Minotel Jagdhotel Rose

Expedia.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

Travel Tips for Miltenberg

Miltenberg, part of Camino de Santiago

by Trekki

Since this boom or almost hype to walk Camino Santiago (or Way of St. James) has hit the world it seems that every town and village of middle and southern Europe digs out their shares of Camino Santiago. Sorry if I sound a bit cynical but since there are other interesting pilgrimage paths such as the Path of San Francesco (St. Francis), I am asking myself who is behind the marketing of Camino Santiago. Well, Miltenberg is also part of the German routes of Camino Santiago, that is what I realised when I saw the signs at St. Jakobus church. Here are the stages of Camino Santiago involving Miltenberg, although it seems to be a local one. Nevertheless it guides through very lovely villages at the Franconian/Bavarian and Hessen border.

© Ingrid D., March 2010, updated April 11 - thanks dear JL for pointing out my translation mistake :-)

Beer, beer - oh, did I mention beer?

by Trekki

Beer, yes, Miltenberg is famous for that. Up to now, they have two breweries in town, Faust and Kalt-Loch. Faust means fist and I found their brewery sign especially funny (main photo).

There is another brewery up on the hills on the other side of the river. I only saw it from the distance but since I was in Miltenberg by car, I didn’t want to drink beer. This is even a monastery and they also sell this beer in their shop:
Engelberg, Franziskaner Kloster
They also make liquor and serve snacks. From their website I got that the view must be spectacular. A good reason to go up next time and make sure that I have a bed and don’t need to drive.

© Ingrid D., March 2010

Defending faces and knights :-)

by Trekki

Like the madonna statues were meant to defend houses, also carved faces are quite prominent at many old houses in Miltenberg. These also have the purpose to defend the houses from evil. I especially liked the one in my main photo (it is of a house opposite of this little park with the statue of the Swedish Music Academy director. Most probably a shop again, when I was there, a tourist goods shop had sale because of cessation of business). The letters GTK seem to refer to either the owners or builder and I love that heart with the flowers. The knight in the last photo is most probably a giant, because he sits at the top of Gasthaus Riesen.

© Ingrid D., March 2010

Half-timbered details and strange beam

by Trekki

Many of the half-timbered houses have exceptionally beautiful carved and often coloured corner beams, like the ones in my photo (close to Riesen Gasthaus). One detail I would have missed if our guide wouldn’t have pointed it out to us: one of the window beams has an inscription, but it is upside down (photo 2 and 5). Maybe the carpenter was drunk? Haha.

Miltenberg- Osterburken 3.Teil

by Tilmansmom

"Auf dem Limespfad"

"Ankunft in Walldürn"

Unser 1.Ziel war erreicht. Wir haben hier übernachtet.
Die Strecke war nicht zu lange- etwa 25 km.

"Walldürn nach Rinschheim"

Am nächsten Tag ging es weiter - die nächsten 25 km bis Osterburken

"wieder schön durch den Wald"

"bei Hettingen"

"auf unserem Weg"

"von Bofsheim nach Osterburken"

"zu Hause im Osterburkenener Wald"

Osterburken ist eine wichtige Station an der Limesstraße.
Ein Museum und ein Kastell laden zu einem interessanten Besuch ein.
Neuerdings gibt es auch noch ein Cafe im Museum, das zum Verweilen einlädt.

Comments