Ras Om el Seid, Sharm El-Sheikh, South Sinai, Egypt

Iberotel Club Fanara & Residence
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• geordieontour's Profile Photo

Perfect for chilling out!!

We were there from 16th Feb to the 23rd Feb for a relaxed chilled out holiday, and that is what we got.
    Airport was a bit hit and miss, finding transfers was a laugh, no reps in the airport, and suitcases for 4 flights on one baggage belt was a bit of a bun fight, coming back, long queues for both scanning of cases and through customs, beware you need to fill in an exit visa card as well, so have a pen handy or ask for extra cards on the plane coming out,
    General room On arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by the desk manager with a drink and cool hand towels to refresh, who explained all the hotel and that we were the only English couple in today, we were booked for the garden section, but were told we were upgraded to the superior rooms facing the pools with the extra added, the good wife still thinks I had planned this, but did not, the room was as excepted , good size with walk in shower, fridge, coffee tea and kettle, safe (free) plenty of electric points, TV ( World news and 2 English movie channels.
    Beach. The Hotel is right on the beach so the location is superb, although it is a few steps down or a ramp., Basic sun beds no mattresses, beach bar only beer and soft drinks, Don’t pick the beds closest to the sea, because when you climb the hill for your lunch, the tide comes in quite quickly, and soon your belongings are a bit wet, (got some good video of and the attics of the people on return) Although the beach was very popular we mainly stayed around the pool.
    Food. The all-inclusive give you a great choice, but there was a few niggles, Breakfast was between 7:00am and 10:00amso the best time was before 8:00am if you require a relaxed meal. Hot food was mainly a choice of 2 egg dishes omelettes to your choice, or fried eggs, sausage was small beef sausage ( sorry no pork or Bacon ) assorted cold meats cheeses bread etc., and plenty of fruit. This was a great place to people watch and see the attics of other nationalities on how they eat, it is impossible for the food to run out as it is well stocked up but why take platefuls of everything and cover their tables only to leave it, and the amount of fruit that was disappearing out of the door was unbelievable,
    Again Lunch was an experience but you need to time it well, normally served outside around the pool, but at 12:30pm the masses arrive from the beach, and swarm in onto the serving areas, queuing 40 deep at times for the grill section, again fresh fruit disappears as fast as it is put out, best time is around 1:30pm when the crowd has returned to the beach, and it becomes more relaxed with no queues. There is an excellent choice to pick from so should not go hungry.
    Evening meal is in the main restaurant, and again you need to time your entrance it opens from 6:30pm to 9:00pm but we found 7:45 to 8:00pm was fine, and we were always given a table (see tipping)
    The other choice is to take a short walk up to the Italian restaurant at the top pool ,around 10 minutes’ walk from the main complex, which is so much more relaxed and quiet, no queuing, etc., yes it is a buffet service, the pastas you decide what you want from the many bowls and the chef cooks it for you, pizzas are well stocked up , but there is a lot of other choices, from duck, chicken , veg, soups and starters and sweets, opens 6:30pm to 9:00pm but is much more relaxed and you can sit outside around the closed pool area, plus a small indoor Bar attached. Of the two restaurants I preferred the Italian just for the relaxed atmosphere.
    Cliental It was not until the last day we found another English couple, from Maidenhead as it is made up of eastern European cliental and a lot of characters if you go into people watching. Not sure why the British are not booking here, as it is in a prime location, and offers all the facilities you require, the staff are the best I have ever saw in a hotel all hard working and make you welcome,

Unique Quality: Tipping Yes we tipped , and I am glad we did, it was not a great deal, but the service we got back was perfect for the holiday, The room cleaner we tipped roughly 10 or 20 LE pounds every other day total of 100LE pounds, it was worth it just for the towel designs each day, Restaurant staff again 10 to 20 Le pounds each day, they share the tips but as soon as you enter the restaurant , your table is found, and drinks are constantly brought to you, either breakfast, lunch or evening Meal.
    Mainly sat in the main bar perched on a stool, again found 30 to 50 LE at the start and again midweek found we were served straight away ahead of the queues that were forming from the bar staff, so total for tipping was 300LE pounds for the week (around £30-£33 depending on the rate.)
    And that was all we spent.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, who just wants to chill out, meet some wonderful staff, and do nothing for 7 days,
    PS Even on leaving the local rep, missed us and phoned the coach driver to speak to us, to wish us a safe Journey home, now I have never had that service from a TIU rep yet, just made the holiday complete. Are we going back, YES first chance!!

