La Perla Hotel

Um el Seed Clif, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt

Good For No Data
  • joredlady's Profile Photo

Value for money

Would recommend this hotel to the budget traveller for a cheap get away. Good location near shops, great friendly staff and good all round hospitality.

Unique Quality: Excellent staff, all very friendly and couldn't do enough for you to make you happy. Pool side waiter service thanks to Syed, was not included but we received it as soon as our glasses were empty. The pool boy Hossam was on hand all day to help at the pool side with fresh towels and cushions. Entertainment was not brilliant but did put on an Egyptian night/BBQ for 60 le (egyptian pound) about £6 english which was nice, and a fire and glass show. The hotel is making a big effort to re-vamp the place including building another bar which was opened for us whilst we were there, and re- decoration of the hotel is under way. Although the food was not to our liking it was edible with salads, rice, chicken or beef and omlettes and pancakes for breakfast, put it this way you can eat out for much less than you think here good value for money in the restuarants. The rooms are very clean and new towels and linen daily, with the added touch of some very interesting sculptures made out of towels on the beds which was great fun. For a budget break it was more than we asked for.

Directions: 500 metres from the beach, although the public beach is 25 le in a cab (£2.50 english), with good facilities and places to eat.

• Friendly Staff

Last minute deal in 2002. Situated in the Naama Bay area.This hotel is very friendly, the staff even take the trouble on their days off to show you around the town. Hotel is very comfortable with 2 pools overlooked by 3 floors. Food in the hotel was very nice with snack bar terrace also by the pool.Hotel was fairly close to amenities but a short taxi ride is needed if you are looking for the main nightlife, which is surprisingly very good.

Unique Quality: Classic Egyptian desert views.

More about La Perla Hotel

Very restful sun holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Sunworshipper63

Good staff and always willing to help with very clean rooms although a little tired. Food good with a variey each day. Those that moan need to question why they are there possibly wanting a cheap deal with the Hilton hint.

The pool staff are great but the pool was freezing. The bar man is excellent and very witty. The hotel is well situated next to a good diving centre and near the new shopping centre and bars. I would go again as it was good value for money it is a pity I doubted it from the reviews I read before.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member nick-e-boy

We just spent a week in La Perla and were a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews however our fears were dispelled pretty quickly.

We had a great week here and if we were to come back to Sharm we would definitely come back to this hotel.

The staff are all friendly and service was always with a smile. The staff are more than willing to help you in any matter.

We booked an all-inclusive holiday which was pretty cheap however if you follow the adage that you pay for what you get I guess we got more than we paid for or expected.

The food was great and if you go on holiday expecting to eat local cuisine I think you can't go wrong, although the hotel did have other things to eat other than local fare such as omelettes and pancakes for breakfast and pasta for lunch and dinner albeit a small selection.

The rooms are not extravagant but have all the basic amenities and if you don't have something you need, the reception will do their best to help you out. Room service is inexpensive should you decide to eat in.

The hotel was perfect as a base for us to come back to after day activities and if requested the staff would provide us pack lunches to take with us on excursions.

There are a few shops on the premises that are over inflated on prices however the souvenir shop and the owner is fantastic. A guy called Lido who is always ready to chat and will give you a great deal on anything he sells without entering the age old custom of bartering for hours just to buy one item.

Although the hotel isn't exceptional, we had a fantastic stay and ate well everyday. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that is open minded and ready to accept local custom and culture. If you like your egg and chips, you will probably be frustrated by not being served bland food and having to eat rice every day(which does vary every day... saffron, aubhergines, courgettes the rice is very varied).

Rooms: OK, not the best
Pool: OK
Location: Great, near the beach and shuttle bus run by hotel to the beach.
Facilites: Gym, and I think spa and beauty salon thing (don't quote me on this I never went, although I had a great poolside massage)
Food: Excellent
Staff: Brilliant, make sure you tip them well if you end up staying and enjoying yourself here. They speak great english and italian and throughout sharm you will find french, german and russian speakers (it blew my mind that they can switch languages so much)

great place

by TripAdvisor Member trentlover

just back from a great 10days stay at this hotel,the staff very helpfull and friendly.room was very clean with maid servis evrey day with clean towels everey day,the food was very nice and varied,

Average but good for a cheapy holiday!!

by TripAdvisor Member poledancerwanabee

There was nothing really wrong with the hotel but felt it was more geared up for the russians. The food was only ok and filled a hole I didn't think there was much of a variety, the thing that really annoyed me was their idea of tea it wasn't made with tea bags but leaves but not strained so you'd pour a cup and there would be tea leaves foating on the top-yuck!!

