Theft & Pickpocketing, Kuala Lumpur

Know about this?

Chest stabbed 6 inches below shoulder.
    by DaveRamsay
  • Theft & Pickpocketing
    by gerald.bishop
  • Theft & Pickpocketing
    by gerald.bishop
  • Robbed and beat up next to populated bar area

by estberg Updated Oct 15, 2013

I recently moved into the Angkasa Impian 2 Condominium which is located at the street just behind Changkat in Bukit Bintang, a popular bar area I thought up until now to be safe due to the frequency of people. But last Sunday (Oct 13), as I was walking back to my condo after a night out I was assaulted and robbed by two unknown assailants. I was a bit drunk and texting while walking, so figure I was an easy target (and something I will remember not to do from here on). I just finished texting a friend of mine when suddenly I notice someone running up silently behind me, a second later I get hit in the back of my head. From what I can remember, one of the guys grab me while the other guy continuously punch me in the head and face, resulting in a fractured nose and blood pouring from all over my head, which made me really scared. I get tackled to the ground and the guy who grabbed me holds up something next to me. Not sure if it was a weapon but it didn't look like it, it actually more resembled a bag of drugs. He tells me something in Malay which I don't understand, I just tell them to take whatever they want. They grab my wallet and phone and run off. Unfortunately at this time my head is just spinning and I can't remember how they look or if they used a vehicle. I just try to get as fast as I can to the entrance to alarm the guards. Odd as it seems, they didn't notice anything and yet this all happened less than 10 metres away... So much for security.

A word of warning to tourists and expats visiting the area, Changkat can be a very dangerous area if you're not paying attention. If you've been out drinking, rather take that overpriced taxi than walk home alone.

• Hunting knives and machetes

by gerald.bishop Updated Oct 13, 2013

Date of incident - 3rd October 2008 ~2am
    Location - Sri Hartamas, just outside Lava pub

I was out with a group of friends at Orange pub (now Lava) for a mate's birthday. It was a public holiday so nothing was open accept this pub, it seemed. Around 2am, a friend and I walked up the road to the 711 to buy some cigarettes. On the walk back to the bar, just as we were getting to the corner, I see 3 guys crossing the road coming towards us. We must have looked like easy targets; 2 drunk 17 year olds with not a person in sight.

My friend was walking in front of me and it looked like one of the 3 guys bumped into him and started talking. I caught up and asked what was going on. The 3 guys (2 Malay and 1 big Chinese guy) proceeded to insist that we had been dancing with their girlfriends and that we should go with them to talk. I took my phone from my pocket, sensing something might kick off, and one of the guys asked to use it. Instantly I said no and quickly put it back in my pocket, by which time there was a large hunting knife pointed at my belly. From the corner of my eye I saw the large Chinese guy holding something black (now I know it was a machete in a case) and I see my friend running away. The Chinese guy had taken a swing at my friend and grazed his face with the cased machete.

The man who now had me at knife-point told me to not scream and to walk with him. By now I am completely surrounded by these 3 guys, walking me behind the building where the bank is, where it's very dark. I had both my hands up trying to assess the situation. The guy with the hunting knife told me to hive him my wallet and phone. If you asked me now why I did it, I wouldn't know what to say.. but I refused, and I took action. I reached down and grabbed the man's knife hand and twisting it, right before delivering a blow to his face, sending him straight down to the ground. I saw red! I was out for blood. I went down with him quickly, both of us fighting for the knife. I was on top of him beating down on his face until he was completely limp and his face battered and bloody. I probably gave him about a dozen blows to the face.

At the time, I was filled with adrenaline, which meant I didn't understand how much damage I was taking! While I was on top of this guy, the Chinese man with the machete was slashing my back. At the time it didn't feel like a machete, I thought maybe it was just a stick. After disarming the one guy, I picked up his knife and turned to face the other man attacking me. The whole time the 3rd man seemed to just watch, a new guy to the gang I assume. I started backing away from them, went into the light back towards the pub. Perfectly timed too late, I'm now surrounded by all my friends who have come to the rescue. Should we have taken more action to seek justice? Maybe, but my friends could see how badly I was injured, and they just shouted run! So I did - I turned and we all ran back to the safety of the pub.

I called my dad to come pick me up, who then rushed me to the hospital where I received 40 stitches in my back. From there I went straight to the police station to make a report. They listened, I made a report, and then that was it! I didn't expect any justice really, I'd lived in KL long enough to know the cops aren't much help. The only peace of mind they offered was that the other gang members either kicked them from the gang or beat them up some more.. yea thanks for nothing!

