3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com King Charles Inn Booking.com

Costs 71% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

King Charles Inn

Fabulous location, from here we walked all over Charleston. Quiet & very clearn room very small but felt luxorious. Pool & patio were nice, free parking great, enjoyed the breakfast. Very

Unique Quality: Very plush comfortable room but very small. The bathroom was really tiny. We couldn't get up and walk in the same part of the room. Our room was hidden in a back corner of a maze, we walked around the hotel and up two flights of steps from the 2nd floor. This is not the place for people that are physically challenged.

Directions: 2 blocks from the market, steps from wonderful restaurants. Around the corner from shops on King Street.

• BED BUGS and RUDE management

When we arrived for a weekend trip, we were pleased with the location of the hotel and what appeared to be a nice room. The check-in staff were friendly and accommodating. I woke up after the first night feeling itchy. My husband read that a sign of bed bugs is tiny blood spots on the sheets, so he inspected the bed and found about 10 tiny spots on my side. When we removed the sheets we found a tiny black bug that appeared to be dead. We called the front desk and a bellman came and picked up the bug and looked at it. We asked to be moved so we could shower. The manager came up and said she couldn't find any bugs and asked to see the bites. I didn't want to pull down my pants to show them. She said she had been trained extensively in bed bugs and the bites don't itch and the bugs are clear. A quick look at WebMD disproves both statements. We were told two people had just checked out and a new room would be available soon. We went to eat breakfast and checked back. No room, but they promised to call as soon as one was ready. We ventured out in 30 degree weather to a coffee shop to wait. After another 90 minutes, we called and were told housekeeping was checking on rooms. After 20 minutes, we walked back and the front desk staff scrambled and eventually found a room -- more than three hours after our initial call. The manager was rude and acted as if we were being deceitful. We stayed the second night without issue. The next morning my husband visited the manager before showed her cell phone pictures of the bites on my legs. She said pest control didn't find any bugs. He got very upset with her and she was exceediny was rude to him. Later, I asked to see her and told her that while I'm certain there are people who scam hotels, we are not those people. We never asked for anything except a different room and it took three hours to get it. I told her I didn't appreciate her questioning my credibility. She said that when she came to our room I had said I didn't have any bites and that I said I was being a "hypochondriac." What I had actually said was that I was itching all over and that after finding the bug and the blood, some of the itching could be "psychosomatic." Big difference. She was inexcusably rude and defensive when all we wanted was a clean room and a sincere apology. I don't blame them for the bugs. That can happen at the nicest hotels. I do blame them for treating us like criminals and liars.

Unique Quality: Great location and free parking.

Directions: Near market.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Best Western King Charles Inn

The Best Western King Charles Inn is located in the heart of historic Charleston on Meeting Street. From this prime location you can walk to all of the major historic sites like the churches and the market, the shops on King Street, and the restaurants on East Bay. Parking is free for all guests in the hotel's odd inner courtyard lot, which you can view from almost all of the rooms (maybe they should've put a swimming pool here instead?).

The hotel was recently remodeled and the rooms are large, clean and full of amenities like big HD TVs, wi-fi, and big, comfortable king-sized beds. The hotel does have a pool on the second floor just above the lobby. It also has a small lounge and a restaurant with breakfast for $10. They also have a manager's happy hour in the evenings for guests.

We stayed here one night between Christmas and New Years, and we were very pleased with the hotel. The front desk staff was great and friendly, the rooms almost perfect, and the price was right. Their rooms with balconies and king beds are normally at least $120 (often higher), but we paid just $65+fees on Priceline.

This 91-room hotel was originally constructed in 1830 a the Pavilion Hotel. It is said that Edgar Allen Poe was often a guest here while he served in the military at Fort Moultrie. In 1885, the hotel was renamed the St. Charles Hotel, and in 1900, it became the Argyle Hotel.

The modern name of the hotel commemorates King Charles II of England, who granted the charter of the Carolina territory to those loyal to him upon the restoration of the English royal family following the rule of Oliver Cromwell.

• Great value right on Meeting Street

I've seen room rates as low as $99/nt here. In my opinion, it is the best value for a hotel located in the downtown penninsula. The location is great, its on the trolley line, right beside one of the best restaurants (Sticky Fingers) and right on the main drag. The rooms are nicely laid out and some have verandas with rocking chairs. The hotel is in nice condition and it is a quaint historical building, so it doesn't have the typical Best Western cookie cutter layout.

Unique Quality: Like the other reviewer said, parking can be tricky, but we always go in the off season. There is a pool, but we've never used it.

Directions: North end of Meeting Street.

• scbelle's Profile Photo

Adequate lodging...

