Gasthof Anker

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Miltenberg

am Limesweg entlangam Limesweg entlang

Travel Tips for Miltenberg

Sandstone is the prominent building material

by Trekki

If you have read my to-do tips you already read me mentioning sandstone quite often. This was the most prominent building material in Miltenberg’s early days, because the pink sandstone quarries are just outside of town. The masters did some excellent work, not only for the houses but for the carvings at the facades and especially the little details, such as the Münzmännlein (the little mint man, I still laugh about the word) and the fountain at the market place. On the houses, especially when they are painted white, the pink colour gives a nice and atmospheric impression.

© Ingrid D., March 2010

Madonna statues everywhere on houses

by Trekki

Miltenberg was property of Mainz‘ bishopric since ages, so it is most natural that it is perceived as “catholic”. I found it quite interesting how many madonnas and religious statues can still be found at old houses and along the streets. Statue “hunting”, that’s a really nice thing to do in Miltenberg. So look up.

© Ingrid D., March 2010

Dreamy gardens and house entrances

by Trekki

The thing which fascinated me maybe more than the half timbered house galore when I strolled through Miltenberg were the charming and dreamy little gardens. This is especially atmospheric since many of these are contored and bent, just like the back streets of the town. Just like out of a fairy tale book :-) It also somehow reflects the characters of Miltenberg’s inhabitants – open and friendly and welcoming.

Miltenberg - charming town at Main river

by Trekki

Miltenberg is one of these cute German villages which can easily compete with oh-so-famous Rothenburg ob der Tauber but are often even not known by many of the Germans. I would definitely never heard of it would it not be situated at the eastern foothills of Odenwald (famous forest in the southern parts of Hessen and northern parts of Baden-Württemberg). And in summer, right after my holiday in Sweden, I decided that it is time to do that short drive and go and visit Miltenberg. I was amazed and ashamed; amazed because it is so beautiful and ashamed because I did not come here earlier.

My Miltenberg description is rather “short”, I tried to avoid long tip this time but I think I can bring across the charm the city unfolded during this beautiful day in August 2009.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.