Istana Hotel

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

73 Jalan Raja Chulan, Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, 50200, Malaysia

Agoda.com Asiatravel.com Orbitz.com

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Addition to previous post

To be fair about crumbling infrastructure, I was walking around KL and the whole city is in poor shape. Broken tiles and cement everywhere.

Club room / Club room suite is a good deal
    They serve eggs/sausage/hash browns and omelets for breakfast in the lounge.
    The hotel has lots of security cameras.
    Some past reviews say the hotel workers are rude or inattentive. Everyone asks me if there is anything I need.

I never did eat at the hotel restaurant. I thought it was overpriced and there are lots of authentic Thai/Chinese/Malaysian local restaurants everywhere.
    There is a small Thai restaurant across the street, next to the monorail. Paradize Poolside Restaurant. Reasonable price and delicious.

Because of the location, the room was really clean and quiet, and everything went well - I would stay here again if I come back to KL.

• The hotel is a little tired around the edges

Overall, I'm happy. I have only been here 3 nights out of the 5 booked. I have a Club Suite that included free lounge food. Not sure if I would call it a 3 star hotel.
    I booked over a month early and they had a special $122/night for a Club Suite.
    Everywhere you look there are broken/missing floor tiles. The smell of Jasmine? and Ylang Ylang is overpowering in the lobby area.
    The lounge had the same smell. I thought the food in the lounge in the evening was ok. Appetizers, but not enough for a meal.
    I thought the food in the lounge in the morning was really good. More than a Continental breakfast.
    They are overhauling 1 elevator at a time. At least they're doing some real maintenance where it counts.
    I did not eat at the restaurant yet. I walked through tonight before they opened for dinner. Everything looked delicious. It was still 1/2 hour before opening so I ate at the lounge for free instead .
    The fitness center was clean and all the machines worked. The shower area in the locker room had mold on the walls. I brought flip-flops so I didn't have to walk on the floor.

The 2 most negative things.
    I wanted to take a bath in my room. When I turned on the hot water all the way, lots of brown stuff came out and the water was yellow. I let it run for a few minutes. If you have the water on low, no stuff and the water was almost clear.
    I wanted to use the steam room in the fitness center and it smelled like dirty feet. My lungs didn't like it. The dry sauna was excellent.

Overall Value - acceptable.
    This would be a great business hotel.

Best things - Location. Right next to a monorail station. Raja Chulan
    The room was clean. The bed was comfortable. Everyone is friendly.

• yoolya's Profile Photo

Disappointing Hotel

We booked to stay 3 nights at this 5 star hotel, in an executive room. Having been to KL 5 times previously, we had seen this hotel many times, and were just amazed by it. It's looks like nothing you have ever seen before, specatular! And when you walk in the entrance, the hotel just oozes class. Not modern class, but desinger classiness (think along the lines of Palazzo Versace, or Shangri-La). And even by looking at the photos on their website, the place looks amazing. Then we went up to our room..........

The room was more along the lines of 3.5 to 4 star. Very basic, and in urgent need of a refurb. Just very old, and musty spelling. The toilet was stained, and the shower was dirty (we had to call housekeeping to come and reclean the bathroom). And after having a shower straight away (we had just come off a 14 hour flight, and were in desperate need of a shower), the bathroom was flooded. The bath towel put down for our feet, was drenched. The entire bathroom was flooded. We had to call housekeeping to come and fix the shower,bathroom, but after waiting half an hour for them, we gave up and decided to get out of the room. When we came back, we had to call for service again, and when they finally came, all they did was fix the seal on the shower, and just old us to use our bathroom towels to soak up the water, and call housekeeping for new towels. What?? Certainly NOT 5 star service. Could they not do their jobs and clean the floor? Could THEY not call housekeeping for new towels for us?!

We woke up the next morning and went to the executive lounge for breakfast. 4 of us ordered eggs, and only 2 came out initially, 5 minutes later the other order came out, and a further 10 minutes later (after complaining), the final order came out. The coffee was terrible, and the range/assortment of food on offer was minimal. Needless to say, we did not enjoy breakfast.

Having paid an EXTRA $100 per night for the executive lounge access, we later discovered this was a total waste of money. We were not allowed to get our own drinks, yet there was never anyone there to get drinks for us. On one night, approx 9pm, we asked for a glass of coke, and were told that there was no service after 9pm. The guy was working, there was no one else in the loung except us, he had nothing else to do, and nowhere did it mention that service finished at 9pm.... yet he still refused to get us a drink. TERRIBLE service.

The next morning we decided that after the poor breakfast service in the executive lounge, we would bare the crowds and try downstairs in the buffet with the rest of the guests. We were seated (after waiting 5 minutes), and got up to get food, but when we got back to our table, someone else had decided to walk up and sit there. We informed them that it was out table, and we had been sitting there, but the other guests refused to leave (since there were not other available tables). We then proceeded to inform the staff of what had happened, and were told that we would have to wait until another tables become available. So even though WE had to wait for a table already, and even though all 4 of us were standing there with full plates of food, and glasses of juice, waiting to eat...... we had to stand around waiting for another table. Disgusting service!!