This kind of crime is only going to happen if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sri Hartamas is usually very busy, but on this night there was no one around! Don't go ANYWHERE by yourself. You're asking for trouble then. These crooks carry weapons and aren't afraid to use them. At the time I felt genuinely threatened and I acted on my instinct, I don't regret what I did but equally I'd never advise anyone else to do the same. I got lucky and I know it.

• Study Abroad

• DaveRamsay's Profile Photo

Stabbed THEN Mugged in KL

by DaveRamsay Updated Oct 6, 2013

Chest stabbed 6 inches below shoulder.

On Saturday (5th Oct 2013) we were mugged very near the Hard Rock Cafe. The mode of this mugging was to pull on a bag and when I turned round I was stabbed in the chest with a knife, while turning. This is a stab first rob later mode of attack. At first I thought I had been punched, my friend held onto her bag and I started to assist only to be slashed with the knife across my right arm - that was when I saw blood spraying out my chest I told her to let the bag go as her head/kneck was closest to the knife. The robber fled with the bag. I think we were marked and then surrounded as some of the "local concerned helpers" were actually trying to pull me clear.

I press 80kgs twice a week so my chest muscles reduced the penetration of the blade and it did not pass the rib cage. I think a slimmer person may have suffered a lung puncture and IF on the heart side of the chest a fatal wound.

It took 30 mins to get to a hospital (City Hospital - very happy with the medics there top job). I was lucky to be able to stand in the road to stop a taxi - several passed after seeing blood - and eventually after being rejected at a private hospital I got mediacal attention.

Of note:

No police anywhere in an iffy area (I think they get a cut to stay away), security at the local venues did nothing....
    Very hard to get support people in street or taxis.
    This attack valued life at $1000 it was stab to kill first then grab.
    The tourist police did not ask ANYTHING about the perpetrator of this crime - all they did was produce a report for an insurance claim.... They have no intention of pursuing criminals, no interest.
    As with other posts the tourist police office was a conveyor belt of victims coming in. Of note was a Korean couple who had just been robbed outside the police station 100 meters away, the 6 officers sipping tea seemd not to notice anything worthy of their attention. An NYC man came in 10 minutes later having had his gold chain snatched from his neck - he said he lived in NYC 32 years and this was his first every mugging.

I genuinely feel the police in KL are worse than the criminals because they are ineffective, not present and most likely getting a cut. The politicains are the police masters I wonder how they make so much money.

Malaysia truly Asia (my arse this is a pit of crime)
    KL= Killed by Locals.

This place needs avoiding big time. I have travelled Africa, Yemen, SE Asia for nearly 30 years back packer and 5 star, I am not a squeemish person but I genuinely believe this to be THE most dangerous place I have been due to the vast number of incidents and the frequency of them.... its epidemic.

• Muggings in KL

by Rampage450 Written Aug 19, 2013

Street crime is reaching epidemic proportions in KL. The vast majority of the many expatriates that we know here have been robbed in the street. It is also getting more violent with knives being used increasingly as people are taking precautions and make it more difficult to snatch a bag (short handles, smaller bags etc.). There are certain known (yes - even by the police) hotspots in the centre - mainly what is know as the Golden Triangle area encompassing KLCC, Jalan P. Ramlee, Jalan Sultan Ismail and Bukit Bintang. The visible police presence in these areas is zero. The only time you might see police is when they can use their sirens while escorting fat cat politicians and VIPs (Very Important Parasites) to and from their lunch dates at the Mandarin Oriental hotel. My advice to anyone intending to visit KL is - don't it's not worth the risk and there are far better, and safer, cities to visit in the region.

• Suria KLCC not safe if anything targeted

by fatherof Written Jun 21, 2013

My incident happened in Suria KLCC, at the door that takes you to the fountains in the back in front of the DOME Cafe at around 5:55pm. It was me my wife and our 4 girls ages 7,6,5 and 3. The youngest one was in the stroller which i was pushing. As i got to the door to go out to the fountains/park 3-4 men rushed in front of me and acted like they had changed their mine or didn't know where they were going.The point is that they block the door/exit.Very quickly a crowd formed around me,then i heard my wife say something along the lines of "what are you doing?" apparently a woman pushed her way between me and my wife.While i was turning my head to see what my wife was on about and to tell her to go back because of the men that blocked the exit.I saw a man move through the crowd as if looking for something on the floor next thing i know the man held my leg and started to shake it. I tried to move back away from him but he held on and i didn't have much space to move and still had the stroller in my hands.Few seconds later i'll say 2-3 at the point that the astonishment of what is happening ended and got to the point that i was going to kick him in his head (as it was right there waiting for it and i wish i did it) the man said sorry and ran away.Then like magic the crowd around me disappeared. Money in my pocket was gone, but the good news was my wallet and phone Galaxy s4 was still in my back pockets and my wife and girls were ok.