My room was a decent size but quite basic. There wasn't much entertainment in the evenings normally some one playing the same CD over and over so if your young or a young couple you'd definitely have to go to Narma bay otherwise you'd end up being bored stiff!!

The other thing that did slightly annoy me was the so called all inclusive-it was only till 10pm so if you wanted a few drinks you had to start early plus if you wanted a cappacino or a proper cup of tea with a tea bag you had to pay even if it was before 10pm also the staff behind the bar in the evenings were getting quite funny when I would order 3-4 alcoholic drinks at a time and on more than one occasion a member of staff would bring them over to where I was sitting with a few people I'd made friends with.

All I'd say is its great for a cheapy holiday thats about it so if you want to stay some where nice and is a proper all inclusive then don't go to La Perla!!!!

Cheap and charming!

by TripAdvisor Member Melville28

La Perla is a cheap hotel with really friendly staff, clean rooms and a nice pool.

The rooms aren't lavishly decorated, but all the furniture and fixtures were in good condition and the room was cleaned daily to a high standard. The bathroom is quite basic but nice- no insects, dirt, broken tiles... In good condition.

The two pools- one is small and usually quiet and the other is large and quite deep- it is hard to get sunbeds but if the large pool has none available, do try the small pool, there's usually some free.

Didn't stay all inclusive but loved the arabic breakfast- selection of breads, cakes and hot food. We bought a few meals from the hotel restaurant/pool bar which were quite limited in choice but really cheap and big portions; not gourmet or anything but tasty. Spoke to someone who did all inclusive and said they got bored of the same things over and over again, so I recommend going half board or bed and breakfast and then eating out, because eating out can be very cheap too.

Staff are really friendly- genuinely nice people. If you tip your cleaner 10 LE every couple of days, they'll spend a bit longer cleaning your room (if you're paranoid about that). Late check out is arrangeable at 10 pounds per person til 6 pm, 15 per person til 9 pm and after that you need to pay for an extra night. If you want to mooch around the hotel after check out, this is fine but all inclusive deals finish as you check out.

Entertainment isn't really a main factor but they have a few shows- Nubian dancers and exotic dancers etc. There was an offer on to see the Nubian dancers show and have a special meal for 100 LE per person- I recommend this. You get three courses- the main course is quite special because they give you your own portable barbeque thing but the choice is a little limited.

Overall- I paid £5.50 per person per night to stay in this hotel and I definitiely feel I got my money's worth! Don't go expecting the Hilton, but definitely don't listen to the bad reviews- when people have something bad to say, thats when they are more inclined to write a review. After reading the abundance of negative reviews about this hotel, I was a little worried but really it is a nice hotel and you will have a great time I'm sure.

its gives fawlty towers a fine reputation

by TripAdvisor Member bottsy

been reading the revues for the la perla, firstly ive been goin to sharm since 1999.back then there was nothing between a very conservative naarma bay an the airport or old sharm, its changed alot ,which makes me wonder when it was build,its extremly dated (70s)already my tv had tape holding it together ,i had to use my spare batteries for the remote, whigh was pointless as the ariel was bust. the food is naff, even by local standards, no wine with meal, as has been stated, the bar staff dont like yer drinkin till ten (the smug one with the glasses), woulnt serve me at ten cus id had a drink at ten to0! id been drinkin coffee at the nearby starbucks all night, just to get out of the place. the pool bar waiter was being sacked whilst i was there for being over freindly to a german girl, she was teaching him to write, i was there watching,then again he was smiling so desevered his fate. top tip , unless its a late deal go bb in or close by naarma bay ,theres too much choice to go wrong and its cheaper than it was to eat and drink nearly ten years ago....

Worst holiday ever

by TripAdvisor Member 1denden1

What can we say. We booked this hotel because it was small only 106 rooms what a mistake we made . Wish we had booked 5 star instead . This was our 1st experience of sharm el sheikh and we really feel let down. The hotel needs pulling down and rebuilding. we had no hot water for 4 days, it took maintenance 2 attempts to get it right. when we did get hot water it just ran down the wall as the head of the shower was too heavy. ok if you were a beetle on the wall.
The rooms were cleaned daily, bedding and towels changed daily. The cleaners did the best they could with what materials they were supplied with.
Dvd the pool barman was great, always being told off by the boss in front of everyone (which was wrong).
Meals were crap. All inclusive this hotel is not (all inclusive from 10.00am - 10.00pm on the DOT. Food on offer was rubbish, ok if your were a russian, polish or czech as they were the only ones eating the food. This hotel does not cater for British holiday makers at all.
The pool area was filthy we only saw it swept down twice while we were there for 2 weeks. We never saw any cleaning products for the water in the pool .
The Private beach was rubbish. Courtesy bus took you to beach, thats if you could get on before the russians, poles and czechs, as they were pushing you out of the way even when you were 1st in the queue, so they could be 1st on and off.