I stayed here with a group of friends for New Years Eve 2003. Its not the nicest place to stay in Charleston, but it is certainly a nice enough place. It was a bit dated when we stayed there, but I have since read that the property has been renovated, so it may be better than it was before. The best asset this hotel has, however, is its location.

Unique Quality: Parking is available, but it is tight quarters! Woe be to the owner of a duelie!

Directions: On Meeting Street, two blocks from the market.

• soundsgoodtome's Profile Photo

Nice hotel in the middle of town

This Best Western was a very nice hotel for its price and is located in the center of town, within walking distance of many places to shop and eat. Meeting St. and King St., which is only one block west, are two of the main roads in downtown, with much to do. Marion Square is just a few blocks away, and many of the tourist places like the aquarium and the riverpark are just a couple minutes away by car.

Unique Quality: The rooms are very nice and spacious, with a separate sink and shower and two double beds, but ours did not have a fridge or microwave. There is a breakfast buffet, but it is not free. Every afternoon at 4:30 there is a free cheese and wine tasting for all guests. The room was only $99 for a weekday in June, but the posted cost is $299, which I imagine they only get during the busiest tourist time of the year.

More about Best Western King Charles Inn

We had a wonderful time at the King Charles Inn

We visited Charleston, S. C. and stayed at the Best Western, King Charles Inn. The staff was friendly and invited us to have cheese and wine in the upper lobby which they have for guests at 4 PM everyday. One of the reasons that we selected the King Charles Inn was because of the complimentary. off-street parking for guests. There was an elevator that took us from the garage to the third floor where we were staying. We were pleased to see the large room with a king-size bed and french doors that opened out onto the balcony. Our view was the parking lot, but some balcony rooms overlooked the pool. The second floor had a comfortable lobby, entrance to the pool and terrace and the dining room. We had the hot breakfast every morning which consisted of eggs, sausage, french toast, grits, home fries and also included muffins, bagles, bread, dry cereal, fruit, tea and coffee, and assorted jouices. The location was perfect. We walked everywhere. We went on the Fort Sumptner ferry ride which was great. We visited the Charleston Museam. It took us three hours to see the whole thing, it was wonderful. We visited the Aquarium which was also great. We went shopping in the Market and on King Street. We had dinners at T-Bonz, Bocchi, and Jestine. All were great. We were only down for three nights and four days. We hope to return next year and stay for four nights and see Rainbow Row, the Battery and we want to see a plantation and also take a swamp tour. We had a wonderful time. It took us thirteen hours to get there from New Jersey, but it was well worth it. We enjoyed our stay at the Inn.

Nice Place

This was our third family visit at the King Charles Inn/Charleston. For the price (we've also stayed at Charleston Place $$$$), you can't beat the location. It is a very short walk to the market area where there is plenty to do and see, i.e. carriage rides, shopping, eating, street entertainers. We truly enjoyed walking to dinner every evening for seven nights, and never came close to sampling all of the many restaurants. The primary reason to stay at this hotel is LOCATION. Also, parking is free (although limited), the rooms were clean, the wine and cheese reception was nice and the pool (although small) was clean and attractive. We plan to return to Charleston often and have no interest in staying anywhere other then the King Charles Inn. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's a good value and excellent location.

While in Charleston, remember to see the Aquarium, the Battery, Waterfront Park, Fort Sumter, and for a beach visit, drive over to the Isle of Palms. It's a busy beach, but there is public parking and beach access for those wanting to spend the day at the beach.

Many plus's but a few negatives too

by TripAdvisor Member Vaturne

We stayed 3 nights at the King Charles Inn during the Charleston Spoleto festival. Good points were a very good rate, free parking, a comfortable and clean (though not over-large) room, friendly staff, an excellent happy hour with plentiful supplies of wine & cheese, good choice at breakfast time and a great location - within easy walking distance of everything we needed.
Also good was free PC internet access in the lobby, + a wireless network in the lobby/pool area for those with their own laplops

Not so good aspects were the cleanliness of some of the public areas (the stair carpets in particular were very dirty), the tendency for the car park to flood in heavy rain (and boy did we have heavy rain), and a pretty small pool (though enough to keep young children happy).

While it might not be my first choice in the future it certainly wouldn't be my last!

Great Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member IMAJINIT

My wife and I stayed at the King Charles Inn for our 1 year wedding anniversay. I booked our room online through the hotels main website, (-). They had the best rate I could find for a place downtown.

We stayed in the Deluxe King Room. The room was very nice with plenty of room for both of us. The bathroom was large and clean. Also had free high speed Internet Access.

The free parking off the street was a plus, along with all the tourist information they have in the lobby. The staff behind the front counter gave us discount coupons for many different resturants.
The pool area was nice and clean, over looking Meeting St.
They have a resturant on site. We went for the breakfast buffet one morning, but it was expensive for what they had.

