Bandar Seri Begawan Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Bandar Seri Begawan

Public Market

by theguardianangel Written Jun 29, 2014

feeling hot?

Wandering to BSB is recommended and you may want to drop by the public market to have a closer view of the simple lifestyle of the locals. This market is small and quite clean. There’s a small parking space too on the one side. I went roaming around the market and saw these big, bright, red chillies.. it really captured my big eyes. If only I can buy and take it home, I’d have 10 kilos!

The market is situated along the river and there are a few boatmen who offer tour service going to the Kampong Ayer village but I don’t know how much it would cost.

Kiangge Open-Air Food Court

by theguardianangel Written Mar 8, 2014

We’re just passing along at end corner of the river banks and we found this. From the name itself, it’s an open-air food area and most of the foods are grilled. I think there are more locals that dine here because of the atmosphere – open air, the lights from the river, food, etc.

Waterfront Promenade

sunset..

This is the perfect place to rest especially during sunset and at night, to unwind and just think nothing. From here, you can see the Kampong Ayer Village and the lights coming from here, adds more vibrancy at night with the sounds of the river waves. You know what’s more interesting here, are the bars... it’s my first time to see a bar without music, just colorful, blinking lights (and yeah, it’s called a bar!!!). Anyway, I don’t mind it... I don’t drink anyway. I just find it something odd but maybe because I’m in an Islamic Country and I have to respect that.

There are restaurants and different shops adjacent to the boulevard. The Arts and Handicrafts Center is also found here but we didn’t go inside to take a look. We preferred to get mesmerized by the stillness of the place.

Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Complex

very, very warm day!

This place looks like a big plaza to me. It’s adjacent to Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque. It’s a good thing that there’s a place like this to take rest while waiting for the sunset or just letting time to pass. There’s a mall and fast foods too. My friend and I spent a few hours here taking pictures with the mosque as background. It’s a very nice view when you also capture the fountain in the middle and the enormous plants with the mosque.

Malay Technology Museum

at the back of Brunei Museum

This museum is located at the back of Brunei Museum; actually, you have to go down the hill and pass by a small forest. It’s easy to find, just go right (literally speaking). It displays the simple lifestyle of the locals before the modern technology. The building has 4 floors and each has galleries that feature dioramas that exhibit their way of living in different communities like fishing, boat making, sewing, etc.

Picture taking is allowed inside and you don’t need to keep your belongings in a locker:)

No Entrance Fee.

Opening Hours: Sunday to Thursday 9-5pm, Friday 9-1130am, 230-5pm, Saturday 945am-5pm

Brunei Museum

Brunei Museum

I find the museum’s location very distant from BSB but also one of the places that I find interesting. Taking pictures are not allowed inside. As you enter, you have to keep all your belongings in a locker even your phone before you can start the tour. There are 3 hallways, as far as I can remember, Hallway 1 contains a collection of Islamic artifacts that tells history of the Islam (e.g. Koran), also historical collections of the country (e.g. swords, pots, etc.). The 2nd hallway tells about the oil/gas industry of the country and the 3rd hallway displays the wildlife resources.

No entrance fee.

Masjid Jame'asr Hassanil Bolkiah

by theguardianangel Written Feb 16, 2014

Masjid Jame'asr Hassanil Bolkiah

I thought I already have seen a lot after visiting Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque but I was more astonished to see this more beautiful and ornamented mosque! It looks more like a palace than a place of worship to me. I have read somewhere that this is Brunei’s largest mosque and has 29 golden domes with 190 ft minarets... so beautifuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul! I dunno.. I’m just always fascinated by architecture and beautiful landscaped gardens. You’ll see 2 fountains when you face the mosque, left side and in front. The mosque is enclosed by a huge gate and what’s more striking is the color of the mosque when the sun goes away, changing color of the floodlights which enhances its beauty at night. Visitors are allowed to come inside but no picture taking (we understand why) so my friend and I preferred to stay outside to take pictures of the entire building instead, but we’re able to take a look of its other parts. The ceiling is decorated with unique light bulbs and in front, I like the somewhat spiral high staircase and big chandelier which makes the mosque more glamorous.

Kampong Ayer: World's Largest Water Village

by theguardianangel Updated Feb 10, 2014

the house of planes

It was lunch time when my friend and I were walking along the Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Complex to find a place to eat. However, all of the establishments at that time were closed and we were informed that starting at 1130am, the locals start to prepare for their Muslim mass at 12nn so it’s a practice to close stores temporarily and will resume at 130pm... then, a woman (I think Sally is her name, let's just call her Sally) approached us and offered for a Kampong Ayer tour costs 30BND for the 2 of us which is not bad.

Sally called someone in her phone then a boat approached, the boatman is her husband (Can't remember the name! argh!) but I was very careful to fall for scams so I asked a few questions to validate her statement. She mentioned that they have a restaurant along the riverbank aside from their river tour business but closed it for a few hours due to the mass. Her family live in the Kampong Ayer. Well, I find her nice so we accepted the offer (I always trust my instincts and it always turn out to be okay).

