Sophie Germain Hotel

More about Paris

Musee de L'OrangerieMusee de L'Orangerie

Façade of Saint-Merri - Nov 2010Façade of Saint-Merri - Nov 2010

Île de la Cité from Quai Saint MichelÎle de la Cité from Quai Saint Michel

Bistrot "Les Enfants Rouges".Bistrot "Les Enfants Rouges".

Cost of RER from center Paris to Versailles?

by michelledriscoll

I have been all over the RATP website and still cannot figure out how much it would cost to travel from zone 2 to zone 4 (Jardin des Plantes to Versailles Rive Gauche). I know how to do it, just not the cost! I am trying to calculate the best price for transportation for 2 days in Paris, leaving from the airport (CDG), traveling around Paris, and going to and from Versailles. I know the Paris Visite pass prices (sounds convenient too), but I am pinching pennies! Thanks to all!

by Beausoleil

The Jardin des Plantes is in zone 1 and your nearest RER station would be Gare Austerlitz. Therefore, you would be going from zone 1 to zone 4 (Versailles Rive Gauche station). You will be on RER C and you need to be sure you take C5 to Versailles Rive Gauche station and line C has several branches. If in doubt, ask someone at the station and they will guide you.

Finding fares on the Metro-RER web site is not fun. The fares just went up July 1 and I think (think, not know) your new fare would be 10.15 euros from zone 1 to zone 4.

We nearly always purchase a carnet of 10 Metro tickets while in Paris and then buy point-to-point tickets to Versailles or the airports as needed. The Paris Viste Pass must be used on consecutive days and the pass that allows travel to the outer zones is very expensive and everyone in your party must have their own pass. The carnet can be shared amongst everyone although you do have to pay for point-to-point tickets for everyone too. Unless you are traveling to the outer zones a lot, the Paris Viste Pass will not pay for itself.

With luck pedmar will answer this later and give you a definite price for your zone 1 to zone 4 trip. He lives in Versailles so can be more definite than I.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

by Beausoleil

Pedro, I know you would have the answer. Where do you find the fares? I could only find fares for passes as a PDF file. Nowhere could I find single-ticket fares for zones 1 to 4. HELP.

. . . and thank you very much. 8^)

by Beausoleil

Pedro, You're wonderful. I got as far as "Saisissez votre gare de banlieue" and my French failed me . . . or my imagination.

Thanks, this is a big help.

by michelledriscoll

Merci beaucoup messieurs! Your replies were enormously helpful. I have added it all up and found that the Paris Visite pass is indeed more expensive than the Roissybus and carnets of t+ tickets we will need. The missing piece of the puzzle was the cost of the RER to Versailles. Thank you!

Travel Tips for Paris

Merci et a bientot

by jelw

The french can be very friendly and helpful. You as a visitor in France need to make an attempt to speak their language.
They respond so nicely even if your french is dreadful.
However if you make no effort and insisit on only speaking english or your native tongue they seem to feel no need to make any effort either. Can you really blame them?

Le Sacré Coeur is one of the...

by exotique18

Le Sacré Coeur is one of the best church in Paris.It is located on 35,rue de Chevalier,75018 in Montmartre.
By the way,you must go to Montmartre where there are many artists. Montmartre has a very romantic atmosphere where is located on a high hill.
If you want to see breathtaking views of all Paris and to have an opportunity to take some pictures, i recommend on climbing up to dome of Sacré Coeur, well if you are willing to climb up more than 100 narrow steps!! No elevator by the way !Bon courage!! ;-) in addition:In addition the dome of Sacre Coeur is the second highest summit aftre La tour Eiffel in Paris!!!

Stop at the Grand arche and...

by nodbek

Stop at the Grand arche and walk down champs elysee-the most famous avenue
Arc de Triomphe
Place Charles de Gaulle, 75008 Paris
MCharles de Gaulle-Etoile
Charles de Gaulle-Etoile
The Arch is most easily (and safely) reached by tunnel from the north side of the Champs Elysées.

Horsemeat Anyone?

by hquittner

In going through our family travel pictures, I came upon a kodachrome that my father took 45 years ago. (I hope the copy is OK). He did not give the address or the Arrondissement but I think it was on the Right Bank. Neither he nor I (adventurous eaters both) have ever eaten horsemeat, but my now deceased Irish Setter to whom I fed it regularly, told me it was better than beef. I have never encountered it on a Parisian menu but my Larousse Gastronomique gives details for a roast rump steak and a roast with cinnamon. It also states that it is the best steak tartare (after all it is the meat richest in glycogen). It was only declared legal to butcher it in France in 1811 (after Napoleon's Russian defeat it saved numerous lives). Today special horses are bred for slaughter, but I do not think it is sold in ordinary butcher shops. Does anyone know more to add to this Tip?

Chic, you say?

by kikita

I traveled light...black and tan were my major colors, choosing slacks and tops that I could team up for different outfits. I also took one dress for dinners out, a leather jacket, 2 scarfs, pajamas, a pair of black heels, black loafers, and toiletries. It all fit in a nice carry-on, and I wasn't weighed down by tons of luggage (something I despise!) I visited Paris in July and I am SO glad that I took my leather jacket! It was quite chilly that month in 2000, especially for a Florida gal like me! I'm also happy that I by-passed my usual summer colors and stuck with black as my primary color scheme...as it turns out, I blended in just fine with the natives and didn't stick out like a sore thumb!

Comments