Unique Quality: We got back to the hotel approx. 9pm that night, and all the restaurants, bars were closed already. We were told the lobby bar was open and serving food, so decided to sit and have a beer. The menu was given to us, but consisted of basic snacks. We were not happy, so went back out again.

Again the next morning, we had to wait for a table at breakfast. Our friends were running late, and when they finally made it down to breakfast at 9:55am, 5 minutes BEFORE breakfast was due to finish, most of the food was already put away. They pointed at the time, and asked that since there were still 5 minute left of breakfast, if they could simply have some scrambled eggs made up, but they were refused. We then proceeded back up the executive lounge, and demanded breakfast.

Upon check out (as per check in), I presented my frequent flyer card for swiping, to collect my airline points. It has now been 5.5 months since we returned from holiday, and even though I had contacted the hotel 4 times, my points have STILL not been credited.

All in all, I was pretty disappointed with almost evey part of the hotel. The room was terrible, the food was average, and the service was appauling.

The location is ok, easy walking distance to Bukit Bintang, and a 7 Eleven, McDonalds, markets, etc...... that's about all the hotel has going for it.

Needless to say that I will never stay at this hotel again.

• yatingchen's Profile Photo

Islam Style Hotel

5 stars. Hotel Istana is appointed Hotel by Malay King. International conferences are usually held there.

The Islam hotel is white, clean, big, pretty, graceful and convenient. One side faces twin towers and the other side busy streets. Besides it, its location is nice and one can take MRT easily to Bukit Bitang.

• liveactlife's Profile Photo

Buffet Lovers' Heaven

the accomodations and facilities are as what you would expect in a 5 star hotel
    the plus point would be its location as it is near to Bukit Bintang Golden TRiangle,
    for shopaholics and clubbers alike.

it's also a 3 mins walk to Monorail stn. in fact, it's right on the doorstep..

Unique Quality: the best thing here is the food. as far as KL hotels are concerned, here is the best food for
    the buffet lovers...

• cokes's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel , Great Locoation

When I 1st arrived here at Istana I had to wait for ages to get a room. Never the less I waited as the reception area is very beautiful. When I 1st stepped foot in this place I thought that this was a hotel for the rich until I got to the hotel room which I though was a bit dissappointing but never the less I enjoyed staying there.

The room was nice and big and spacious and the bathroom was big as well. The reason why I said I was dissapointed when I got to the room was that you true`ly mislead by the marvellous entrance with the beautiful chandelears...the hall way was dull and the carpets had old cigarette burn marks and stuff on them. I really enjoyed breakfast here , they had a nice variety and the food was really good. Never the less if I had a choice of coming back , I will. This Hotel truely has got great potention for being a great hotel.

Unique Quality: This hotel is in a great location. Its in walking distance to KLCC and KL Tower and there is lot of nice shopping malls around here and alot of nice restaurants. Its also opposite the Monorail. There is also a nice Japanesse restaurant and a nice ballroom area.

Directions: Bukit Bintang Area. Its on the corner of JL Bukit Bintang and JL Ismail Salatan.

Best to check asia rooms for bookings and location.

• Tayto's Profile Photo

Good loaction could do with a make-over

we stayed for 3 nights in the hotel and though it is in a good location and has a nice entrance area the rooms have probably seen better days. The general decor is grey and not appealing and the bathrooms are a little tired with black marks on the grouting between the tiles or on the sealant. The carpets had a lot of stains and some had cigarette burns. I am sure the place is cleaned every day but these factors made the room feel a bit dirty. This is classed as a good 4* but it is really only a 3-4* in my opinion. However, the rooms are of a good size and it is a pity that they are not redecorated as it could easily be up to a 5* level.

Breakfast is buffet style and is good with a wide choice of food to suit a range of cultural tastes. The facilites in the hotel are good in particular the pool area is nice. Here again the hotel lets itself down a little in that the sun beds are old and many of them are missing some of the support straps etc. This could be easily rectified with investment in new ones.

The hotel staff are not as friendly as other hotels we visited in Malaysia. They also did the trick of pretending to understand what you were looking for but then nothing happened. A small example, there was supposed to be a safety deposit in the room. There wasn't and I requested one by phone and was told I would get one shortly. About 5 phone calls later follwed by a visit to reception ended up in having to change rooms to get one. The room they gave us then was a good bit smaller than the one we had paid for originally but I hadn't the energy to start into that conversation ! The other annoying fact was that every time I went to cash Euro traveler cheques I could only get a max of a about €50 in RInggits they always seemed to be low on cash, about to get a delivery...ok I was probably unlucky but it was annoying for a large hotel.

Unique Quality: Ok I know that I am being picky with the points above and of course I do appreciate that i am lucky to be even able to stay at this type of hotel however if you are paying for a 4/5* hotel you will probably get better in KL. What I am pointing out is the difference between this being an ok hotel and it being a great hotel.