The hotel is in a great location. Between Meeting St. and King St.
Everything we wanted to see was within walking distance. We only drove the car once to get over to Patriots Point. It took 5 minutes to walk to Market St, and about 10 minutes to walk to the Aquarium and Fort Sumter National Monument. Many resturants are close by.

I will be staying here again on my next trip to Charleston.

I can't recommend that you stay here

I stayed in this hotel twice in the past where I was happy enough to return this year. Unfortuanately, I found things to be much less acceptable than I would ever choose in advance. Here is just a partial list of problems and issues I found during my stay at the King Charles Inn, Best Western in Charleston,SC.

First off, when I arrived, I found out that when I registered for two rooms by phone, none of my requirements had been noted on the reservation system. So given that, I resolved to deal with it in realtime at the check in desk. One of the agreed-to requirements was that the rooms have a Market St. view and that they be adjacent or very near as my handicapped mother in law was with us and we needed to see to her needs. Also we had traveled 6 hours by car after she flew 3000 miles to be here for her 85th birthday so these things mattered.

It soon became evident at checkin that not only did the clerk have no data about the agreed to reservation requirements but it was obvious that neither of the two clerks had any idea where ANY of the rooms were located but in fact they didn't even have a floorplan map of the hotel at the desk.

They told us we were placed in rooms facing the street and that they were just a few doors away from each other. Turns out not only were the rooms at opposite ends of the building, but our room had a view of someone elses balcony, and if you looked past the balcony, you could see the parking lot surrounded by the building itself. The mother in laws room overlooked an alley with several dumpsters and trash in it.

That aside the rooms were atrocious, peeling and separating wallpaper, toilets that had to have the handles held down to flush, AC units that ignored the thermostats and shut down at night, desks and furniture that was so old that the formica tops were worn down to the color. The cleaning staff did not replaced the towels to the point where my wife and I both had to share a washrag. Printed documents that said if you needed replcement towels you should leave them on the floor otherwise they's assume you wanted to keep the old ones. Which, as I stated they only replaced part of them. You could easily hear people conversing and cleaning in the next bathroom through the vents. Water bottles in the room had small print tags that said if you opened them you would be billed $3.50 each. In the morning the marginal breakfast was $6 for continental and $8 for a hot items off the food bar.

The only thing that was complimentary was the coffee which by the way was excellent. All this for only $139 a night with a cancellation penalty of one night at full rate if notification was less than 48 hours which is sort of ok since they are up front about that.

Although they claim they are remodeling the place, the only place I saw any remodeling was the front office but not any of the rooms themselves had any evidence of same. I personally believe the owners are simply milking the place for all it's worth and dragging their feet at the upkeep and remodeling. I could be an isolated case but I really don't think so, but I won't be back to find out. Maybe the Hampton Inns have just spoiled me too much. Well, all but the Amarillo Tx Hampton Inn that is. That one seems to share a similar management philosophy. You can do better, I know I will.

Sucked

by TripAdvisor Member cakmcakm

Got to the hotel at around 8 p.m. Had booked what was supposed to be a non-smoking room with a king sized bed in a room with a good view (i.e. not of parking lot). High school or college -aged front desk clerk told us at check- in that no king sized beds were available, this despite our reservations being made at least 6 weeks in advance. My husband is tall and quite muscular so to be comfortable a king sized bed is mandatory.
We said we'd look at the alternative rooms available. Clerk told us she'd give us the "honeymoon room" for same price. This room was located in a building across the street. We were surprised (to say the least) when we opened the door to find a very musty smelling, filthy hovel. The carpeting looked as if it had never been vacuumed or cleaned. It was stained and there were scraps of food and broken false fingernails on the floor. The tub and shower were caked with grime and scum. There were hairs in the sink, tub, and on the bathroom counters. The little kitchenette was filthy and there was food and crumbs scattered on the floor.

Since we had booked through Expedia, we called them and we were luckily able to find another hotel. Either our expectations are very high compared to the others who rated this hotel or they had a lot to drink before viewing their rooms.

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member haveticketwilltravel

Good location--walkable to everything I wanted to see in town. Tours available from the hotel to the plantations. Nice happy hour 4:30-5:30 with wine and snacks in the lobby and on the terrace overlooking the small pool is included in the price of the room. A tour guide talked about Charleston and tours available during that time. Free computer and internet access in the lobby for sending emails. Physical facility OK; lighting in bathroom could be better, pool area is being redone. Free parking. Staff pleasant (someone even got us a glass of wine when we had missed happy hour by a few minutes). On Meeting Street between Jestine's and Sticky Fingers (2 restaurants with good food). Breakfast available, but we walked to Baker's Cafe and Sweetwater Cafe for breakfast. Both were good.

Comments