Cabaña Las Lilas, Buenos Aires

Exterior
    Filet Mignon
    The sleek dining room
  • sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Good meat but way too overpriced!

by sabrina_florida Updated Mar 18, 2012

Hmm... where to start... OK, the beef will never dissapoint you, that's true, but hey! we live in Beef Paradise, so why would you spend a minimum of 70 pesos (23 dollars) just for a coke, a piece of meat and a cover charge of 15 pesos? It's sooo not worth it. You can get extraordinary beef anywhere else and pay half as much, including a side order, a dessert and wine!
    This place was created for tourists exclusively, as the prices are a total rip off. If you come to think of it, the prices are in dollars, not in pesos... 40 pesos for just a piece of grilled chicken??? Sure! that's 13 dollars. And one more thing, this place DOES NOT reflect what beef is for us at all! A gaucho would scream blue murder if he saw it!

Caba��a Las Lilas

• Cabaña Las Lilas: Promise Delivered!

by jrscaggs Written Dec 18, 2011

If you want to experience a great value and can spend a moderate amount of your hard-earned cash, book and dine here. I am not given to exaggeration or effusive behavior (just ask my wife); but our experience was exceptional and worth writing about. Prior to going to Cabaña Las Lilas, on our extended trip, we dined at several area establishments. Local friends said try Cabaña Las Lilas.

The former warehouse row had been converted to lofts above and restaurants along the canals entry floors. Our first good sign was how busy Cabaña Las Lilas was in comparison to the other dinning establishments near.

From the reservation, to the moment of arrival -- to departure, the experience was perfect. I am not sure a short reservation will always work on a Saturday night -- we called at 7:30 PM asking for an 8 PM reservation. To our surprise and delight, we were able to get in. I suppose it is early for locals to dine and it appeared many out-of-town guests were selecting the restaurant spontaneously (walk up and ask to be seated). Take my advice; plan to take this one in. Put it on your list. You will thank me later. By 8:30, they were full and they stayed that way until we left, around 9:30. We watched many couples and groups get turned away.

The hostess staff warmly greeted us. Since it was a beautiful day and cooling off slowly after being in the mid-80s, in the reservation we asked for and were seated outside on the back patio. The wonderful starter that is provided to every patron surprised us. Then came the bread -- and it kept coming, and coming. From the vegetables in olive oil to the blue cheese and butter, the tray delighted the palate and gave you a warm, centered feeling. Garlic bread and rolls unlimited. The staff works a table on a pool or team basis. They work very customer-aware and you are never more than a few minutes without attention to an issue; your water needing a refill - done. The bread tray coming by, boom; the balance of attentiveness without intrusion is remarkable. We had a shopping bag from some recent Christmas gift buying. To ensure nothing of ours walked away, a manager took a zip-tie and attached it to a unoccupied seat arm. Prevention is better than regret. At no time did we feel unsafe of at risk. You could not swing a dead cat and not hit a security guard. They patrolled just outside the restaurant along the moderately traveled footbath along the canal. You may feel more comfortable if you dress in a snappy casual way (khakis and polo shirt for guys, summer dress for gals). They didn't seem to turn anyone away for attire, but most patrons reflected a slightly better than average look of means.

Favorite Dish: Being from Texas, we have opinions about steak; but we asked the manager about the best tasting steak. He didn't point to the Kobe beef area that was 3x+ more expensive, but pointed to the simple Ribeye that was about 400 grams. We have learned that to get what we called Medium Rare in Texas, you must ask for Medium in BA. We had the same Ribeye that was $163 ARS. For sides, we had the rice Las Lilas and the grilled vegetables. The rice had bits of goodness - eggs and other light and full of texture items. The grilled vegetables consisted of onions, tomatoes, zucchini and Portobello mushrooms.