The bar/cafe on the beach was not ALL INCLUSIVE if you wanted anything you had to buy it. Most of the beds were broken so when you got there you had nowhere to lie or sit.

On our last night there 24th Sept 2008 the boss made the barman put all the spirits on optics (disgusting)

Would not recommend to my worst enemy.

And will not be going back to this hotel.

Don't go there

by TripAdvisor Member katipswich

We went to this hotel as the first one we were booked in to was bad. La Peral was a little better but not much. I agree with the review about DVDhe was great and so were the rest of the staff, cleners were great always happy and doing there best with what cleaning stuff they had. Whilst we were there the manager of the cleners got one of them to clean the lobby windows standing on a ledge of about 9inch's wide ok but it was about 15feet off the ground and all he could do was find fault.

I also agree about the resturant manager was always watching and did not like it if waiters chatted to guest'. The food was terriable did not class it as all inclusive. No entertaiment at all. I got told off by the resturant manager for wnting to fill my bottle with water to take by the pool he said i had to keep getting cups of water when i needed it. Not a nice holiday. All i can say is the sun was great the staff were too. On my last day at breakfast the owner came in to eat looked at it then put his plate back staff went and got him more food from the kitchen so what does that say when the owner wont even eat the food. So if you go for a holiday dont stay here. It spoilt our holiday. Nearly every one we spoke to felt the same.

La Perla or La Perlious!

by TripAdvisor Member Saskia01

La Perla - what a mistake to make. We have been to Sharm before and had a brilliant 4 star hotel and have stayed in various 2/3/4 star hotels all over the world without any complaints. So please do not think that this review is from two picky people.
The hotel is old and in desperate need of refurbishment. Management need to re-assess their strategy as they seem to be running a regime here - with a 'quality control man' watching every move barmen/waiters make, eg making sure a bottle of beer lasts three people. One barman was sacked and physically removed from the premises for not following these guidelines. Food was also monitored closely, no problem with potatoes, rice etc but meat, chicken and fish were given to you and this meant one piece only. If however you were Egyptian you did not have to que and you were given large portions and specially made fresh food.
The only entertainment in 10 nights was on Christmas Eve which you had to pay for and New Years Eve. There is one main lobby bar which does not even have a radio playing and one pool bar which occasionally has music during parts of the day only. There is an outside bar which consists of 4 stools, open at night only and you have to pay for at all times and a Bedouin tent which you have to pay for also. Drinks are served in plastic cups which during the day around the pool is fine but in the evening when your having a glass of wine the last thing you want is it to be in a white plastic cup (the ones you get at water coolers). The hotel ran out of white wine on more than one occasion, beer on another occasion and milk on another.
Our room was basic but large and cleaned daily, bedding and towels changed regularly. Bathroom was large but the heater on the wall looked treacherous with rust over the wiring and disintegrating over the floor. We were on the third floor which meant that the shower only trickled. All the plug sockets were worn out so you had to try and wedge stuff against plugs so that you could use them – lots of sparking going on!!
I agree that the pool area is filthy; I never saw a brush near the areas, ashtrays were never washed and the few tables never wiped. At the pool bar I counted a total of 5 tables and 9 chairs. The actual pools were cleaned twice in 10 days, without any detergents/chloride.
The hotel beach was rubbish and not free you still had to pay for beds which were mostly broken and you had to pay for everything on the beach, also no toilet facilities.
We are not fussy eaters and do like to try everything wherever we go and therefore found the quality of food in general to be ok but very limited in choice – one meat and one chicken or fish dish. Breakfast was I agree very poor – broccoli from the night before being served one morning!! Salads and vegetable dishes were in my opinion served up the next day if they weren’t used. If you wanted to have a glass of wine or beer with your meal you had to go upstairs to the main bar.
In summary the management have had your money so really they don’t care/want you to stay in their hotel and drink the drink and eat the food. By making everything so unwelcoming they are encouraging you to go out and not drink or eat their food.
We went to La Perla for Christmas and New Year and believe you me it definitely ruined our time in Sharm. Unfortunately we heard so many people saying they would never go back to Egypt because of their experience at La Perla which is such a shame because there are so many lovely hotels out there where you could have a great time.

DIVING AND THINGS TO DO

by STORM1N

Well off on the hols staying at la perla sharm,monday just need some idea how much to go diving,thats a family of four and the other trps,also the not to do list
cheers