• melblue's Profile Photo

beautiful location

wonderful location! the beach is superb, the sandy floor of the sea brings you straight to the reef, it was like swimming in a aquarium, really beautiful. The rooms are spacious and clean, the staff excellent and the food delicious. It was a little crowded, july, but still plenty of sun chairs and seating. Great stay!

Unique Quality: the beach....fantastic!

• luckiday's Profile Photo

Iberotel Club Fanara and Fanara Residence

This is the second hotel I have stayed in in Sharm. I would say that it is a good 3 star hotel. We had a family suit which was quite small. 1 bedroom and reception where my daughter slept. There is only 1 chair to sit in if your child has the sofa bed. The hotel itself is pleasant enough with sauna,(massage with fee) gym, tennis courts, archery lessons, table tennis and pool/snooker and small child's play area. It is well situated for some good snorkeling. The beach although small is good for young children as the sea gently slopes, and is shallow for children to play. It would also be good for their or your first snorkeling experience.

Good points: Clean, well situated for snorkeling, and fairly good leisure facilities.

Bad points: Family suites are small, food is poor, although no sickness, all inclusive NOT, if you want certain drinks they are really expensive. A bailyes of the smallest measure was £6. Next to no night time entertainment.

Overall a pleasant enough hotel with just enough to offer, with great snorkeling, just a shame the food is not so good.

• julia687's Profile Photo

Fantastic hotel

I had a brilliant time & would highly recommend here to everyone. The staff were always very efficiant & friendly, they couldn't do enough for you - Mohamed the shisha man was very funny & full of stories.
    There were no problems with food while I was there, everything was well cooked & lovely! The Medina restaurant has quite a large buffet area & plenty of choice no matter how fussy you are - every night is themed ie British, Italian, Seafood etc. I always ate lunch at the temple pool bar & they had a great selection of salad & hot items.
    The pool area was very quiet in the day even with a few kids running around. I was there to relax but if you are more active there is the entertainment team who are always doing volleyball, water aerobics, archery etc & there is the beach with with snorkling & diving off it.
    I was in the villa's, some rooms do not have balconys but it wasn't a problem as I was never in there, it was clean & the bed was so comfortable! but perhaps would rate it as a good 3* more then 4. rest of hotel is 4*.
    I also paid a visit to the beauty salon which was extra but they are quite reasonable & their manicures & pedicures were fantastic.
    Fantasia is about 10 minutes walk away & they have a good choice of shops & a few places to eat & drink which we walked to a few times. They also do a dinner show which I didn't have time to see but looked great. For more shopping Nama bay is about 10 minutes by taxi & cost £2 to get there. I did visit old sharm but much prefer nama bay.
    I came here as a single traveller & made lots of friends and would definatly come alone again as they are very strict & the staff are not allowed to chat up the guests unlike in many other hotels in this part of the world! I can't wait to go back!

5*'s for customer service.

Unique Quality: The pool was heated, not to bath temperature but made swimming more pleasent!
    The sunsets are lovely here, they even serve a special sunset cocktail & have cake while you look out to see & watch it set!

More about Iberotel Club Fanara and Fanara Residence

Fabulous Fanara

by TripAdvisor Member mn3

As a first time to Egypt and having read other reviews I was a bit anxious about hotel.
I was disappointed at first by how tired our room was but it was exceptionally clean, as was the whole hotel. The place soon won me over when I explored the hotel.
Staff could not do enough for you and were brilliant.
We had a family room in the Residence even though there were only two of us and we had lots of space.

We spent everyday by the Residence pool which is hidden away and is never busy. On some days we were the only ones in the pool and had the pool bar to ourselves,

The Sangria Bar is a hidden gem right by the Residence Pool and Italian. We were often the only ones in there at night!

The staff are brilliant and work exceptionally hard to make your stay special. All of the bars and restaurants have lots of staff and you are never waiting for anything for more than a few moments.

If you don't mind the rooms being slightly faded I would recommend this hotel and given it's proximity to Naama Bay would be tempted to return.