Now what i find odd about this whole matter. As i said the incident happened in-front of the DOME cafe. 1)There is always a security guard stationed there but when all this was happening he was no where to be seen then i took a walk around the escalators looking for him to report what happened like from no where he appeared where he should have been.
    2)When i told him what happened he was smiling and looked like he didn't care at all.

After writing a report on what happened down in the security office they told me to go to the tourist police to make a report there and so that i can see the CCTV footage.When i got there there were 2 people there already filing reports one of they got the leg shake like me.Then 5 mins later a man walked in who lost him money in KLCC earlier that day but this time on the escalators the person in front of him dropped his water bottle and blocked everyone's way.While i was chatting with him and filing my report another 2 people at least came in.

After filing and printing the report they told me to go back to the security office in KLCC so that i can look at the CCTV footage.What a waste of time the criminals from their movements looked like they knew where the cameras were pointing. And even if they didn't lets just say floor to floor i have more CCTV cameras at home then they do.

Getting you pocket picked is a problem but it can happen, like in crowded places like on trains or buses.But for it to happen in one of the bests malls in KL and right where the security guard should have been and in the manner that it happened. Shows that the authorities have no control of the situation and not only that the criminals do not even fear them if anything it looks like the other way around .

My family and I spent the next 4 days going around with no more then 500MYR in my pocket no wallet no cards not even my phone and my wife with no bag.

So in KL it is good to move with a few friends because if you are faced with a situation like this and you do confront them looks like you are going to have a fight on your hands because as i said above they have no fear of the authorities and they know they have a very good chance they are going to get away with it or wear steel tipped shoes to make that first kick in the head count.So as KL being a family friendly city i give it a zero, never coming back here.

• Bukit Bintang LRT

by Jonjoa Written Dec 20, 2012

I was waiting on the platform during peak hour with my girlfriend trying to catch the LRT to KL sentral this evening. I had my luggage with me so I guess I looked like a tourist. I made the mistake of texting on the platform. And when the train arrived , I promptly placed my phone in my pocket. Then this huge peak hour crowd all surged inside, and I was helping my girlfriend get on the train by pulling her in. Since my attention is on her, someone slipped a hand in my pocket, I did not feel it as there were so many bodies brushing against me (peak hour crowd you see). And when I checked for my phone in the next instance (about 30 sec later), it was gone!

So avoid crowded places especially peak hour on the trains, the crowds are crazy and when you can't, be real aware of your possessions when people are jostling around you. They are quick!! I was furious, and well can't do anything about it. Just learn from it.........The last i saw it (through remote tracking) it was in the area of 24 jalan Ampang Hilir. But too late, i have left the country.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Beware of Bag Snatchers

by aussirose Updated Dec 1, 2012

Beware of Bag Snatchers KL

Kuala Lumpur is normally a pretty safe place, however just recently there have been a few cases of driveby bag snatchers....... so as usual, it is always good to be aware of this and hold your bag, even if it is over your shoulder.

If walking near the road, a safe practice is to place your bag on the opposite shoulder or make sure your partner is between you, your bag and the roadside.

• PICK POCKET IN TRAIN KUALA LUMPUR

by dazzlelim Written Nov 14, 2012

Bloody Hell! Yesterday I was pickpocketed by a group of Indonesians in train station at Mid Valley Kuala Lumpur! One of them blocked my exit when the doors open and the rest pushed me from the back. By the time I managed to squeeze out of the train, my phone was gone. Stupid foreign labourers! I hope they will die terrible deaths and rot in hell! Indonesians are making Malaysia so unsafe. . They are certainly not welcome here!

Be very careful in the train. If you are female stick to the ladies coach. Or pick a coach with less foreign labourers. watch out if they come in groups and stand around the exits.