• Business Travel

• MM212's Profile Photo

Cabaña las Lilas: Steak in Puerto Madero

by MM212 Updated Aug 15, 2009

Considered one of the best restaurants in Buenos Aires, Cabaña las Lilas is a parrilla that serves beef from its own Argentine ranches. Its reputation has also made it one of the most expensive in the city, so it has become popular among the wealthy as well as tourists. It is also affiliated with one of São Paulo's most popular steakhouses, Figueira Rubaiyat in Jardins. It was one of the few restaurants open on Christmas Eve 2008, so my travel companions and I ate here more out of necessity. While the food was delicious, the service could have been better and the prices lower. Frankly, as enjoyable as it was, there are other restaurants in Buenos Aires that serve equally delicious food for a lot less money. The restaurant is located in Puerto Madero, the docks area in the city that has been redone and turned into a trendy area in Buenos Aires.

The sleek dining room Exterior Filet Mignon

• Cabaña las lilas: Fantastica cocina y ambiente!

by iax521c Written May 18, 2008

Si visitas Buenos Aires, no puedes dejar de visitar este restaurante! Tanto la comida como el ambiente es fantastico y el entorno inmejorable.

La atencion desde que llegas es fantastica, todo el personal muy amable!

Para repetir, y repetir y repetir!

Favorite Dish: La carne!

• KStanz's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Wonderful!

by KStanz Written Feb 2, 2008

This had to be one of the best places for steak in the city. We went twice in a single week and were not disappointed. The T-bone beats anything I have ever had in any of the major steakhouses in the US. I have been all the best steakhouses in the US and they can't come close to Las Lilas. The service is fantastic, the food is fresh and sitting on the patio is a pleasure. Word to the wise, if you are not going for lunch or an early dinner you will want to make a reservation. Also, you will want to make sure you come hungry. The price can't be beat. Similar food and service in the US would have cost us more than 3xs the amount. We tried hard to spend a lot of money, just to see if we could do it, but two steaks, 3 sides, dessert, 2 bottles of wine and it was still under $120usd!

• Wilmera01's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Okay....if your company is paying

by Wilmera01 Written Nov 2, 2007

The beef here is solid for sure, but why pay so much when you can get the same thing that's just as tasty somewhere else for way cheaper? I say this and I didn't even pick up my tab!

Four of us had wine, drinks, tequila, dessert, the "welcome" platter of appetizers and oyo de lomo for 500 pesos, 125 pesos each. $42 USD each is a steal by New York or London standards but we're in Buenos Aires, land of the inexpensive meal.

I also felt ripped off when I ordered veggies and they gave me a small portion for 21 pesos. Everything else we ordered was in large enough portions to split but somehow veggies weren't.

Atmosphere perfectly pleasant but I'll take my local, no-name parilla anyday over this obvious tourist destination.

Favorite Dish: excellent house wine. Good little snacks while we waited for our table too.

• Cabaña Las Lilas: Expensive and memorable but not good!

by hunkbear Written Oct 11, 2007

We booked a table at Cabana Las Lilas last Saturday evening 6/10/07, when I arrived they could not locate my booking so gave us a table in the smoking area outside at the side. It was freezing and the standard of service was bored and boring.

We were presented with the menus and asked for 2 gin and tonics, the table was immediately swamped with bread, starter snacks water etc. We had no where to even put down the menus, let alone take in the atmosphere and the when the wine list arrived it’s a bible and a bit silly if you don’t have time to read it.

We ordered rare steaks and a good wine

The gin and tonics arrived with the wine and we insisted that the wine be left and so it was - no one served the wine at all or asked us to even taste it.

The main course arrived before we were finished our drinks or the starters. The meat was passable but not a patch on what we had in other places, cooked medium rare the mushrooms the Provencal chips were cold. I asked for mustard twice which arrived when I had finished my steak.

No one ever came to ask if we were happy or made us feel in any way welcome. We had deserts and left. What a disappointing night after 20 days in Argentina this was our final treat to visit the famous Cabana Las Lilas.

