Theft & Pickpocketing, Kuala Lumpur

Know about this?

Suria Mall
    by Paulm1987
    Chest stabbed 6 inches below shoulder.
    by DaveRamsay
  • Theft & Pickpocketing
    by gerald.bishop
  • MONO RAIL PICK POCKETS

by STARIE Written Feb 7, 2009

My first visit to KL for fifteen years, and it has changed for the worse. I traveled alone on the Mono Rail, when I tried to get off a drunk type male person, kept getting in front of me, stopping me getting off when the doors opened, the next minute another person came close on my other side, then the drunk type, came to life and strode off down the platform, it was only till I looked down on my shorts pocket, I realized they had stolen my wallet, which was even zipped and buttoned down, the police told me that illegals from the PHILIPPINES, where working in gangs on the mono rail, and that many reports where made about the same type of incident as mine, although it is said security guards are on the platform, this was not so on the station I was robbed, on the journey home with Emirates, the cabin staff told me that on any stopover in KL, they are warned not to use the mono rail due to thefts etc, to late for me to find out, so please be careful, its not a nice thing to happen, and this was first time in all my travels, this has happened to me!

• Trains
    • Singles
    • Seniors

• the_wanderlust's Profile Photo

be careful of your things

by the_wanderlust Written May 5, 2008

when shopping in petaling street, take good care of your personal belongings. don't lose sight of your bags and other things. a local warned me about this because some pickpockets roam around the area.

also, when you want to buy things, its good to haggle, haggle and haggle some more but be really really sure you're going to buy those things because you don't want to be in trouble. they'll get angry if you ask for discount and then not buy the item.

• Pickpocketers at Chinatown - learn how they work

by pinkee93 Written Jan 2, 2008

Was a victim of pickpocketing at Petaling street/Chinatown. A woman (plump Malay carrying a big haversack) bumped into me n walked on slowly. Did not immed suspect (big mistake) but instinct told me to check my bag. Realised my digicam was missing, n still went to check inner compartment thou i was quite sure i put it in outer compartment. Called out to my friend just a dist away n then saw a slit in my bag. Fren then said a woman brushed past her leg n picked up sth black (my cam pouch), but it was at night n she din see properly either. Moreover the woman's bag was open, so she assumed the woman dropped the thing. Overall a bad incident that could have been avoided but we were both too stunned.

Points to note that will make u less susceptible to pickpocketers:
    1. Pickpocketters are usu NOT SOLO. The one that bumped into me IS NOT THE SAME ONE as the one that picked up the cam, cause me and my friend saw different women walking away in different directions. the former can walk away casually cuz she is NOT THE ONE with ur stuff!
    2. DO NOT carry a cloth bag that can be easily slit (i was carrying lesportsac, dumb)
    3. BEST DO NOT carry a bag at all. Stuff money, phone etc in ur pockets (tight around your legs). Bring MINIMAL
    4. Beware of ANYONE that bumps into you or distracts you
    6. DO NOT be alone at any point of time
    7. Wear plain n conservative (tees n berms or jeans)
    8. Never go after your shopping trip elsewhere. Chinatown at night has good atmosphere n bargains but go after a trip to the hotel to set down ur things
    9. scream if ur instint tells u to! sounds dumb, but better be safe than sorry. the pickpocketers may be taken aback n drop the stuff or try to run, which we'll know to give chase. of course, if u meet a guy pickpocketer, not so wise. Afterall ur life is more important.

This is not meant to deter you from going Chinatown, but just be extra careful..i'm sadder at the loss of my photos stored inside than the loss of the camera! dun let it happen to u!

• School Holidays

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Beware of Speeding Handbag Snatchers!

by longsanborn Written Nov 7, 2007

Handbag snatchers are quite rampant now. These petty criminals are getting more braver all the time. Usually, they operate in pairs, and mostly on fast speeding motorbikes; the driver will speed by very fast and the second guy will grab, viciously tug and even push the handbag owners. A few of the victims ended-up in hospitals. Usually the whole thing would happen so fast that no-one had time to re-act.

So, to all ladies, there is no point carrying and walking around on the streets with fancy beautiful handbags. Be extra careful when you carry a bagpack.

• Business Travel

• cs_zee's Profile Photo

Puduraya Bus Terminal ( Hentian Puduraya )

by cs_zee Written Oct 30, 2007

The biggest ( and invariably most crowded ) bus terminal, located in the city centre near Chinatown. Beware of pickpockets, ticket touts and other undesirables, especially late at night.

Puduraya Bus Terminal ( Hentian Puduraya )

• cs_zee's Profile Photo

Stay Safe !

by cs_zee Written Oct 28, 2007

You're unlikely to be a victim of violent crime in KL, but pickpockets are common and bag snatching is on the rise. Keep a close eye on your valuables in crowds, especially street markets and public transport, and hold your bag on the side away from the street if there are motorbikes around.

Malaysian law requires that visitors carry their passport at all times, and both police and "Rela" volunteers carry out spot checks for illegal immigrants.