Fanara

by Katakito

Was nice......before.....now the only advantage, that it is exactly in sharm......but.....go to the desert better :)))))))))))

Me and Tanya

April, 2004

Great snorkeling

by TripAdvisor Member caroeh

We stayed at the Fanara for 7 nights, during the 2nd week of January 2006. We had a great experience, overall. The hotel was very clean, and the staff were very friendly. Tips were helpful, particularly with roomkeepers, bar and restaurant staff (1 euro or 7 egyptian pounds was enough). Food quality was average, but definitively not good. Saying that, probably that's what you should be prepared to expect when you choose an all-inclusive. The hotel has 3 restaurants: "El Medina", "The Temple", "La Gazelle". The first one is the main and biggest restaurant, but we did not like it, because it was too crowded and the service in general was not great. The Temple was quite nice for lunch, as it is outdoors and next to the main pool. The Gazelle is a bit retired (about 5-10 min walk) from the main hotel area, but we thought the walk was worthwhile, as the food and service were considerably better than Medina.

Towards the end of our trip, we both felt a little bit of stomach discomfort, which lasted for about 3-4 days when we were already back in the U.K. So, I guess this confirmed our fear of food poisoning based on reviews we had read in Trip Advisor from people that visited Sharm.

Snorkeling at the Fanara was superb. There is no jetty, but you just need to swim off the beach for maybe 50 to 100 metres, and you will find outstanding coral reef and a great variety of fish. The main objective of our trip was diving, so the convenient location for snorkeling was just perfect for us.

Entertainment was not the best, but the staff tried really hard to do their best.

Overall, a good experience for a very reasonable price. You get good value for money if you go for this one.

11 Days - March 2006

by TripAdvisor Member jlondon

I have just returned, last week, from an 11-day trip to the Club Fanara Residence.

The hotel, I would say, is definitely more three star than four star.

The grounds are beautifully presented, very clean and colourful.

The actual accommodation though was very poor. I think this is possibly because I was a single traveller and as such it was probably thought that I didn't mind too much about the pokey little room, minus balcony, that I was allocated. Nonetheless, I did see another couple's accommodation which looked very comfortable, if not quite the same as the accommodation pictured in the brochure. Another couple I met paid extra to be moved into the accommodation that was featured in the brochure as, contrary to their (and most other people's) view, the pictured accommodation did not come as standard.

The staff, though, were very helpful and friendly.

The main bar was the most popular meeting point in the evenings. There were about three bar staff present most of the time, although there was only one bar person working at any one time, so if you wanted a drink sometimes you had to wait a while for service which was a little tedious at times.

Unfortunately, what let the whole holiday down was the food. The lunches were actually quite acceptable, I suspect because the dinners were so bad. The evening meals were mostly themed, Italian one night, British the next, Continental the next, and so forth. Unfortunately, the food consisted of the same main ingredients but "doctored" with a different sauce depending on which country they were supposed to represent. The "British" evening was very entertaining, we had chile con carne (well, it does include beef!!). The food was always cold or tepid and very repetitive.

On the the plus side, the weather was wonderful and I met some very nice people who made the holiday enjoyable. I would definitely not recommend this hotel to singles. I should also add that the British are in the minority at this hotel.

All in all, I should say this was a three star holiday at four star prices.

Staff uplifting

I have just returned from the Fanara and thought I would write a review as I have found others very helpful. I will start with the good things about the hotel of which there were many. The pool area and gardens were beautiful and spotlessly clean. Plenty of sun beds and beach towels are provided. I couldn't fault the staff and the service they provided. They were so friendly and helpul and I found it quite uplifting compared to England.
The beach isn't all that, quite gritty but the coral reef off the beach is fantastic!. I couldn't believe the different coloured fish we saw.The weather was about 28 but on some days is was a bit cloudy.
About 9.00pm there is a show put on in the Ampitheatre by the Entertainment team. We found this very amusing and was in a nice setting. However there wasn't a lot to do before that after you had dinner. The bar is quite small and the hotel could do with a large lounge area.
Security is top class at the hotel and I felt very safe . However when we ventured into Naama Bay we didn't like it as all the staff in the souvenir shops are extremely pushy and put you off.
The main draw back of the hotel is the food. Although there is quite a lot of choice it is repetitive and definitely could do with being hotter. The food is only kept warm in troughs of hot water. Unfortunately myself and all my family had 'Pharoah's Tummy' and I actually had to stay in bed for a whole day. My main suggestion would be to avoid the fish and warm rice.
Apart from this we had a lovely holiday, but we found that it was mainly a hotel based holiday and we only ventured out the complex once.
Also, be careful not to get conned into buying a visa at the airport. You will automatically get led to the visa desk and they will ask you for £13 per person. You do not need this if you are not travelling out of Sharm or the Sinai desert. Just refuse it.
One other thing I would suggest is to take only a small amount of Egyptian currency to begin with. Take english cash and change it at the hotel bank, you will get a much better rate.
I hope this has been helpful but if you have any questions please feel free to e mail me.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Curbroadshow