For the money I feel they have traded too long on their reputation and failed to meet the basic standards of food or service, which a restaurant of this calibre should achieve. I am so disappointed and sad that a once great name has become a conveyor belt experience more of a tourist attraction than a quality eating establishment

Shame on you Cabana Las Lilas – I won’t be recommending you to anyone! Far from it! – wake up or close down!

This was the most expensive meal we had in Argentina and was the most memorable but not for good reasons

• Cabaña Las Lilas: Horrible service and just mediocre food

by ali75 Written Jan 28, 2007

We traveled from the US and had heard great things about this place. Turns out it was one of the worst places we experienced for service during our entire South American vacation. Food was just okay and you get charged for a 'cover' plate which is just okay -12 US dollars for two people. Also, to sit outside you will get charged an extra 5 US dollars. You will have to 'beg' for someone to come to your table to give you more water, wine etc. The meals came cold and in the middle of eating our salad. Honestly, skip it. We complained to the manager and they were only half professional. Only thing nice about this place is the 'ambience' which is not that hard to find in Buenos Aires.

Not worth the hype.

• sabarish's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Great food

by sabarish Written Sep 26, 2006

This is where locals always bring out-of-towners to impress them. Widely considered the best parrilla in Buenos Aires, Cabaña las Lilas is always packed. The menu pays homage to Argentine beef, which comes from the restaurant's private estancia (ranch). The table "cover" -- which includes dried tomatoes, mozzarella, olives, peppers, and delicious garlic bread -- nicely whets the appetite, but don't forget that you're here to order steak. The best cuts are the rib-eye, baby beef, and thin skirt steak. Order sautéed vegetables, grilled onions, or Provençal-style fries separately. Chicken and fish are also part of the offerings, and vegetarians don't have to stay at home, since there is a large selection of very fresh and crisp salads. Service is hurried but professional, but you can still ask your waiter to match a fine Argentine wine with your meal. This enormous eatery offers indoor and outdoor seating, and in spite of its high price, it is casual and informal with patrons coming in everything from suits to shorts.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Yes I ate here....

by cjg1 Written Sep 5, 2006

Ok. The reviews I heard were accurate. This place is NOT worth the hype. Everyone told me this ahead of time and they were right. We used this again as a COW DO dinner for stragglers on Monday this year. I skipped out last year for a better meal with VTers and decided I should try it once.

Favorite Dish: I had the Medallion de Lomo. It was good. Nothing super fantastic though. The real gem of the menu is the smashed pumpkin. The rest is good but not great and CERTAINLY NOT worth the prices they charge in this place.

• Cabaña Las Lilas: Good, not great

by jcozma Written Jun 13, 2006

My wife and I stopped at Cabana Las Lilas for a late lunch on a Saturday (April 29, 2006). We had high expectations, based largely on the swooning reviews posted here and elsewhere. After having spent the prior week in Buenos Aires and environs, we were well acclimated to the pace of service and occasional linguistic hurdles (so we were not Type A, hyper-caffeinated, fresh-off-the-plane, I WANT SERVICE NOW!!, tourists). We found the service at Las Lilas to be quite leisurely, bordering on indifferent, which could potentially be due to the time of day. I can accept that. The steak, to put it mildly, was downright awful. Now, I have eaten at world-class steakhouses, as well as at more than a few local dive steakhouses in the US (and Argentina), but I've had few steaks as tough, or stringy as the ribeye that I choked down at Las Lilas. Maybe it was a bad day, maybe I expected too much, I don't know. I can tell you that I had a better steak, for less than half the price, at La Rienda Parilla, Paraguay 716, than what I had at Las Lilas. And, lest I forget, the steak knives were actually sharp at La Rienda, too. Nice touch!

Save your money and eat two great meals elsewhere in Buenos Aires for the same price - even picking a restaurant at random, you can't do that much worse.

• leosantanajr's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Best steak in town

by leosantanajr Updated Apr 4, 2011

Superb steak ….I can’t compare, but probably one of the bests in town…..if not in the whole world…

Favorite Dish: The baby beef is really great....
    We were in four and ordered only one dish for all.....It's enough!

Caba��a Las Lilas