• Pickpocketers in Bukit Bintang area

by hedgethehog Written Oct 12, 2012

H&M Lot 10

I lost my Samsung S Plus phone today to a pickpocketer while shopping in H&M Lot 10. One second, it was in my pocket. The next second, it was gone. It was partially my mistake for having a part of the phone sticking out of my pocket. After reporting the theft to the staff at H&M, another lady came up to report a stolen purse as well. She said that the purse was taken right out of her bag. Be very careful when travelling in this area. I have never had any issues with this area before this incident but I'm going to be extra careful from now onwards. Be aware of your surroundings, I wasn't.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• Beware of Pickpockets @ Mid Valley Komuter Station

by fionafan79 Updated Apr 3, 2012

On 30/3/2012, my bf (from Canada) and I boarded a commuter around 6.45pm (rush hour) @ Mid Valley KTM Komuter Station. Within minutes upon entering the commuter, he realized that his iPhone 4s which was strapped in front of his chest is missing. This is our first experience in using the commuter train, and as such, were not prepared for the mad, mad crowd of passengers trying to make their way in (and out) of the commuter where everyone was pushed against one another (great opportunity for pickpockets!).

When we arrived at the KL Sentral Police Station (one station from Mid Valley), we were shocked to discover that another Japanese tourist has had his handphone stolen as well, in the same train, at the same time. While comparing both the Japanese tourist and my bf, I observed the same similarities:

1. Both men were playing with their phones while waiting for the commuter.

2. Both men had their hands occupied with shopping bags.

3. Both men were wearing sling bags across their chest (like what tourists usually do!).

According to the Police Officer investigating our case, there has been a lot of similar pickpocket cases recently, and they are trying their best to catch the culprit.

Therefore, this is my advice to all:

1. Do not play with your handphone while waiting for the commuter/bus/train.

2. Ensure that you hold on tight to all your belongings once inside (or while entering) the commuter/bus/train especially when there’s a mad rush and people are bumping against one another.

3. Ensure that you do not carry too many shopping bags with you if you’re planning to board a commuter (or any other mode of public transportation) during rush hour (this means that you’re most probably too occupied with taking care of your shopping bags and less occupied to pay attention to your handphones/wallets).

4. TRY NOT TO LOOK LIKE A TOURIST!! (i.e. sling bags across your chest/waist)

5. Be EXTRA careful if you’re planning to take the commuter @ Midvalley station (am not sure about other stations)

• Singles

• Street Mugging in Kuala Lumpur

by kenfong Written Mar 3, 2012

Report on an incident of being mugged at Bukit Bintang

This report written as a blog is follow up my visit to the Australian High Commission, Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 to lodge a verbal report that I was mugged by five local hooligans on Saturday, January 28, 2012 at Bukit Bintang.

The main purpose is to render yeoman's service of warning fellow Australians visiting the city that such a serious crime is prevalent and be prepared that there could be undesirable elements (animals) watching you in the streets, always waiting for a chance to attack tourists, especially at dark places.

On the evening of January 28, there were more people in the streets of Bukit Bintang than usual enjoying the activities going on for the Saturday evening and also being in the celebration of Lunar New Year. At 9.15 pm, I was in that part of the city after dinner with two friends, Patricia and Richard, fellow Australians, who came for the launching of Betwixt & Between, a fiction written by Pat's belated husband, Dr. Woo Kam Chau. Realising that he had to leave quickly, Richard with Pat was desperately looking for a cab to One Utama Shopping Centre at Bandar Utama, which is quite a distance away to pick up his car there before the shopping complex closed and to send Pat back to her hotel, Le Meredian at KL Sentral.

Not long after Richard found a taxi at the main entrance of Sungai Wang Shopping Centre, but the driver was touting for a fare of 75 ringgits which was exorbitant than normal. Anxious to help, I walked ahead of them looking for another cab. Later, I turned back to look for them; they were no where to be found as they had already left me.

As I was walking back along the road next to the escalator leading to the Bukit Bintang monorail station towards Sungai Wang entrance, five local hooligans attacked me: the first move was hitting my head with a crash helmet, a severe blow that brought me down to the road curb; another one kicked my hip and head when I was already grounded, and then they came for my backpack and wallet. Being conscious I fought for my properties only able to salvage them in just the time when a young constable on the beat came to rescue me from the ordeal. As I was lifted from the ground, I felt pain from a large lump swollen on my forehead and hip, while my elbow was bleeding.

Feeling more secure holding the hand of the constable, he took me across the road, Jalan Bukit Bintang, to the pondok (base) which is less than 200 meters from the spot where I was mugged. The other constables on duty helped to lodge an incident report and radioed for a patrol car to send me to my hotel.

Following on was a night of agony as both my eyes were constantly bathed by ice cubes to bring down the swelling and the trauma of thinking that I could be dead if a knife had been use on me.

The two weeks of revisiting the old country were marred by the incident; in retrospect, the city I left many years ago remains the same where crimes rule the night and certainly there is nothing I can see that has improved livelihood nor lifted poverty of the city dwellers.