The boatman is also nice and friendly. We started the tour without Sally. Mr. Boatman brought us in a restaurant just a few meters away from the riverbank but we only bought coffee drinks ($1.5-3BND) since we prefer to tour around. I like the staffs, they are very welcoming. The boatman told us how the locals prefer to live in a traditional way. This river is different, or should I say, a literal water village and not a slum area.There are primary and secondary schools and the houses are built on their own designs. I also observed that there are no houses without ACs (air conditioners) and because I blurted out my thought about it, the boatman said that they can’t live without one due to the warm weather; in fact, he even have ACs in every room of their house. When a heavy rain comes, a rise in water can’t be prevented so the villagers are transferred in the city for a while until water subsides... and they’re used to it. I just find it amazing!

The tour lasted for almost an hour and we enjoyed it:)

• Sailing and Boating

Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque

by theguardianangel Written Feb 9, 2014

I'm just in awe!

My friend and I spent almost a day in this mosque since we’re too much fascinated by the architecture that stands infront of us. This mosque is an iconic landmark in the heart of BSB. The landscapes and the lake that surrounds the mosque with a barge in the corner added more of its striking appearance. My friend and I can’t stop admiring the structure that we waited until sunset just to have different angles of pictures taken.

The place is situated adjacent to Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Complex where there are malls, fast food restos, and resting place. The mosque is open to visitors just wear the proper attire (no shorts/ sleeveless).

I can’t say more.. just see the pictures, you’ll see what I mean:)

• balhannah's Profile Photo

ROYAL REGALIA MUSEUM - INSIDE

by balhannah Updated Jan 17, 2014

ROYAL CHARIOT

My photo is all that you are allowed to photograph inside this EXCELLENT MUSEUM

I would like to give you an idea of what you see, just in case you are ummmming and ahhhhing on whether to visit it or not!

The displays here, I thought were stunning! so well done, as you can most probably guess, I was impressed!

On display is a large number of the Royal Regalia inherited from generation to generation....
    so you get to see "The Royal Regalia (Coronation, 1968) area" which displays regalia used during the Coronation of His Majesty Paduka Waddaulah.

Next..... the Royal Exhibition Gallery
    And here you find the life history of His Majesty Paduka Waddaulah, from his childhood days up to the time of his coronation. ....and then .....

The Silver Jubilee Gallery ...........
    Chronicles the historic Silver Jubilee celebration on 5th October 1992 of His Majesty Paduka Waddaulah, ascension to the throne. Have a look at Queen Saleha's outfit of gold and diamonds and the Sultan's wife with gold & Pearls!

What made these areas so good was the models, dioramas, photographs, and objects used to make this so life like!

Gold & more gold!.......I saw the Royal Carriage used during the Royal Procession and the accompanying Royal Regalia, A Pemajangan replica (the decorative structure erected at the main entrance area of the palace which is adorned with various types of royal banners and insignia during the royal function), and beautiful gifts and souvenirs presented to His Majesty by local and foreign dignitaries.
    We looked to see what our country ( Australia) and others had given as a gifts, some are quite unusual!

What more can I say! I would love to go back for another look through this EXCELLENT MUSEUM!!

FREE ........ NO PHOTOS!

OPEN....Saturday to Thursday: 8:30am - 5pm
    Friday: 9am - 11:30am & 2:30pm - 5pm

MAGNIFICENT STRUCTURE

by davidjo Updated Feb 11, 2013

golden dome

Jame'Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque is the largest in the country and was built with the Sultan's cash, so nobody knows the cost of the construction. He built it for his silver jubilee and narrates the story of the Royal Dynasty. The golden domed mosque is surrounded by gardens with trees and flowers. The minarets are wonderfully designed as well as the ceiling if you are lucky enough to visit when the locals are not engaged in prayer.

A sign as seen in the photograph shows the opening times for visitors and the general rules.

THE SHOE DEPOSIT WALKWAY

by davidjo Written Feb 11, 2013

shoe deposit walkway--50 meters or more?

At the Jame'Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque you will find the shoe deposit walkway, a covered entrance way towards the mosque where worshipers deposit their shoes. There are shelves each side which allow the storage of thousand's of pairs of shoes to be retrieved by the owners after prayer.

THE SULTAN'S PRIVATE ESCALATOR

his private escalator

Two staircases are to be found at the entrance of the Jame'Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque but in between them you will see an escalator for the Sultan's private use. Why not---he financed the construction.

THE GARDENS OF JAME'ASR HASSANIL BOLKIAH MOSQUE

fountain

You can easily spend 30 minutes wandering through the gardens of the mosque as they have been landscaped and tended with loving care. Enjoy the fountains, the man made pool and the trees and flowers that you will find growing in abundance here.

SULTAN OMAR ALI SAIFUDDIN MOSQUE

by davidjo Written Feb 11, 2013

Unfortunately it was prayer time when we wanted to visit this mosque so we were unable to enter, but it is considered one of the most beautiful mosques in the Asia Pacific and a top tourist destination. My photographs does not do the place justice as it is built by the river with a ceremonial barge nearby. It was built in 1958 in an artificial lagoon by Kampong Ayer, complete with marble minarets, golden domes and fountains in the courtyards. A marble bridge leads to the reconstruction of a ceremonial barge which was constructed in 1967 to commemorate the 1400th anniversary of the coming down of the Koran. There is an elevator to the top of the minaret where there is a magnificent panoramic view of the city.

Instant Answers: Bandar Seri Begawan

Comments

Bandar Seri Begawan Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Bandar Seri Begawan things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bandar Seri Begawan sightseeing.

View all Bandar Seri Begawan hotels