The positives:
    Entrance Lobby is plush and gives a great sense of space.
    The buffet style breakfast has an exellent range
    The pool is good
    Good location - in financial district near Lot 10 shopping centre, Monorail etc.
    Nightly entertainment in the Lobby bar was good
    The gym fitness centre was well equipped

• bali_junkie's Profile Photo

Hotel Istana

It is (supposed to be) a five star hotel in the city center, within walking distant to my favorite place "Beach Club" to hang out everytime I fly down there. However, the room and everything else they charge there I find rather expensive, considering the hotel is a bit old - compared to other newest hotels in the area that offer far better rates.

Unique Quality: Although it is quite strategic, about 10 minute walk to Lot 10 and rows of shopping malls. The hotel has the best "Nasi Lemak". Deluxe room is extremely spacious, with bathroom almost as large as the bedroom!

• Blondiina's Profile Photo

business class hotel

This hotel was good value for the price we paid. Rooms were big and modern, but there was this weird damp smell everywhere exept the lobby. Not so bad but still. The lobby was really grandiose and a bit more better than the rest of the hotel. Pool area was really beautiful and relaxing.

Breakfast was excellent. There was absolutely everything on offer and plenty of it.
    We had a little mix up when getting our room, so they upgraded us to a club floor room.

Service was as good as you'd expect from 4-5 star hotel.

• Hotel in Kuala Lumpur

The hotel is quite old and you can see it. You can even say that the place is quite dusty.

Really not up to the 5 stars standard they are claiming to have. Prices are really too high for this kind of service.

Avoid

Directions: really centrally located in the business district

• Avoid this hotel....

I first stayed at the Hotel Istana 5 years ago. Then it was a beautiful hotel, elegant and sumptuous with staff who were very friendly and who genuinely gave the impression they were there to make your stay as comfortable as possible!
    Last year I returned..... big mistake. Firstly (my fault) it was Ramadan and two thirds of the pool terrace was covered with a huge marquee for Ramadan feasting after dark. The hotel is now shabby and frankly unkempt. And I think there must have been a complete change of staff! They were on the whole unhelpful, bordering on downright ruse in some cases. thanks to an ignorant reception staff member who ordered our airport transport late, we almost mised our flight to Penang!
    Better still, avoid KL altogether! Malaysia is a beautiful country with some beautiful and genuinely hospitable people, KL is the exception!

Unique Quality: The only thing in this hotel's favour is its location in the Golden Triangle.

• Hotel Istana. A great hotel....

Hotel Istana. A great hotel. The staff is extreamly friendly and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. There is not task to small or to big for them.
    WOW... you need an expence acount to stay there. It is chargeing you an arm and a leg but well worth it. If you only see Indonesia once do it in style

Unique Quality: It has everything you need in a hotel. I enjoyed the serveces of the Business Center quite a few times and they are very helpful

More about Istana Hotel

Hotel Istana by nightHotel Istana by night

Petronas Twin Tower from Hotel IstanaPetronas Twin Tower from Hotel Istana

by esterlla

Hi,

I am planning to book Hotel Istana for holiday. Is it accessible to LRT? How about nightlife and food? Is it near to Jalan sultan ismail? I stayed at equatorial the other time.

I am also looking at Hotel Capitol, Dorsett Regency and Park Royal.

Would appreciate any advice.

Re: Hotel Istana

by dragontml

yes, hotel istana is near to 2 monorail stn - jalan raja chulan and bukit bintang station. if u want to connect to the PUTRA LRT, there are several options, first u can take the local bus RM0.70 to Kota Raya / Central Market and then walk to the nearest stn which would be Pasar Seni.
the other option is to take the KL MONORAIL to KL SENTRAL and from there, u have to cross the road to go KL SENTRAL building - which then u can take the PUTRA LRT.

if u're looking for nitelife, head to bukit bintang, bintang walk - not too far to walk from hotel istana. KLCC is not too far away too.

hotel capitol, if not wrong, it's along jalan bukit bintang and it's also withing walking distance from hotel istana.

jalan p.ramlee is the nite club / party area.

enjoy KL !

Re: Re: Hotel Istana

by Audrey118

to geton lrt - i think you cld take the monorail and get off at Bukit Nanas and then get to the dangwangi LRT station. a bit of walking though in the heat!!!! but like dragon said - getting on the bus - in front of Wisma Boustead - near the traffic lights (across from Wisma Lim Foo Yong ) you can jump on buses going to Kotaraya direction and then jump on the LRT train either at Pasar Seni or at Masjid Jamek.

Istana Hotel is not too far from Equatorial Hotel. If you walk towards Lot 10 Bukit Bintang area, you will first pass Mutiara (former KL Hilton on left and then on right will be Istana Hotel). The Japanese rest at Istana has value set lunch meals. Hotel Capitol is back of Federal Hotel along J Bukit Bintang, Dorsett is closer to J Imbi, across from Ritz, and about 10 mins walk to Lot 10 area and Park Royal is most convenient to monorail.

J P Ramlee very close to KLCC, equatorial is clubbing area, but closer to Istana towards J Alor has lots of new trendy restaurants, and further near to J Bkt Bintang has lots of street food

Comments