• mizzdreyhere's Profile Photo

Avoid crowded public transports!!

by mizzdreyhere Written Jan 23, 2007

Pickpockets are bold in KL city, be alert while boarding public transport (bus, light rail, train...) there are eyes around you watching which pocket you put your valuables in. It is best to put your valuables in a zipped or deep pocket.

Try to avoid taking the public transport during rush hour (8am-9:30am; 6pm-7:30pm) because that is when the public transports get crowded and the pickpockets make their move

While boarding public transport, do be mindful of your bags as well. There are incidents where a snatch thief grabbed a passenger's bag just as the doors of the train was closing and ran off with it. The victim couldn't do anything as the train had already started moving.

So far only the KL monorail has guards stationed at the passenger platform.

• PICK POCKET

by zulkifli_mamat Written Dec 8, 2006

1.NEVER CARRY MORE MONEY THAN RM 50 ( USD 10 )
    2.USE A SLING BAG
    3.CARRY MORE MONEY IN YOUR SHOES ( PUT IN YOUR SOCK )
    4.ALWAYS WALK I A GROUP
    5.FRIENDLY WITH OTHER MALAYSIAN
    6.ALWAYS WALK COUNTER WISE
    7.BEWARE WITH THE MOTORIST ESPECIALLY DOUBLE SEAT .
    8.ALWAYS CHAIN YOUR WALLET TO YOUR BODY.
    9.ALWAYS KEEP IN YOUR POCKET PEPPER SPRAY OR ANYTHING CAN IMMOBILIZED THE PICKPOCKET( USE WATER GUN WITH PEPPER POWDER )

LOCATION ; UNKNOWN URBAN AREA

• Trains

• Piecesmalaysia's Profile Photo

Pick Pockets

by Piecesmalaysia Written Aug 19, 2006

Do beware of pickpockets everywhere you go. There are alot of pickpockets along Petaling Street, the so call Chinatown since the area is always pack with tourists.
    Also do beware in any congested and pack jam area where everyone will start pushing their way through. The pickpocket likes this type of area.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Beware of motorbike snatch thieves

by aukahkay Written Feb 9, 2006

Kuala Lumpur is a city infested with petty crime. If you are in the tourist areas of KL like Bukit Bintang, do be very careful when walking on the sidewalk next to the road. Ladies - do NOT carry a handbag with a long shoulder strap slung diagnonally across your chest. There are motorcycle snatch thieves who will drive past you, grab your handbag strap and yank away your handbag. You could sustain a nasty fall or worse, be dragged onto the oncoming traffic. Our local newspapers carry reports of such snatch thefts from time to time.

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Beware of snatch thieves!!

by BorneoGrrl Updated Dec 28, 2005

I'm sad to say that in a friendly country such as Malaysia, crimes do happen in the most vicious way. Many people, especially women and the elderly, have become victims of the notorious snatch thieves and ended up injured and for some even died. These crooks work in pairs on motorcycles, the pillion will snatch bags of unknowing victims off their shoulders or hands as they ride past them, causing injury as they fall and be dragged until the theives get hold of the bags. Be watchful as you walk by the roadsides and don't let your bags just hang over your shoulder. If possible, keep all valuables & cash in a pouch or in your pockets or wear a sling bag / backpack.

• Women's Travel

• My bag snatched in KL

by frangelico Updated Dec 28, 2005

In KL for only 5 hrs, when our bag was snatched in broad daylight in peak traffic. After stopping at a bus stop (where 4 boys were sitting on their parked motor bikes) to buy water, hubby was near the curb for a few seconds when a guy dressed in all back, black helmet, on a black motorbike came from behind and snatched our bag (with our handycam, digital camera & other gear) from my his shoulder and sped off, leaving smoke behind and too fast to see number plate. It was too sudden and he was thrown off to the side of the road shocked and dumbfounded and I was screaming. People in traffic across the road saw it all happen and so did the guard (from a nearby car park). 5 seconds after this a guy on a bike stopped and said he was a plainclothes policeman and asked which way the thief went and sped off to follow him. The old guard told us the exact thing has happened at the same spot 4 times in the last 2 weeks ! The tourist police arrived and asked us questions and have apparently known this black spot andnot bothered to man it !!

They promptly drove us to the tourist police station. The woman constable on a power trip was least interested. Upon filling forms we realised that our mistake was "Walking with the traffic flow". The police officer sort of wrote the incident report on her own, when I tried to fill in, I was put in my place. We were shocked, angry and frustrated and scared of walking anywhere near the traffic after that.

We tried buying the same brand camera but they'd never heard of the "Ricoh. Interestingly, no shop had it except 1 which had a high end Ricoh camera which the store guy had no idea or sales pitch on. Anyway, the lesson here is "walk against the traffic flow, keep an eye on traffic, people etc", mind your wallet and valuables. I never thought it could happen to me and yet it did. I did one good thing - I had a money belt on my waist which was very helpful.

• Women's Travel

• gnh's Profile Photo

Beware of Bag Snatchers

by gnh Written Aug 31, 2005

There were many reports of hand-bag snatching in the newspapers some months ago especially when the cases resulted in severe injury or death.

SO be careful, don't be too conspicuous !

