100 E San Francisco St., Santa Fe, New Mexico, 87501, United States

La Fonda on the Plaza
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Important Spot to Know in Santa Fe

Although I have attended conferences, eaten in the restaurant and met people at the La Fonda Hotel, I have only spent the night there once and that was many years ago. The biggest advantage of the La Fonda is its convenient location at the southeast corner of the Plaza. This has been true throughout its long history. Not only is it a good meeting place, but also the hotel parking is cheaper than the city lots (e.g. $2.00 vs. $3.60 for two hours).

Unique Quality: There are many interesting and unique shops in the La Fonda. Don't miss the ones along the underground hallway to the south.

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

End of the trail

Santa Fe has plenty of accommodation but there is really only one place to stay: La Fonda Hotel. There has been a fonda (inn) at the end of the Santa Fe Trail for hundreds of years. The present adobe-style building was built just over 80 years ago on the site of the previous hotel. The interior of La Fonda is decorated with original southwestern art and handicrafts. Some of the paintings are by artists who once stayed at the hotel.

• hemisfear's Profile Photo

Right in the Plaza

If you're there to shop, this is where you want to be. Everything is within walking distance.

Unique Quality: Adobe construction, very old but renovated. The terrace is out of this world. A historical landmark. Kinda expensive but well worth it...

Directions: Plaza

More about La Fonda On The Plaza

our dos pesos worth: enchanting classy classic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CintiKid

We have stayed at La Fonda several times in the last 7 years and would gladly return. Most rooms have been unique in Sante Fe style and in comfort. The hotel folks have been friendly and helpful. The conference we attended once at the hotel worked well, too. Location - excellent. The restaurant - excellent and a pleasure just to sit in, not to mention to eat in. Sure, some wonderful other places to stay in town, but for us, La Fonda is just right.

La Fonda is worth the money

I had a Suite overlooking Water St. on the south side of the building. It was bright and clean. I left a note for housekeeping that a lamp lightbulb was out and it was immediately replaced. All the lamps were bright enough for reading. When I first walked in my room I noticed the ice machine closet right next to me and was concerned about the noise. I never heard it inside my quiet room. The bathroom was old fashioned but spotless and roomy. I can't remember the last time there was a medicine cabinet above the bathroom sink for toiletries. While this hotel is old I found the light, decorative (even the support columns in the parking garage were enhanced by art) southwestern flourishes very appealing. I had lunch in their restaurant one day and enjoyed it. The pool and whirlpool were nice. I watched sunset from the rooftop bar the first evening and was compelled to return my other two nights. The hotels location seems tough to beat. La Fonda charges a pretty penny, but I would happily stay there again.

Upgraded to Concierge Level and Loved-it!

by TripAdvisor Member NWBallardTraveler

We booked our three day stay at the La Fonda using Expedia. Our request was for a "superior" room with two beds. When we arrived at the La Fonda we were given a "standard" room but before even leaving the reception desk I questioned the desk clerk about the difference. Immediately our room was changed to "concierge" level. At the concierge level we found we were in a newer section of the hotel with a private elevator (quite slow at times) and our own personal concierge staff person. A light breakfast is included (7:00 9:30 sharp - don't be late because the food is removed promptly at 9:30!). I was extremely pleased with our spacious, quite room. The information provided by our concierge was very helpful and the day trip we planned based on our concierge's advice was perfect. We liked the fact that the La Fonda has a free business center with computer access. The La Fonda's lobby atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable. We appreciated viewing the historical artwork and pictures throughout the hotel. We did order room service one evening to enjoy on our private patio -- the food was good but expense and not that plentiful. Lastly, parking is difficult in this section of Santa Fe. We did use the hotel's parking lot (adjacent $10.00 a day) and although a little tight to navigate it was adequate and secure.

Great Property

We very much enjoyed our stay here in October. It is a very pricey hotel but it seems that is the norm in Santa Fe. What do you get for a standard room for over $200/night? Character and charm! It is very "New Mexican", certainly not a fancy room by any means but clean and comfortable. The location is superb for its convenience to everything.
I do not think I would pay for an upgraded room since there is so much to do besides sit in your room. The housekeeping staff was friendly and happy and the concierge assistance was outstanding. I would only comment on
2 negatives, the first being the walls between the guest rooms are extremely thin. We unfortunately had to listen to the couple next door begin a tirade at about midnight that went on much too long over an embarassing subject that we would much have preferred not to have listened to (if they only knew!) and we did not wish to embarrass them by calling or banging on a wall. The front desk staff were the only people who worked at the hotel that weren't particularly helpfull or pleasant, maybe it was just the 2 or 3 that we dealt with. They weren't rude, just not very pleasant as was the case with almost everyone we met, everywhere we went in all of Santa Fe! We can hardly wait to return!

Very reasonable; Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member TravlChick

We stayed at La Fonda the weekend after Thanksgiving 2005. It was alovely visit; great time to go to Santa Fe because they do the Christmas Lighting in the plazas and it is beautiful. The hotel was quite nice; perhaps a little dated but very good service. Our room was pretty large - we booked it online and got a rate of $159 which we thought was nice - had a small sitting area and a large bedroom area. Everyone at the hotel was service oriented. The exercise room leaves a lot to be desired - rather cheap, outdated equipment, but other than that, you can't beat the location. Concierge was quite knowledgeable and made great reservations for dinner. I would definitely stay here again. They were holding a craft show in the hotel which was also quite nice.

Great Place -

by TripAdvisor Member MorrisTrave

This hotel is great!!! Excellent location in the centre of old town Santa Fe .- Expensive but great. The rooms are cool and just fine. The pool and Jacuzzi are great. Staff perfect – all is great here.
Room didn’t seem to have mini bar. No problem though.
They had a great arts and crafts fair when we visited – not sure if that is all the time. We visited in nov/dec – VERY COLD. We had snow, which was out of this world beautiful!!! See pics.

They provide robs as well. Just a great place

Suggest going to Ojo Caliente for the spa.

Lots of Jewellery to buy in Santa Fe - the best Artist community ever!

Comments