Best Value Inn Albuquerque East

Americas Best Value Inn / East Albuquerque
Travelocity Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Albuquerque

Que Chula! Fun stuff!Que Chula! Fun stuff!

MenuMenu

EntranceEntrance

Torquoise--A Southwest TraditionTorquoise--A Southwest Tradition

Goin to UNM

by art-chick

Hello all...I've read your previous postings and it has helped me a lot. I have been searching online for an apartment to move into in August. I've used apartmentguide.com and it is very informative. I have been most interested in some beautiful apt. complexes in the northeast area of town. I've also researched that most of these areas are only between a ten or fifteen minute drive.
But, I would love to have the option of riding my bike to campus on pretty days. My question is, do you know of any scenic apartment complexes within biking distance of UNM's campus? I will be entering a masters program in landscape architecture, so outdoor scenery is important to me. Thanks for all your helpful advice.

by kymbanm

Most of the newer / prettier complexes are in the heights or west side of town. What you'll find closer to UNM are converted older homes used as student rentals. Each of these has it's own charm and you can create your own mini landscape! North campus area rentals look over the golfcourse ... but i really don' THINK that's what you had in mind ;)

You best bet, since you'll be in town for the duration of your grad program, is to take an apartment you find online for a short term lease. That will give you the security of knowing you'll have an initial homebase - but give you the freedom to look for something else once you have your bearings in town.

BTW- parking on campus .. well like most uni's .. sucks. I prefer to bus into campus myself :)

by dmac733

There is a bike trail that goes from the street Pennsylvania in the NE Heights all the way to UNM, here is a web site with bike maps http://www.cabq.gov/bike/. You can also catch the rapid ride bus at the Uptown bus station, taking you all the way to UNM. It would be best if you check out the city and get a view of where you would like to live.

RE: RE: Goin to UNM

*waving*
Hi Dave! great idea about rapid ride AND bike paths :)

RE: RE: Goin to UNM

HI Kymbanm

Good to hear from you. Lets get this group together for a spring meeting.
Dave

by dmac733

Just to let you know people ride their bikes year around here, in colder months you might not get to ride as much but there is always good days to ride anytime of the year.

by prometheus

You might consider the Citadel Apartments which are only about a mile north of UNM on University Blvd. A bike trail to UNM passes right behind the apartments. I can't recommend them, since I don't know what they are like. They are relatively new (5+ yrs?) and look nice from the outside.

by lleegilmer

Citadel Apts are at least 25 years old as they were there when I was in grad school in 1979. Sounds like at least the outside has been well kept up. If you live in the NE just remember it's all up hill going home. I lived at Snowheights and Eubank and planned on biking to UNM but only did it once. Also, you don't want to be biking at night if you have night classes. Even with bike trails, I wouldn't trust the drivers or criminals.

We just moved back after 20 years and have found the crime rates a lot higher than in the 80s. We don't go out at night much and got a rental house with bars on the windows and doors. Had a murder less than a mile away in one of the nice areas and the grocery store 1/2 mile away was robbed this summer.

I agree with the suggestion of renting someplace short term - maybe a semester then looking around. I don't know if all the buses have bike racks or not but at least some of them do so you should check that out.

Travel Tips for Albuquerque

Take a ride up the Sandia Peak...

by jgemini65

Take a ride up the Sandia Peak Tramway! This site is located in the Cibola National Forest and escalates up through the Sandia Mountain Wilderness! Head north out of Albuquerque to find this great spot!
***This is the third longest clear span in the world!*** My daughter is attempting to look through the viewer in this photo! Ifyou can see...each tube reveals another spot to observe! There is a bar/cafe,gift shop, and skiing in the winter at the top!

Take a Ghost Tour!

by HispanicYob

Now if you're one of those one's who's expecting to see ghosts on any tour that advertises haunted locales, then you'll always be disappointed. Don't expect too much, and expect the unexpected! I took this tour with a couple of friends in October of 2009 and I learned a lot about my town as well as the spirits that are reported to haunt the location of Old Town, where the tour takes place. Consider taking it if you visit Old Town. The tours are held daily, in almost whatever weather.

Salinas Pueblo Missions National Park

by kymbanm

The people of Salinas Pueblo Missions left the area over 300 years ago. They where believed to be decendents of the Anasazi and the Mogollon .... native ancestors known to be in the region over 7000 years ago.

These pueblos were agricultural centers and became large cities of stone with large plazas which contained spiritual places of worship and ceremony known as Kivas. Hundred of apartment-like rooms contained the inhabitants of each pueblo.

Early exploration of the New Mexico region ocured during the 1500's. By the 1600's, the riches of New Mexico were considered largely legend. The nearby salt field was considered a great find - but this was not enough to maintain the presence of the Spanish military in the region. Pope Phillip II had charged the Spanish crown with Christianizing the New World natives ... so regional missions were built and maintained at the cost of the government of Spain.

I love wandering ruins, and these have quickly become one of my favorites! What do I like about them ??... the surroundings, architecture, and spiritual feeling of these pueblos. I am a person who loves to wander about, and this is a wonderful, historical, yet natural series of places to do just that ..... wander about :) BTW-This is a day's trip to/from ABQ I take NM337 down, and US60 out ... so It's like a strange circle.

Driving directions from NPS website: To travel the historic highway route from the north, take I-40 east from Albuquerque to NM 337, drive south 54 miles to Mountainair. Information on the Quarai, Abo, and Gran Quivira ruins, as well as the surrounding area, are provided by National Park Service rangers at all three ruins and park headquarters.

Abo: Ruins are 9 miles west on US 60 and one-half mile north on NM 513. Telephone: (505) 847-2400.

Gran Quivira: Ruins are 26 miles south on NM 55. Telephone: (505) 847-2770.

Quarai: Ruins are 8 miles north on NM 55 and 1 mile west. Telephone: (505) 847-2290.

Dining in Old Town

by Bwana_Brown about La Hacienda

La Hacienda is located in Albuquerque's Old Town area, about six blocks south of the main Downtown area of the city. The restaurant also includes an Indian Gift Shop, which you must pass through to reach the restaurant itself. This part of the city is the old historic district and the shops are set up to cater to the tourist traffic wandering about. I went to the restaurant with a couple of the meeting delegates from Massachusetts, but I was not feeling overly hungry so I kept meal light. I decided to go with a Grilled Chicken Caribbean salad - marinated chicken breast slices in a crisy tortilla shell, pico degallo, pineapple chunks, tortilla chips and honey lime dressing. For $8.95 it was not too bad - especially with a strawberry Margarita!

A Collection of ALL Our Local Flavors!

by kymbanm about Pueblo Harvest Cafe & Bakery

I've heard about this place for years, and having Beee in town for a day of local wandering finally got me motivated to TRY it! OMG! WHY did I wait so long!!!

Located inside the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, this quiet little eatery has menu choices that cover most of our favorite local dishes ... from Mutton Stew, Green Chile Stew, Blue Corn Pancakes and MORE! There are dishes served that are usually only found during the holiday season - this is one place you can get bisquichitos year round!

I should also mention that being inside the Cultural Center, you can begin our end your meal with a tour of TWO different museums, and the entire complex to boot! So come spend a few hours playing ... okay? I got the Chaco Combo with green chile on the side ... a taco, enchilada and tamale that were quite good! Beee got the Tiwa Taco - which is known regionally as an Indian Taco ... Fry Bread filled with all the usual taco bits (meat, lettuce, tomato, etc). I shared my green chile sauce and I saw Beee's face light up with happiness as she munched away. Of course, sending her to the airport with a few bisquichitos didn't hurt either :)

Comments