of la cathédral de Notre-Dame et Isle de la Cité. Quite the sight, and again quite the price but worth it for a special occasion.

Travel Tips for Paris

Stroll around Paris whistling...

by btex

Stroll around Paris whistling La Marseillaise. I could go to Paris without wanting to enter a building. Tree-lined streets, great architecture, outdoor markets and vendors, parks, and crowded cafes make Paris a great place to walk and see the sights. So put on your walkin' shoes...

Huge supermarkets, big fruits, onions, fat chicken

by Norali

Oooh! I could never imagine that supermarkets could be that big. I think we went to Carrefour supermarkets. Bought stuffs.

Many stuffs I was not used to: milk powder (used to drink fresh milk), big onions, big fruits, big vegetables, big and fat chicken. Yes, those, at least, were the biggest onions I've ever seen in my life thus far...

Also, I was impressed by the wide range of items cc stationery. I was a schoolkid. I wanted the perfect paper to write on.. les cahiers (notebooks), apple-fragrant Papermate pens. I knew from TV commercials that I'd better buy Clairefontaine (haha.. who wouldn't have wanted to buy it?). My Mum stood firm.. no stationery bought... Indeed, what would be the benefit of buying a cahier "from Paris" if you are going to use a dozen during the school year... Better use the local production for everything (bad quality paper). So went money to something else: visits of Chartres, Versailles and some of the monuments & museums of Paris. That was the first time I saw people reading magazines, comic strips in the shops... Not necessarily Carrefour but also in FNAC...

Yes, just pick what you want to read and you may sit in FNAC shelvings reading it without being warned... Still did that sometimes, in Brussels' GB-Carrefour and Brussels FNAC. That was compared to our supermarkets in Tana where we had employees all over the shops... looking at what you do, preventing you from reading your favourite magazine... And yes, FNAC impressed me for many reasons. It's still one of my fave amongst the many department stores... always things to discover there...

Also, a supermarket I really liked to go to: Monoprix.. I don't know why... maybe because it was smaller? The one I was used to is still on Rue Alésia (14ème).

Cycling at night

by Nemorino

One of the things I really love is cycling home at night after the opera.

This is even more magical in Paris because you not only have the opera going through your head, you also have, well, Paris all around you.

You do have to look out for the taxis, though, because they come out at night like moths. And they are allowed to use the bus lanes just as we are.

Second and third photos: More people cycling at night on Boulevard Sebastopol.

Fourth photo: You have to have front and rear lights on your bike, that's important. By the way, the lights they provided at the rental place are battery operated, which would be illegal in Germany (they insist on a dynamo) but seems to be acceptable in France.

The sights, the sounds…

by tiabunna

Although the museums are much of the attraction for tourists, Paris itself is no museum. It’s essential to remember that Paris is very much a living breathing and working city, with over 2 million in the central city and an estimated 10 million in the urban area: more if you count the surrounding districts. It is a tremendously cosmopolitan mix of different ethnic groups, religions, and social categories, all constantly interacting. With all those people and activity, sometimes Paris is untidy, sometimes it is grubby: as a visitor, just accept that’s how it is.

Not surprisingly in the current world, there is a substantial security presence - and I'd have to say that it was generally reassuring rather than intimidating. Near the Louvre and Tuileries Gardens, I saw police on horses and even on rollerskates (photos 1 and 2). Occasionally I saw convoys of police vehicles (photo 3) bound on missions unknown. Nearly always the sirens for police, ambulance or other emergency service vehicles echoed through the streets.

Musée des Automates

by christine.j

I had read a very short reference to the Musée de la Magie and decided to go there.When I was walking down the street I almost missed the entrance, as there are no big signs pointing to it. The door was open and a very steep staircase led down. Even though I was there only a few minutes after opening time, quite a few people were waiting already, mostly children.

The ticket was 9 Euro, but for 3 Euro more you could get a combi tickt, for the Musée des Automates as well. I chose the combi ticket and wanted to go right into the Museum of Magic.
But I was stopped and told it wasn't open yet. By this time the small entrance hall was getting more and more crowded by waiting children. I was surprised why they couldn't go to the Museum of Magic, but - like the good tourist that I am - turned left into the Musée of Automates.

This museum consists of three narrow rooms, full of glass cases with automatic toys, from tiny to really large. For each toy there is a button which you can press to get the toy moving.Again, the rooms were getting very crowded, everybody was pushing buttons and having fun.
There was a big wooden chest, containing the head of a chimpanzee.When pressing the button, he would look out of his chest ,uttering a chimpanzee's cries. Guess what? With all the children in the museum the poor chimp was crying all the time and the museum sonded like a jungle.

Even though it was very crowded, this museum is fun and in mind absolutely worth the three Euro entrance fee for a combi ticket. If you just want to go there, entrance would be six Euro.

The address is rue St Paul, 11.

Comments