We had a two week stay at the Club Fanara in February 2006 and we cannot fault this hotel at all.
The hotel is in a superb location, situated on the cliff above one of the best diving/snorkelling sites in the world.
The pool area and gardens are superbly landscaped and spotlessly clean. They have an army of people cleaning all day long. The sunset views from the Temple bar overlooking the red sea are to die for.
The food is varied and interesting, but you have to bear in mind that the British are in the minority here, so you get a more international fare, more sauces and vegetable dishes than normally found in Spain for instance. So if your idea of a meal abroad is cheeseburger and chips in a 'Sky sports' bar, then this holiday is probably not for you. The 'La Gazelle' restaurant and bar are a little quieter, and the service and food slightly better than La Medina.
All the staff in the hotel were very friendly and could not do enough for you.
There is a large heated swimming pool attached to two smaller, unheated pools next to the temple bar, also a medium sized unheated pool next to La Gazelle restaurant, about a ten minute walk up the top of the complex.
But the star of the show is definately the snorkelling from the beach. A 30 metre swim out across the reef brings you to the coral shelf which has fantastic corals and a multitude of fish of all shapes, sizes and colours. It was here that I saw a Manta Ray on my first swim out. A word of warning, though, if you are not a strong swimmer be content with seeing the corals from the beach side, where many nice fish can be seen in waist high water. Despite warning signs on the beach, while I was out there I saw people standing on the corals to adjust their masks, people breaking off corals to take home. PLEASE RESPECT THE CORALS AND DO NOT TOUCH THEM FOR ANY REASON. This is a very fragile eco-system and the beauty of it must be preserved.
If you are not a particularly strong swimmer a good way to see the shelf is to go on one of the boats from Sharm Harbour, from the boat you can literally drop into the water and the guide will pull you along to the reef. They have a dinghy following in case any one gets into trouble. My 7-year old son came off the boat with us and had no problems.
Another trip we did was the desert jeep safari. this was a long trip (about 400 miles) over sand and rocks so be prepared for a little discomfort.
We also did the flight to Cairo through Thomson which was very well organised and the guide was very informative. The pyramids are a once in a lifetime experience.
So for me it was one of the best holidays I've had and I/we will be hoping to go again next year.
We had no problems with food poisoning, the food is very rich so a lot of the problems will be due to the different diet, we didn't speak to anyone with stomach problems.
I can deffinately recommend this hotel, but once again - PROTECT THE CORAL.
(If anyone wants any more info or pictures of the hotel, feel free to contact me at curbroadshow@aol.com)

great hotel but food what can you say

by TripAdvisor Member nakamura

hotel and facilities first classbut food lets it down staff are terrific i even heard general manager complain about cold food two people about us had upset stomaches

IBEROTEL CLUB FANARA

by lyndajane

Hi everyone
Has anybody stayed at the Iberotel Club Fanara?
We are going there in one weeks time and are interested in all the usual questions-evening entertainment,food,facilities etc. We would welcome any replies about this hotel, we will be all inclusive and hoping for good weather.
Many thanks
Lyn.

Re: IBEROTEL CLUB FANARA

by swisssinai

Generally speaking Iberotel offer a good product in all of their hotels. The location is not the best but the hotel is not bad and you should be OK there.

The weather ? Bring sun tan cream.

Re: IBEROTEL CLUB FANARA

by Elainef

not stayed here but stayed in one of their sister hotels in turkey, we were very impressed, food fab, entertainment for all, rooms lovely.

Re: Re: IBEROTEL CLUB FANARA

by lyndajane

Many thanks for your reply.
Have just returned from the Club Fanara, great hotel, brilliant weather. We will be returning to Sharm again next year.
Lyn.