1 Rideau Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 8S7, Canada

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Laptop stolen from room

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights; it is rather luxurious, but my stay was spoiled on the first evening by the theft of a laptop from my locked room. The hotel apparently made its own investigations, but did not share with me what they knew about who else had accessed my room (according to the electronic key card system) or indeed anything else until a week later. Although the hotel's security team seems to do what they can to help me to get my laptop back, the hotel management did not apologise and offered me no compensation, such as a discount on my (rather expensive but insecure) room. All I got was a Police Report. There rarely seemed to be a Manager on duty to discuss my case, and honestly, the appearance was that they did not care much– either about the breach of security, or my wellbeing. Not what I expected from an otherwise top-class hotel.

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Luxury hotel in Ottawa

Fairmont Chateau Laurier located between Parliament Hill, the Ottawa River, The Congress Centre and the open-air Byward Market.

A historical monument in itself, the luxury Ottawa hotel enchants guests with its charm and stateliness.

Unique Quality: Fairmont Château Laurier was opened on June 12, 1912.

'The star-studded guestlist at Fairmont Château Laurier includes Shirley Temple, Nelson Eddy, Greer Garson, Harry Belafonte, Marlene Deitrich, Rich Little, Billy Bishop, Karen Kain, Roger Moore, Bryan Adams, Nelson Mandela, Carrie Fisher and almost every star of stage, screen or music that has performed in Ottawa.'

• Not Impressed

Stayed at this hotel as part of our anniversary getaway. It was supposed to be the highlight of our week. But NOT impressed at all and feel badly that we wasted that much money staying there. I will say that the bed is comfortable. Other than that, the walls are so thin that the constant flushing of toilets from other rooms are loud enough to wake u up at night. Showers can be heard as well. leaving you to be unrested.

The hotel is grand but they have all the ballroom doors closed so you can't take in the grandeur of the hotel. Everything has a surcharge, which I find unreasonable for the price that you pay per room. The little restaurant that the have has Lovely service and good food.

I wouldn't even consider stay there again. It wasn't worth the money at all.

• Once Canada's best, now a guest hell!

Once the leader in how to do it right and make every guest special the Chateau Laurier of Quebec City has come down to a 2 star bed and rack to say the least. With a rich history and tradition of leading the market with exceptional care and comfort of its guests the Laurier staff have become corporate clones with no concept of traveler well being. For many year I have made it policy at my company to allow my team the privlidge of such an exceptional experiance the Laurier used to offer. Today, after a leave of some time, I return to face a hotel that has its back broken and lost its way in knowing who the customer is and why it is important to make that guest feel as special as can be. Today policy replaces manager descretion, a non chalant attitude of guest care replaces a deep committment to excellence and the hotel has become a sad case in business hostory that will die, but just doesn't know it yet.
    TRavelers beware, if you have no requests, no special needs and you are no bother then maybe this is the place for youas it does still have its charm and luster, for now, but dare you ask for some consideration that might require a little extra effort prepare for disappointment and apathey.

Unique Quality: Great charm, nicely appointed rooms

Directions: I would advise you to look for better accomodation in the city, there are many others.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

One Of The Old Classic Railway Hotels

This hotel is in a prime position next to the Rideau Canal and looks fantastic from across the river or roadway.

We did not stay here but had a quick look inside like we did with the Fairmont hotels in Quebec, Banff , Lake Louise, Vancouver. We prefer the more modern hotels but these classic hotels do have a place in the modern world. Most have extremely nice foyers and lounge areas which are open to the public

• Best of Ottawa

This hotel is AWESOME! I just got back today (7/4/07) from my trip. This hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed at and I consider myself fortunate enough to have stayed at several good ones. We were there over Canada Day. There is no better location for Canada Day or any other day. Every time we would cross from Byward Market over to Parliament area or from Rideau Center Mall or War Memorial Plaza to Major Hill Park, we would pass the hotel. As such, we had the opportunity to go up and free our hands, get a drink, use the bathroom, just rest, grab something we forgot, etc. It was great. This is one of the best locations of any hotel anywhere. Every staff member we encountered treated us like we personally had the power to fire them if they didn't pamper us. The room was spacious and gorgeous. Our view was the Byward Market. The shower was spacious, had a strong flow, and never ran out of hot water even though there were 3 females with me. As President's Club members (which is free to join) we got free local calls and in-room internet usage. The beds were plenty comfy and, because the rooms are so big, we added a complimentary roll-away bed for further sleeping room. The hotel is beautifully appointed and wonderfully designed and built. We got a good deal but would have paid more and that is more true now after having stayed there. Sorry I can't shed any light on the restaurants as we ate around town and not in-house but I can only assume that what others have said regarding how good they are is true. They certainly looked nice but they also looked like you would need to be prepared to drop quite a bit of money to eat there. Two cabs hang out just outside the front doors at all times and it was within an easy walk (through the Rideau Center Mall across the street) to the OCTranspo bus stop which I did take once and it was a breeze. The whole thing was a wonderful experience.

Unique Quality: Location, castle-like design

Directions: Downtown near everything

• bicycle_girl's Profile Photo

If you got money...

Uhhhh I didn't stay here... I just checked out the outside, and the inside, and would love to be sharing the experience with a significant other!!!

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

The Grand Old Hotel

Its been a while since I stayed there. Or eaten in any of the restaurants, or even been in the lobby. Stayed there once with my husband, and that was no thrill - he was as sick as a dog the whole time. Just remember that the room was big, and old, and things seemed to be rather standard for a hotel. We had got a discounted rate because of a coupon, so that made it more reasonable for us.

Unique Quality: The looks of the hotel - classic old railway owned hotels., now owned by the Fairmont Hotel Chain. Built about the early 1900s. Now has a gallery of Yousef Karsh's photographs, as this was where Karsh had his studio for many years, until his death.

Directions: to the east of the Parliament Buildings.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Famous and luxury hotel in Ottawa

I did not stay at this famous hotel but would recommend if you want to stay in a famous and luxury hotel, then this is the place for you. The architecture is very impressive, the location is very good (major attractions are all nearby) and of course the service and rooms are reputed to be very good as well. Many famous people and heads of countries have stayed here when they visited Ottawa, so this hotel is the choice if you have money to spare.

• miketrudeau's Profile Photo

You have to try this once...

Ciara and I stayed in one of their suites on the 'Gold Level' on our wedding night. Our 'room' was bigger than our apartment. Nice bathroom, big living room/guest room, and the bedroom. The BED was possibly the most comfortable place I've ever slept.
    We were treated to a terrific continental breakfast buffet. I don't mean one of those single-stale-breakfast type meals either. I'm talking smoked salmon, fresh fruit and yogurt, bagels, coffee, tea, cereal, cottage and cream cheeses, you name it...
    The staff there are very good at courteously making you feel important.

Unique Quality: Easily, without question the nicest hotel in the city. A beautiful place. To stay there is to feel like you are partaking of a Canadian institution. I would say your feeling is correct. The building is the most remarkable edifice downtown save Parliament itself. This place is OLD.
    I have to say, you do pay for all this glory. It's very expensive. Friends of mine stayed in what they said were pretty average rooms, and they cost well over a hundred dollars apiece.

Directions: Right downtown. About as hard to find as Parliament Hill.

• KittyLou's Profile Photo

History & Memories

Delightful, relaxing, classy but not stuffy.
    While the Fairmount folks have modernized some, which I may moan about, there is still plenty of history and old fashioned warm respectful service.

My husband and I started staying in the Chateau Lauier in the 1990s and hope to continue for years and years to come.

Unique Quality: CL intials on all the room door handles, and in the stair railings. Edwarian touches in lobbies, hallways.

• Redliner's Profile Photo

Stay in one of Ottawa's Landmark buidlings....

The Chateau Laurier is one of the finest accomodations in Ottawa. It's location is outstanding. Right next to Rideau Canal, the Parliment buildings, and the Byward Market, the Chateau Laurier is where you want to be if you want to be in the heart of Ottawa. The service is top notch, the decor is elegant and wonderful facilities. There's a level of excitement that accompanies your stay at this property.

Unique Quality: The location is probably the best feature. However I did enjoy the fitness room and swimming pool. There's also a bike rental place onsite. I highly recommend exploring the city with a bike if the weather permits.
    Here's some info:
    # Rentals can be made by the hour or up to 30 days
    # Average price for a full day's rental is $20.00
    # For more information, please call RentABike at (613) 241-4140

The restaurants are good on property, even for the pickiest of pallets. However, I recommend going down to the Byward Market, a few blocks away and trying the variety of restaurants and eateries available.

Directions: Right across the Canal from the Parliment Buildings.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Chateau Laurier

As the centerpiece of Canada's capital, Fairmont Château Laurier rests majestically between Parliament Hill, the Ottawa River, The Congress Centre and the open-air Byward Market. A historical monument in itself, the hotel enchants guests with its charm and stateliness. Brass stair rails, marble floors, high ceilings, antiques resting elegantly in rooms and foyers and wool carpets round out the hotel's regal beauty.

That is the promo version and it is all accurate. This is a great building however I didn't stay here, out of my budget ;-(

• kayla_gorecky's Profile Photo

Expensive, but worth it

If you are willing to pay the money, and trust me its worth the stay, you can stay at the Chateau Laurier. Its a beautiful and elegant suite place. In the morning you will be greeted with a beautiful breakfast which is extra, but well worth it. The little added touches really big it that extra bang, for example little miniture individual bottles of jam.

If you can not afford to stay at the Chateau Laurier, I suggest at least you come in and have a look around. Its just a beautiful site all on its own. Whether you stay the night, or just have a look around, be sure to make the Chateau Laurier a place to stop on your visit to Ottawa.

Unique Quality: The Chateau Laurier is located downtown Ottawa. It is equipt with beautful views of the Parliment Buildings, as well as all the down town beauties.

The Chateau Laurier is equipt with facilities for the whole family. However, I would suggest the stay for couples only, and not so much for entire families, as there is too many thnigs kids could break.

The Chateau Laurier has an indoor pool, sauna and fitness facility for your enjoyment.

• deptlads's Profile Photo

Château Laurier

Staying here was a bit of an indulgence, but it was just for one night, and we had wanted to stay in at least one of the landmark Fairmont hotels.

At least our CAD209/night room rate included breakfast, which was very good, although the room we got was pretty standard.

Unique Quality: Landmark building.
    Unparallelled location.

More about Fairmont Chateau Laurier

Fairmont Chateau Laurier- The BacksideFairmont Chateau Laurier- The Backside

Fairmont Chateau Laurier hotel.Fairmont Chateau Laurier hotel.

Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel, from Capitol HillFairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel, from Capitol Hill

Major's Hill park - Fairmont Chateau Laurier hotelMajor's Hill park - Fairmont Chateau Laurier hotel

Advice on dance clubs

by orlandoglobetrotter

We are going to Ottawa for the party that is Canada Day. We'll be arriving the night before which is a Saturday night. My wife and her best friend want to go to a dance club. We're thinking that a Saturday night is going to be pretty happening anyway and the Saturday night before Canada Day even more so. Does anyone have any suggestions on either a "top 40" type club or 80's music club in or near Byward Market (so they can walk from the Chateau Laurier where we are staying)? These are mid-30's white chicks with office jobs so the "alternative" or body-piercing crowd is not where they would fit in. Thanks for your help.

by YVRDave

There probably are a few places but, I understand the Quebec side of the River has more entertainment options.

by orlandoglobetrotter

Thanks for the reply. We are not going to have a car and don't really know our way around (having never been there) and it will already be dark when we get there and get checked in. Byward Market is an easy walk from Chateau Laurier. You say the options are less than the Quebec side but can anyone give me at least one name of a club that fits the original question. Thanks...

by YVRDave

Have you looked at the Ottawa pages of VT members? Sometimes a little work can get the answers

by ladysail

My son is 31 and I'll ask him what his opinion is for a dance club. I don't know that Ottawa has Top 40's dance club on the Market...they do have alot of bars with music though. That I know!
Will get back to you after chatting with son. If there isn't a dance club, the gals might have a great time just walking from bar to bar enjoying the music.
It will be crowded, that I can tell you! But from my experience..it will be safe.
Have a great time!

by orlandoglobetrotter

Thanks a bunch. We laeve on Wednesday so if you could hurry on that, it would be appreciated.

by ladysail

This is what my 31-yr old son suggested on the Market:

The drink
Tilla Tequila
Honest Lawyer
Whiskey
Heart and Crown, not a dance bar but a 30's club with live bands
Pub 101

I'd actually suggest going to Elgin Street, it's an older crowd, suggested places:
Griffins
Firestation
Maxwells

Elgin Stree is quite walkable from the Chateau Laurier Hotel...in fact, it intersects Wellington Street (the front of the Chateau is on Wellington Street).

Hope that helps!