I have witnessed a snatch robbery in broad daylight, when a pair of men on a motorcycle came from behind a couple and snatched the bag of the girl who was nearer the road ........ and they boy did nothing ......... too shocked and dumbfounded .........

• Theives

by ibster101 Written Aug 11, 2005

Had my shoes nicked from the National Mosque so wear some old flip flops if you decide to go there, also had my rucksack stolen in Times Square which contained my camera, so we have no pictures from our whole holiday :-(

• Street criminals

by momossa Written Nov 23, 2004

Be careful of some people who will try to make some kind of lovely dialogue with you and at som epoinjt they will to ask you to change some US dollars for them in local currency or other currency, may be you home currency after they know it.
    The fact is those are fake Dollars, yes and it happened to me.

Instant Answers: Kuala Lumpur

• Apr 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM

It's great to have all these cautious rules - what to do what not to do - but why not just make it a lot easier by not setting foot in such a hellhole?

• Oct 13, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Thank You for all your comments, they're very helpful. It is a shame for them but apparently, these are mostly due to the politics. The politicians just don't want to do anything to stop this, and according to some of my friends in Malaysia, these corrupt politicians as well as those under them denied any negatives being said about Malaysia and going as far as claiming it's "The Safest Country in the World". I really had no idea if they were joking or not but Malaysia had the chance to change the whole government which has been ruling Malaysia for more than 50 years, can you believe it? The first reaction I had was "I didn't know Malaysia is a communist or a dictator country" While majority has voted for the opposition in the last election, they just somehow didn't win it, seems like "miracles" happen in Malaysia.

• Oct 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

so please never spend your money in malaysia, advice from citizens

• Oct 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Yes, crimes are very rampant in Malaysia nowadays, especially in the cities. Your are considered lucky if you are still alive or unhurt after the incident. The criminals like to stab and snatch, if you are a difficult victim or well built. If you let go of your belonging and gave in, then they will let u go. I am sorry to hear that this happens to tourists too, as they are easy targets. Malaysian police are very busy everyday tending to these cases & I'm sure the statistics is higher than the one reported on any news portal. Kidnapping, raping, snatch theft, mugging. murder.. you name it. So don't aspect them to solve your problems in a day. We always carry something to protect yourself like a pepper spray or an umbrella. If taser are legal here, it would be great. Can't wait to zap them... >;(

• Jun 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM

My incident happened in Suria KLCC, at the door that takes you to the fountains in the back in front of the DOME Cafe at around 5:55pm. It was me my wife and our 4 girls ages 7,6,5 and 3. The youngest one was in the stroller which i was pushing. As i got to the door to go out to the fountains/park 3-4 men rushed in front of me and acted like they had changed their mine or didn't know where they were going.The point is that they block the door/exit.Very quickly a crowd formed around me,then i heard my wife say something along the lines of "what are you doing?" apparently a woman pushed her way between me and my wife.While i was turning my head to see what my wife was on about and to tell her to go back because of the men that blocked the exit.I saw a man move through the crowd as if looking for something on the floor next thing i know the man held my leg and started to shake it. I tried to move back away from him but he held on and i didn't have much space to move and still had the stroller in my hands.Few seconds later i'll say 2-3 at the point that the astonishment of what is happening ended and got to the point that i was going to kick him in his head (as it was right there waiting for it and i wish i did it) the man said sorry and ran away.Then like magic the crowd around me disappeared. Money in my pocket was gone, but the good news was my wallet and phone Galaxy s4 was still in my back pockets and my wife and girls were ok.

Now what i find odd about this whole matter. As i said the incident happened in-front of the DOME cafe. 1)There is always a security guard stationed there but when all this was happening he was no where to be seen then i took a walk around the escalators looking for him to report what happened like from no where he appeared where he should have been.
    2)When i told him what happened he was smiling and looked like he didn't care at all.

After writing a report on what happened down in the security office they told me to go to the tourist police to make a report there and so that i can see the CCTV footage.When i got there there were 2 people there already filing reports one of they got the leg shake like me.Then 5 mins later a man walked in who lost him money in KLCC earlier that day but this time on the escalators the person in front of him dropped his water bottle and blocked everyone's way.While i was chatting with him and filing my report another 2 people at least came in.

After filing and printing the report they told me to go back to the security office in KLCC so that i can look at the CCTV footage.What a waste of time the criminals from their movements looked like they knew where the cameras were pointing. And even if they didn't lets just say floor to floor i have more CCTV cameras at home then they do.

Getting you pocket picked is a problem but it can happen, like in crowded places like on trains or buses.But for it to happen in one of the bests malls in KL and right where the security guard should have been and in the manner that it happened. Shows that the authorities have no control of the situation and not only that the criminals do not even fear them if anything it looks like the other way around .

My family and I spent the next 4 days going around with no more then 500MYR in my pocket no wallet no cards not even my phone and my wife with no bag.

So in KL it is good to move with a few friends because if you are faced with a situation like this and you do confront them looks like you are going to have a fight on your hands because as i said above they have no fear of the authorities and they know they have a very good chance they are going to get away with it or wear steel tipped shoes to make that first kick in the head count.So as KL being a family friendly city i give it a zero, never coming back here.