237 Meeting Street, Charleston, South Carolina, 29401, United States

apbeaches's Profile Photo

King Charles Inn

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 23, 2013

Fabulous location, from here we walked all over Charleston. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was clean, plush and very comfortable. Linens & king size bed were thick, toiletries were nice, bathroom was large with a vanity and lit magnifying mirror.. We had a keurig coffee machine, frig, safe and a terrace with a sofa, table & 2 chairs. Wireless internet service worked well. Small pool in front, computer available and coffee.

Breakfast was custom prepared, assorted quiches were very good as well as fruit pancakes. There is a bar with desserts, snacks & drinks in the hotel. Wonderful restaurants are literally all around the hotel. In and out parking is included.

Unique Quality: We keep coming back because we've had a very comfortable room in the best location. However, the layout of the hotel is a bit of a maze; we walked around the hotel and up two flights of steps from the 3rd floor. This is not the place for people that are physically challenged.

Directions: 2 blocks from the market, steps from wonderful restaurants. Around the corner from shops on King Street.

BED BUGS and RUDE management

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 13, 2012

When we arrived for a weekend trip, we were pleased with the location of the hotel and what appeared to be a nice room. The check-in staff were friendly and accommodating. I woke up after the first night feeling itchy. My husband read that a sign of bed bugs is tiny blood spots on the sheets, so he inspected the bed and found about 10 tiny spots on my side. When we removed the sheets we found a tiny black bug that appeared to be dead. We called the front desk and a bellman came and picked up the bug and looked at it. We asked to be moved so we could shower. The manager came up and said she couldn't find any bugs and asked to see the bites. I didn't want to pull down my pants to show them. She said she had been trained extensively in bed bugs and the bites don't itch and the bugs are clear. A quick look at WebMD disproves both statements. We were told two people had just checked out and a new room would be available soon. We went to eat breakfast and checked back. No room, but they promised to call as soon as one was ready. We ventured out in 30 degree weather to a coffee shop to wait. After another 90 minutes, we called and were told housekeeping was checking on rooms. After 20 minutes, we walked back and the front desk staff scrambled and eventually found a room -- more than three hours after our initial call. The manager was rude and acted as if we were being deceitful. We stayed the second night without issue. The next morning my husband visited the manager before showed her cell phone pictures of the bites on my legs. She said pest control didn't find any bugs. He got very upset with her and she was exceediny was rude to him. Later, I asked to see her and told her that while I'm certain there are people who scam hotels, we are not those people. We never asked for anything except a different room and it took three hours to get it. I told her I didn't appreciate her questioning my credibility. She said that when she came to our room I had said I didn't have any bites and that I said I was being a "hypochondriac." What I had actually said was that I was itching all over and that after finding the bug and the blood, some of the itching could be "psychosomatic." Big difference. She was inexcusably rude and defensive when all we wanted was a clean room and a sincere apology. I don't blame them for the bugs. That can happen at the nicest hotels. I do blame them for treating us like criminals and liars.

Unique Quality: Great location and free parking.

Directions: Near market.

Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

by written on December 28, 2011

The Best Western King Charles Inn is located in the heart of historic Charleston on Meeting Street. From this prime location you can walk to all of the major historic sites like the churches and the market, the shops on King Street, and the restaurants on East Bay. Parking is free for all guests in the hotel's odd inner courtyard lot, which you can view from almost all of the rooms (maybe they should've put a swimming pool here instead?).

The hotel was recently remodeled and the rooms are large, clean and full of amenities like big HD TVs, wi-fi, and big, comfortable king-sized beds. The hotel does have a pool on the second floor just above the lobby. It also has a small lounge and a restaurant with breakfast for $10. They also have a manager's happy hour in the evenings for guests.

We stayed here one night between Christmas and New Years, and we were very pleased with the hotel. The front desk staff was great and friendly, the rooms almost perfect, and the price was right. Their rooms with balconies and king beds are normally at least $120 (often higher), but we paid just $65+fees on Priceline.

This 91-room hotel was originally constructed in 1830 a the Pavilion Hotel. It is said that Edgar Allen Poe was often a guest here while he served in the military at Fort Moultrie. In 1885, the hotel was renamed the St. Charles Hotel, and in 1900, it became the Argyle Hotel.

The modern name of the hotel commemorates King Charles II of England, who granted the charter of the Carolina territory to those loyal to him upon the restoration of the English royal family following the rule of Oliver Cromwell.

Great value right on Meeting Street

by written on October 6, 2006

I've seen room rates as low as $99/nt here. In my opinion, it is the best value for a hotel located in the downtown penninsula. The location is great, its on the trolley line, right beside one of the best restaurants (Sticky Fingers) and right on the main drag. The rooms are nicely laid out and some have verandas with rocking chairs. The hotel is in nice condition and it is a quaint historical building, so it doesn't have the typical Best Western cookie cutter layout.

Unique Quality: Like the other reviewer said, parking can be tricky, but we always go in the off season. There is a pool, but we've never used it.

Directions: North end of Meeting Street.

scbelle's Profile Photo

Adequate lodging...

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 13, 2005

I stayed here with a group of friends for New Years Eve 2003. Its not the nicest place to stay in Charleston, but it is certainly a nice enough place. It was a bit dated when we stayed there, but I have since read that the property has been renovated, so it may be better than it was before. The best asset this hotel has, however, is its location.

Unique Quality: Parking is available, but it is tight quarters! Woe be to the owner of a duelie!

Directions: On Meeting Street, two blocks from the market.

soundsgoodtome's Profile Photo

Nice hotel in the middle of town

by written on June 23, 2004

This Best Western was a very nice hotel for its price and is located in the center of town, within walking distance of many places to shop and eat. Meeting St. and King St., which is only one block west, are two of the main roads in downtown, with much to do. Marion Square is just a few blocks away, and many of the tourist places like the aquarium and the riverpark are just a couple minutes away by car.

Unique Quality: The rooms are very nice and spacious, with a separate sink and shower and two double beds, but ours did not have a fridge or microwave. There is a breakfast buffet, but it is not free. Every afternoon at 4:30 there is a free cheese and wine tasting for all guests. The room was only $99 for a weekday in June, but the posted cost is $299, which I imagine they only get during the busiest tourist time of the year.

Nearby Best Western King Charles Inn

• Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Charleston Travel Forum

Need advice about Charleston, South Carolina? Visit the Travel Forum for Charleston and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Charleston hotel reviews