Locarno Hotels

Our Members Say

• iammon profile photo iammon
  • Reviews: 345

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ristorante del Ponte: Cheap Place

More a Restaurant than a Hotel. But has some clean rooms with shared bathrooms.
However is on the main road into Locarno and it was very noisy and hot (no aircon).
We paid 118.- for a double room during the Moon and Stars.

Nothing special at all. But if the town fills up for the Moon and Stars or film festival. It is an option with free rooms.

• Written July 16, 2013

• daffern profile photo daffern
  • Reviews: 4

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel: Great facilities, food, rooms and staff

We enjoyed our stay here from the rooms, the food and the great little outdoor pool which although was a little cold, compared to the great climate, we could not wait to jump in.
The staff were very friendly throughout our stay.
Our favourite hotel in this area.
We look forward to returning

little mountain train which takes you on a short ride to the hotel from Locarno

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Hiking and Walking
  • Written April 5, 2012

• zwieciu profile photo zwieciu
  • Reviews: 4

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Verzasca - Rustici: Stay in traditional stone houses (rustici)

If you want to stay in the Locarno area for more than a few days, especially with a family or friends, consider renting a traditional stone house - rustico - in the Verzasca valley. The prices are between CHF 70 and 140 per night for the whole house. The owners are usually very nice. You'll always find a kitchen/TV etc. but no breakfast will be included. Check http://www.verzasca.net/accommodation.php for availability.

You'll be able to experience living in simple but beautiful traditional stone huts, some even 500 years old. The rustici are scattered amongst the valley's medieval villages and you'll be surrounded by wild nature and mountains all around you. If coming with kids, they will surely enjoy the river Verzasca with some spots great for swimming.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written February 9, 2010
Tip Photo

• swissrain profile photo swissrain
  • Reviews: 12

Albergo Alpina: Simplicity in a quite village

The simple, yet comfortable hotel "Alpina" allows me to stay here. The lady who owns it is cheerfuland charming, and the rooms are affordable, at approx. 100 Francs. If you are lucky and a warm sun wakes you up in the morning, you will have an unforgettable breakfast outside, at one of the huge granite tables, and be in admiration of the still mountains guarding the village.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking
  • Written September 14, 2006

Sonogno-the village

• evancheong profile photo evancheong
  • Reviews: 77

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Al Lago: Awesome view

I picked this hotel because it offered the cheapest rate of CH180 a night for a double room with breakfast. It even has a swimming pool. I was hoping to find something cheaper around this area but the rest of the hotels are above CH200. Parking was fairly convenient. We just park along the road outside the hotel.

It has an awesome view, facing the lake and overlooking the mountains. Swimming pool was quite big and the breakfast was adequate.
Because I went visited the town during Summer, I was surprised to find the room hotter than the air outside. It beats me too.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written January 2, 2006
Tip Photo

• sinoda profile photo sinoda
  • Reviews: 290

Pension Cittá Vecchia: affordable b&b

Nice and clean accomodation with shower/wc on the floor and an own balcony.

It was one of the most expensive stay-ins on our Switzerland round trip, but you have to consider the location: Locarno is expensive in every way! So we cut us a nice deal.

The owner was just wonderful. Don't remeber his name neither, damn (he's from Winterthur, say from me, if you get the chance to meet him). I seem to have a problem with remembering people's names... sorry.

but any way, he was just so nice to us. In the evening we sat chatting on the bench just right on the street.

That's the best, having a local (although he wasn't a genuine local) explaining you stuff about the place.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written May 14, 2003

Pension Citt�� Vecchia, Locarno

• Callavetta profile photo Callavetta
  • Reviews: 625

A Beautiful Hotel on the Lake: Albergo Navegna du Lac

Albergo Navegna was one of those places that was just a delight to arrive at. Situated pleasantly on the shores of Lago Maggiore, a promenade connects it to Locarno, about one kilometer south.

The hotel is warmly and efficiently run by the Familia Ravelli. Senore Ravelli personally welcomes all of his guests at dinner each night. My single room was really a double for single occupancy and the windows opened up to the garden with a view of the lake beyond. The room was small but very comfortable and the bathroom was perfect with a very nice shower.

Breakfast is included daily and for 24CHF you can opt for "half board".

My normal rule of thumb is never to eat at the hotel restaurant but I had read great things about the Navegna's restaurant and couldn't tear myself away any of the four nights I was there. I didn't select the half-board option and the regular menu was rather pricey (averaging 70CHF per night) but the meals were all well worth it. The carpaccio verdure was excellent, and while I managed to actually try the prawn salad one night in it's place (also very good), I had the former 3 times! The pasta is hand made at the hotel and melted in your mouth. The Montepulicano Abruzzo, by the glass was a bargain at roughly $2.00 per glass and kept me well above my daily Weight Watcher points!

All but one very cool night, I ate on the terrace overlooking the lake. There's an outdoor woodsmoke grill where the chef prepares the meat dishes and it smells heavenly. Service was excellent and by the end of the stay I felt like the staff were my friends.

The hotel also has bikes available for rent and there are miles and miles of bike paths along the lake and in the vicinity.

Only one small negative. About 3 times an hour, beginning about 6:30 am and continuing until 1:30 in the morning, trains rush by and make a horrendous noise. At first I thought it was awful but I guess I got used to it. Besides, if all those fabulous villas could deal with it, certainly I could!

• Written April 12, 2003