Interlaken Sports & Outdoors

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Tandem Paragliding

by riorich55 Updated Jun 4, 2009

Sue and Alain

Let me preface this tip by saying first, I am not a roller coaster fan and I absolutely refuse to ride on a ferris wheel. I mention this because I've talked to a number of people via VT correspondance and people I work with who love roller coasters and ferris wheels but would never think about doing this. Phobias are an interesting thing.

That being said, when I first saw information on tandem paragliding while searching the internet last year and watching several videos of other people from 5 year old to 80 year olds do this I figured this was something my wife and I could both do. After we signed up and started to take the van up, up, up into the mountains we were a little nervous, but after a few pointers we were off for our 12 minute flight over Interlaken. It was really peaceful and the views were outstanding.

As the 2 pictures show we had a great time with our flight instructors, Alain and Ruben. And if you want to see more of our flight check out this VIDEO which shows Sue taking off with Alain and then the view I had when I was in the air.

The company we used was Skywings although there were 4 other companies who offered paragliding rides when we were there in October, 2008.

• Sky Diving
    • Hang Gliding

• riorich55's Profile Photo

What Do You Want To Try Next?

by riorich55 Written Feb 28, 2009

Checking Out the Adventures Menu

As this picture shows, if you can think it you can do it. For the adventurous there are a wide range of activities you can try in the Interlaken region. We only had time and the money to try one - Tandem Paragliding. Maybe we should try Zorbing next. Hey, I don't see Trotti biking on this menu.

• Water Sports
    • Bungy Jumping

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Paragliding in Grindelwald

by globetrott Written Apr 13, 2006

Grindelwald is an excellent place to go paragliding. The most common places to start from are Pfingstegg and First, but also from Maennlichen , Faulhorn and Schwazhorn. In Grindelwald you may also book Tandem-flights
    From First you may take a tandem-flight of 20 min for 160sfr
    a 45 minutes flight is 260 sfr / 60 min 320 sfr
    From Maennlichen to Grindelwald it will cost 200sfr.
    all these prices include insurance !!
    all transportation-costs will be seperate !!!

Equipment: The rent of all of the equipment will be part of the prices above ! Good shoes and warm clothings will be necessary !

• Mountain Climbing

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Trotti-biking takes you back to childhood

by globetrott Written Apr 13, 2006

This is a funny sport and you may do it close to Interlaken in Grindelwald and also in Meiringen, at Reichenbachfalls. A Trotti-Bike is a scooter-bike , not only for children, but also for grown-ups and you may rent them at Bort ( the middle-station of the First-cablecar in Grindelwald). Hundreds of Trottibikes are waiting there for customers and you may go downhill on one of the various asphalted streets with a total length of 4,5 km.
    Trotti-bikes are available the whole summer-season ! No need to reserve them in advance, there are hundreds of them waiting at the station and will be taken up again by the cable-car again.

Equipment: The rent of 16 sfr / 11 Euros includes the rent of the compulsory helmet and you will also have to give a deposit of 100 sfr or register with your Creditcard / ID / Passport etc. !!

• Seniors

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Whitewater Rafting

by Etoile2B Updated Nov 10, 2005

Interlaken is a resort town that caters to young adventure travelers from all over the world. One of the most popular activities is white water rafting. The company we used is no longer in business, but you should have no trouble finding another guide to satisfy your needs. The afternoon we spent on the river was thrilling and unforgettable.

Equipment: They provide the rafts, oars, helmets and lifevests... Just bring your sense of adventure and be prepared to get soaked!

• 900triple's Profile Photo

tandem pragliding

by 900triple Written Feb 25, 2005
    It takes two to tango

Did'nt do it but the paragliders seemed to be having brilliant fun jumping off the mountains around Interlaken. Many were hovering around the Eiger till late in the evening and then landing in the center of the town.

• Hang Gliding

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Adventure Sports

by Jmill42 Written Mar 10, 2004

Sweeeeet!!!

While you can rent acitivites at any of the hostels and various places along the roads, I would suggest going to Balmers for your thrills. They have been doing this stuff for over 50 years. I trust experience, so these were the people I went with for my paragliding. Here are the activities for the winter and their prices:

- Snowboarding from 110 SFR.
    - Skiing from 110 SFR.
    - Sledding 85 SFR.
    - Snowshoeing 85 SFR.
    - Lessons 50 SFR.
    - Glacier Skiing 215 SFR.
    - Paragliding from 160 SFR.
    - Skydiving from 380 SFR.
    - ScenicFlights from 130 SFR.
    - Bungy Jump from 125 SFR.
    - Canyon Swing 125 SFR.
    - Hang Gliding from 150 SFR.

Summer Activities:

- Canyoning from 110 SFR.
    - River Rafting 95 SFR.
    - Paragliding from 160 SFR.
    - Skydiving from 380 SFR.
    - ScenicFlights from 130 SFR.
    - Ice Climbing 150 SFR.
    - Rock Climbing from 89 SFR.
    - Mountain Biking from 89 SFR.
    - Bungy Jump from 125 SFR.
    - Canyon Swing 125 SFR.
    - Hang Gliding from 150 SFR.
    - Glacier Skiing 215 SFR.

Enjoy!!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the eiger trail

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 1, 2003
    the beginning of the eiger trail

It's a "new-ish" hiking trail that from the kleine scheidegg train station half way up the jungraujoch, takes you down to Grindelwald - passing en route under the glorious Eiger North Wall. Admittedly I had just started the hike when my cell phone rang and had to head down into Interlaken quickly to meet a VTer - but I had a little taste of it, and look like a spectacular hike

Equipment: hiking boots - obviously - and some water. This can be bought at the Kleine Scheidegg.

• besbel's Profile Photo

Info for adventure sports

by besbel Written Sep 11, 2002

Jungfrau: the paradise for adventure sports

For any type of adventure sport you would like to practice at Interlaken, it would be better if you go first to the tourist information office (Höheweg 37), where will help you providing you info and where to get equipment if necessary.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Skiing and Boarding

• barbskie's Profile Photo

Paragliding

by barbskie Updated May 15, 2007

It is very thrilling watching those paragliders floating high up on the air. Mostly are tourists. You might be one of them!

Instant Answers: Interlaken

Comments

Interlaken Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Interlaken sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Interlaken sightseeing.