• Handbag theft at Lot 10 Hutong Foodcourt

by jwsl Written Dec 25, 2011

My wife and me were having lunch at the busy basement Lot 10 food court and my wife put her handbag behind her back on a covered chair and leaning on it at all times. Halfway, I went to buy another food and she was sitting alone and leaning back on her handbag. At a split second, she was moving her back forward and when she leaned back again, her bag was gone . All in a split second.
    Therefore , please be careful when you eat at public place, even at high end food court.
    Now my wife always put her handbag on her lap while eating at the food court, though a bit discomfort.

• Business Travel

• Beware of pickpockets!!

by pg_teddy Updated Nov 9, 2010

Be very careful of pickpockets while in crowded places or on public transport. I was recetly pickpocketed in KL Sentral. I was on my way to LCCT by shuttle bus. Between the time I bought the ticket and placing my luggage in the bus luggage compartment and getting on the bus I had my wallet lifted. A friend of mine has his mobile phone stolen on the LRT. The modus operandi of the crooks is to look out for travellers. Travellers with backpacks are a prime target. They are very visible, tired and distracted in a new city. They watch for where you put your wallet/phone/valuables after using and then proceed to lift your possesions. The work solo or in groups and use divertionary tactics to distract victims. This includes spitting on your clothes, dropping coins or feigining arguement or fights.

In public transport, move immediately to a corner or a wall. Watch your belongings. Keep them in one place so you do not need to watch multiple items. Place valuables in buttoned/zippered pockets/cases. Use a dummy wallet with small amounts of money.

• Scratch and Win Scum

by karapov Written Jun 11, 2010

Be careful when you going to any shopping mall, there are group of chinese youngter come and approch you for free prizes if you scratch the coupon, no matter what you will win electronic prizes worth more USD4000 or RM10000. The trick is that you have to purchase their product worth RM1000 (which actual cost is only RM200) and you have to pay another RM5000 to collect your prizes worth RM10000 (actually the product only worth RM3000). So be careful if any local group of chinese youngter approach you at shopping mall or car park area.

• MONO RAIL PICK POCKETS

by STARIE Written Feb 7, 2009

My first visit to KL for fifteen years, and it has changed for the worse. I traveled alone on the Mono Rail, when I tried to get off a drunk type male person, kept getting in front of me, stopping me getting off when the doors opened, the next minute another person came close on my other side, then the drunk type, came to life and strode off down the platform, it was only till I looked down on my shorts pocket, I realized they had stolen my wallet, which was even zipped and buttoned down, the police told me that illegals from the PHILIPPINES, where working in gangs on the mono rail, and that many reports where made about the same type of incident as mine, although it is said security guards are on the platform, this was not so on the station I was robbed, on the journey home with Emirates, the cabin staff told me that on any stopover in KL, they are warned not to use the mono rail due to thefts etc, to late for me to find out, so please be careful, its not a nice thing to happen, and this was first time in all my travels, this has happened to me!

• Seniors
    • Singles

Instant Answers: Kuala Lumpur

• Oct 13, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Thank You for all your comments, they're very helpful. It is a shame for them but apparently, these are mostly due to the politics. The politicians just don't want to do anything to stop this, and according to some of my friends in Malaysia, these corrupt politicians as well as those under them denied any negatives being said about Malaysia and going as far as claiming it's "The Safest Country in the World". I really had no idea if they were joking or not but Malaysia had the chance to change the whole government which has been ruling Malaysia for more than 50 years, can you believe it? The first reaction I had was "I didn't know Malaysia is a communist or a dictator country" While majority has voted for the opposition in the last election, they just somehow didn't win it, seems like "miracles" happen in Malaysia.

• Oct 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

so please never spend your money in malaysia, advice from citizens

• Oct 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Yes, crimes are very rampant in Malaysia nowadays, especially in the cities. Your are considered lucky if you are still alive or unhurt after the incident. The criminals like to stab and snatch, if you are a difficult victim or well built. If you let go of your belonging and gave in, then they will let u go. I am sorry to hear that this happens to tourists too, as they are easy targets. Malaysian police are very busy everyday tending to these cases & I'm sure the statistics is higher than the one reported on any news portal. Kidnapping, raping, snatch theft, mugging. murder.. you name it. So don't aspect them to solve your problems in a day. We always carry something to protect yourself like a pepper spray or an umbrella. If taser are legal here, it would be great. Can't wait to zap them... >;(

• Jun 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM