Mérida Hotels

Our Members Say

• VIRTUALWORLD profile photo VIRTUALWORLD

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Mexilio: Dark, Dirty, poor Management

We booked two rooms for five days to see the mayan sites in the area. However the day we arrived the government closed all mayan sites, theaters, resturants. Since the US Consulate and the Mexican government issued a travel warning not to stay in Mexico because of the swine flu we were forced to return the day after we arrived.

So, in addition to having our tour ruined the Casa Mexilio refused to return the three days which we were not able to use. The hotel management could care less about the hotel guests. Unfortunely the rooms were also dark and the floors and tables were dirty. Not value for your money! The Mexican manager would not even give us a check out statement on the day we left, we would have to contact the American owner by e-mail. We did that upon our return no answer, so we called, his attitude was tough luck he's not responsible. Beware when you book at this hotel.

Close to the center of town.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Archeology, Eco-Tourism
  • Written May 11, 2009

• ramblingrose profile photo ramblingrose
  • Reviews: 16

Casa Azul-Urbano Rentals: Home for the moment

I found this home rental through the Yucatan Today website and after our stay my only regret is that we could not stay longer. You can believe all of the pictures on their website at http://www.bestofyucatan.com/azul.html.

The house is located in a working neighborhood within easy walking distance from Merida's main square. There isn't a reserved parking spot but we were able to make day trips each day and still park right across the street every time we returned.

If you have to have all the hotel conveniences this may not be the place for you but if you want some extra room and a taste of living local I would highly recommend a stay here. John made our arrival and departure easy and gave us great information on local restaurants and attractions.

The pool, just a few steps outside the house, is secluded by the house and an approx. 15 foot tall wall. We used this pool more than we have ever used a hotel pool.

The rooftop sitting area was a great place to read in the morning and to get a rooftop view of the city.

The eat-in kitchen was well equipped, and there are several markets nearby. The wonderful dining room table made us wish we had friends to invite over for a meal.

• Related to: Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written April 6, 2009
Tip Photo

Lots of space and natural light.

• Jase1177 profile photo Jase1177
  • Reviews: 162

Hotel Gran Centenario: Central & Acceptable

Hotel Gran Centenario - I stayed at this hotel three nights and was satisfied with the room for the price and location. The location was only about four blocks from the central plaza, which made it quite convenient. The hotel was well kept, with a long exterior hallway/courtyard, and friendly reception staff. The room was fairly modern and quite clean with air con, fans, and television. The bed was a bit lacking, as the mattress was rather thin and the frame a little shaky. I was not overly impressed but it was acceptable with the price, location, amenities, and cleanliness

Cost: 300 $MX per night for a single.

• Written July 4, 2008

• rafgys profile photo rafgys
  • Reviews: 263

Merida Hostel: Backpacker's option

It’s the cheapest option, I paid $60 (which is about USD 5.50) the night. It is a few blocks away from the ‘zócalo’ area, a 15-minute walk to the bus stations. It’s quite clean, although you may see roaches at their backyard… just at night, and only outside.

It includes free breakfast, just two slices of bread and some coffee.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written August 30, 2007

• StAlphonzo profile photo StAlphonzo
  • Reviews: 8

Casa de Los Arcos: The best B&B in Merida

What can I say about Los Arcos B&B that hasn't been said over at TripAdivsor? Yeah, this is the #1 rated B&B in Merida on the TripAdvisor website with over 70 positive ratings and I couldn't even find it on this website?!? It is my mission to change this. The proprieter, originally from Virginia, converted this lovely colonial home into a showpiece of traditional archetecture from the area. The main house is like a museum of Spanish art. The two guest rooms are recent additions and have all the modern conveinces you would expect back in the states.

If you're looking for an intimate experience this is the place for you. Los Arcos has only 2 rooms so privacy is assured. David and Alberto do a fantastic job of making sure you're needs are taken care of. The breakfasts are fantastic! The pool is available 24 hours, as is the hot tub. The rooms are air conditioned and beautifully appointed. Wireless internet is available.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Gay and Lesbian, Women's Travel
  • Written August 8, 2007

• Ross70 profile photo Ross70
  • Reviews: 2

Casa Becil: Nice, cheap, quite and handsome place

Very basic place but with everything you need. It is cheap, with ceiling fans, close to the bus station (useful as you will leave early in the morning to go to Chichèn or Palenque or to tour thr Ruta Puuc). It has a small patio where you can relax in peace, maybe with a book and a drink.
Walking distance from downton Mérida: 10 mins.

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written August 25, 2006

• Gabrielito profile photo Gabrielito

Casa Mexilio: Picturesque, tastefully furnished, friendly

This is a wonderful place to stay in Merida. It is run be very friendly owners, who offer a very tasty 3-course breakfast. The rooms are spread across various courtyards and four levels. Once in the house, it is almost like a fairy tale castle, the setting and all the details of the interior design are extremely tastefully done. There is a relaxing and secluded pool, a rooftop terrace where you can sip great (value-for-money) cocktails, served by very friendly staff. Can be highly recommended. If you book online, there are discounts.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Architecture
  • Written August 21, 2006

Inside the fairy-tale castle

• cochinjew profile photo cochinjew
  • Reviews: 1736

Hotel Santa Ana: A nice hotel slightly out of the way

I arrived at the Airport close to 10 pm and was in a burry to get to the hotel. From the previous airport i had checked the internet for hotel recommendations. I saw Hotel Santa Ana and had called them and made a booking ( no credit card necessary ), what attracted me was that they had wireless connections.

it is the old home of a literati from these parts. converted like many of the hotels into a small hotel. friendly staff and the rooms are adequate enough. but it is 8 blocks away from the central plaza which is the place you would want to be in the evening. it is only two blocks from paseo montejo but that is not a comfort for a casual visitor.
single room cost 370 mxn in june of 2006

• Written June 27, 2006

• Pat&ZoAnn profile photo Pat&ZoAnn
  • Reviews: 164

Casa Azul: Beachfront Property

This is a privately owned summer home. The owner lives in Merida and rents it out while his family is not using it. The house is HUGE (we didn't find the fourth bedroom for a couple of days). It was a bit of an adventure finding the place, we drove a long way past it, before we realized we were looking for the landmarks too late.

Swimming pool, the caretaker had to fill it for us, which he did with no problems. Viewing the fisherman doing their daily routine was interesting. Their were only two or three TV stations, all in Spanish, but we didn't come here to watch TV, so that was OK.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Eco-Tourism
  • Written May 27, 2006

Zo Ann sunbathing in front of Casa Azul

• mambomama profile photo mambomama

Casa Esperanza: Merida's Special Oasis

Our stay was wonderful from the moment we arrived until we left. The owner's were so pleasant & accommodating. They made us feel like this was our home. The breakfasts prepared were true gourmet, delicous & healthy. The pool was huge & refreshing, a great place to relax after visiting the sites. The property is beautiful, the rooms and gardens are amazing like in a magazine. I would recommend this place to anyone and will return.

Pool
Art
Antiques
Close to everything
Gardens
Great Food

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Food and Dining, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written May 19, 2006

Pool wow!

• e-katarina profile photo e-katarina
  • Reviews: 69

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Charlie's: Avoid at all cost

I think we were really very tired when we checked into this place.. we'd only recently arrived in Mexico and had spent the day at Chichen, so when we saw the room, we happily took it for 200 pesos (outrageous price for what it was)!

After resting a while, I think our eyes started to open.. stains all over the walls, tears in the curtains.. Bathroom in an awful state with stains everywhere.. When I went to the toilet, I found a huge dead insect on the floor.. so wondering the last time someone cleaned the place.. Then there was a horible cocroach.. and when the night arrived, little caterpilar-worm type creatures started to creep into the room from under the door..

The bathroom looked so unhygenic, that we didn't even want to take a shower, we used moist tissues to freshen up.. and with all the creatures in there, we didn't even dare go under the sheets.. we set up a mosquito net to make sure none of these creatures would start climbing all over us in our sleep..

Disgusting place.. and in fact, I think we were the only foreigners there.. seemed like a place where mexicans from elsewehere stay while looking for a job in town.. at least that's the impression I got..

The famous french guide book "Le guide du routard" suggested this adress.. we were wondering whether it was part of their humour or what..

None

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written November 3, 2005
Tip Photo

• cat-alunya profile photo cat-alunya
  • Reviews: 16

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Posada Toledo: An Old Mexican Mansion Converted

When we walked in the main gate of The Hotel Posada Toledo, the entryway and courtyard were magnificent, reminscent of old colonial mexico & old money. A bit sick from something I'd eaten, I headed straight to my room. I must admit- my first thought was- YUCK! I asked my husband to find us another hotel, but we had already paid our $20 bux for the room (whoop-dee-doo) and noone else thought it was that bad. I got more sick & laid in my bed. It was the eve of my 29th birthday and I was a car fume away from vomitting. The bathroom was clean, but super small and bare-bones. One hand sized towel for 2 & a bathmat.
The room itself was large but had fluorescent lighting that illuminated the dusty scraped up walls and gave the room an overall glow of sick green and yellow, that pissed me off (I'm a sucker for good lighting). The floors were tiled in a beautiful manor but the colonial style twin wooden beds, while cute, were old and shakey. My emotions were mixed on the place, until I woke up the next morning, 29 years old and opened my door. The picture above was my first exterior view of life at 29 and it was breathtaking. Suddenly, my stomach felt better, the room looked more charming and I turned off the flurescent lights and let the misty sun sift through the door.
It was hotter than a *&^%^&*^#, but we retired to the open air state room on ground level that was now a small 7-8 table breakfast room with huge old portaits of the lineage that once owned and lived in this enormous estate.
All in all, nice breakfast, great look and for the price, you just can't beat it. But, if you're looking for a place that feels like the sheets are new, smells fresh and perhaps adorns the bathroom with cute little travel size soaps and shampoos...and has more than a yellowy-cigar smoke stained stand up shower- this is not the place! Still- what a memory. And a burger king that sells ponchos along with Whoppers close by ended up saving my sick stomach. Go figure. I just needed some good old American fast food.

Views and architecture are truly impressive.
Woman who runs the desk likes to collect pens, so bring one with you that is cool and you don't mind giving away.
Rooms are a little dingey- but so old world and cool it's hard to hate it for too long.
Close to everything in Merida!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written February 10, 2005

My first view outside as a 29 yr old

THE WESTIN REGINA: IN CANCUN, BEAUTIFUL, QUIET, COMFORTABLE

We thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Westin Regina while in Cancun. I loved the modern design. The lobby is open to the outside, the rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfortable. Also, the pool area is quiet, no music or bingo games as we experienced at other hotels when we stopped in to look around.

And, It was a good location for us because it was at the south end of the island closer to the airport than the other hotels.

• Written November 15, 2004

The Westin Lobby - Open to the Outside

MAYALAND RESORT AND BUNGALOWS: EXTRAORDINARILY BEAUTIFUL & NEXT TO CHICHEN ITZA

The photo shows one of the many guesthouses on the grounds of Mayaland. We loved the beauty and comfort of this resort. The 100 acres of landscaped grounds, the separate thatched roof bungalows, the large, beautifully appointed rooms and comfortable beds, the porch with a hammock, chairs and table, and the outdoor and indoor dining rooms with delicious food made staying here, right next to Chichen Itza, an outstanding experience.

• Written November 15, 2004

Guesthouse at Mayaland

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Fiesta Americana Merida: BIG, LUXURIOUS, FULL-SERVICE HOTEL

We didn't stay at the Fiesta Americana but we had dinner in their Los Almendros restaurant and looked around the hotel. The food was excellent and the hotel looks as though it would be a great place to stay if you are looking for this type of accommodation. We prefer a smaller hotel or B & B when we travel. But from what I saw of the Fiesta Americana, I would recommend it.

This is a 5 star hotel with all of the amenities. It has 5 floors and was built in 1994. It's located on a major avenue about 5 minutes by taxi from the main historical district downtown.

• Written November 12, 2004